Ruger American up grade

rem22250

I just bought a Boyds stock for my Ruger American and thought that I would post some picks. You get the trigger guard the V blocks and all the screws with it. I had very little sanding to do to get the action to fit real nice and to have the barrel to be free floated. I did bed the two metal V blocks. I may have a couple hours in it. I did have to fit the mag that was a little tight. I'm pretty impressed with the stock and how it went together.

Like it!!! Been thinking of going this route myself. Are you using the factory magazine? If so, did you have to do anything special to the stock to make it work? Some pics of mag installed would be great. Thanks

If Boyds were to start making a left-hand action laminate stock for the Ruger American I'd buy one.
Mine is a 7/08 short action.
I bought one several years that was for a Savage model 11 left-hand stock for a right-hand action & I rasped out the bolt notch on left side of stock & filled the right hand notch with J. B. weld. Bed the action & it turned out very well. Just bought the Ruger American about a month ago & it will shoot 5 Sierra 140gr pro-hunters in 1" @ 100 yds. Good deer rifle.
Yes, I'd like to know how yours, rem22250, turns out.
About a year or so after I'd done my Savage Boyds started making Savage L/H stocks so I'll wait on them this time. `

cwcbwdtx I can get some pics tomorrow. Yes its the factory mag. I put a washer under the plastic tab that they give you and the mag dropped in. I had a little sanding on the inside of the opening to get it to fit. Not really a lot of sanding. I can tell more with the pics.

Nice...Ive heard nothing but good about those rifles. For the price cant beat them. Im curious if it holds the same groups since the new stock or are you getting better?

Originally Posted By: rem22250cwcbwdtx I can get some pics tomorrow. Yes its the factory mag. I put a washer under the plastic tab that they give you and the mag dropped in. I had a little sanding on the inside of the opening to get it to fit. Not really a lot of sanding. I can tell more with the pics.

I surely would appreciate that rem22250

The trigger springs on these rifles are very easy to change also.

With the action out of the stock, locate the pin that the trigger pivots on.

There is a E clip holding it in place. Carefully pull the clip and store it safely until it's time to reassemble everything.

Pull the main pin and the trigger will lift right out.

With a pair of small needle nose pliers ..... we are talking small ........ carefully work the spring that engages the back side of the trigger out and up.

Now, this spring is fairly stiff. I am sure with it in hand and some searching one can find a suitable replacement.

Now, don't try this at home ........... but I broke down a retracking ink pen and stole the spring out of it. Same diameter but longer.

A good pair of small side cutters took care of that.

My .223 compact came out a little light for my taste and I have the original spring saved and will take to town in the near future and go spring shopping!

A spring in between the original and my robbed and modified pen spring would be the ticket for me.

These guns are very utilitarian but also VERY accurate.

The OP has a very nice project going there and the former utilitarian gun is also going to look nice!

Very good and I certainly learned something here!!

Three 44s

The first target is with the original stock and the second target is today with new stock. I did clean the barrel and adjust the scope. It was only 20 out so I didn't spend a lot of time. The third and four pic are the tab that holds the mag in place. I put a washer under it to raise it up so the mag would snap in place. I also put a small radius on the front edge. In the four pic you can see a under cut that is suppose to hold the mag. I may make a new tab that is a little thicker. One other thing that I noticed is the front bolt on the trigger guard if you tighten it to much it will touch the bolt. This is the prairie hunter stock which is pretty close to the original stock and they had these in stock. The other stock they offer is like a custom stock that they offer. For the price of this stock 113.50 it's a pretty sweat stock and the finish on the stock is great and no more flex. If I can answerer any other question feel free.

3 shot group out of my 18" compact 22-250 ruger American, they definitely are shooters. Think im going to have to break down and get me a boyds stock now. Thanks again for the details.

Last edited:
Cwçbw I'm curious about what you expect to gain by changing stocks, that group looks about as good as it gets.

Originally Posted By: AWSCwçbw I'm curious about what you expect to gain by changing stocks, that group looks about as good as it gets.

Only looks

Originally Posted By: rem22250The first target is with the original stock and the second target is today with new stock. I did clean the barrel and adjust the scope. It was only 20 out so I didn't spend a lot of time. The third and four pic are the tab that holds the mag in place. I put a washer under it to raise it up so the mag would snap in place. I also put a small radius on the front edge. In the four pic you can see a under cut that is suppose to hold the mag. I may make a new tab that is a little thicker. One other thing that I noticed is the front bolt on the trigger guard if you tighten it to much it will touch the bolt. This is the prairie hunter stock which is pretty close to the original stock and they had these in stock. The other stock they offer is like a custom stock that they offer. For the price of this stock 113.50 it's a pretty sweat stock and the finish on the stock is great and no more flex. If I can answerer any other question feel free.

Looks like your groups opened up some after the stock. As for the rear action screw binding the bolt the solution is to slightly remove material from the action screw or shim it until it no longer binds on the rifle bolt. Youre the second person ive seen mentioned having to shim the magazine catch.

I think if youre able to torque it properly youre groups will shrink again.

Originally Posted By: Three 44sThe trigger springs on these rifles are very easy to change also.

There is a E clip holding it in place. Carefully pull the clip and store it safely until it's time to reassemble everything.

With a pair of small needle nose pliers ..... we are talking small ........ carefully work the spring that engages the back side of the trigger out and up.

Now, this spring is fairly stiff. I am sure with it in hand and some searching one can find a suitable replacement.

Now, don't try this at home ........... but I broke down a retracking ink pen and stole the spring out of it. Same diameter but longer.

My .223 compact came out a little light for my taste and I have the original spring saved and will take to town in the near future and go spring shopping!

A spring in between the original and my robbed and modified pen spring would be the ticket for me.

The OP has a very nice project going there and the former utilitarian gun is also going to look nice!

Three 44s

Or you could just simply remove the spring, reassemble the trigger and use it without the spring installed. I tried it and it works great, trigger resets just fine, so far not a single problem. Try it, see if it works for you, if you don't like it, simply reinstall the spring.

What happened Is I switched stocks and then shot the gun. It took three groups to get it back to where it shot originally. As far as the screw goes your correct.

Originally Posted By: FALFireOriginally Posted By: Three 44sThe trigger springs on these rifles are very easy to change also.

Three 44s

Or you could just simply remove the spring, reassemble the trigger and use it without the spring installed. I tried it and it works great, trigger resets just fine, so far not a single problem. Try it, see if it works for you, if you don't like it, simply reinstall the spring.

Interesting. What is the trigger pull at now? In the ounces? And does the safety trigger still work or is it limp/non effective?

Good deOriginally Posted By: rem22250What happened Is I switched stocks and then shot the gun. It took three groups to get it back to where it shot originally. As far as the screw goes your correct.

Good deal, what did you torque to? Just curious as ive tried 30in and 65in with no difference?

Originally Posted By: shooterfpgaOriginally Posted By: FALFireOriginally Posted By: Three 44sThe trigger springs on these rifles are very easy to change also.

Three 44s

Interesting. What is the trigger pull at now? In the ounces? And does the safety trigger still work or is it limp/non effective?

Trigger, safety, everything, works as normal, the trigger pull weight according to my Lyman trigger gauge shows an average pull weight just slightly less than 2 lbs and very consistent. I initially tried changing the spring as described above but then tried it without the spring and achieved the trigger pull weight I was looking for plus everything worked great.

Mine is the American in 243Win and it's primary use is a walking predator rifle.

Again try it without the spring, if you are not satisfied simply reinstall the spring.

Back