Cool morning double

Snowshoes

What a difference one day can make with our weather. It was above freezing with rain showers on Jan. 01 and today its minus 22C ( -8F) with 4 inches of fresh snow (wind chill of -28C …. -18F). The plan this morning was to try some calling near the gravel pit but on the walk in I noticed a fair number of coyote tracks. Plans changed and I set up at the end of a dirt pile to watch coyote trails that would lead to & from a poultry farm. There is a slough bottom just to the west of me that runs a couple hundred yards to the north. From my slightly elevated position I had a good view of the area including the whole slough.
Twenty minutes pass before seeing my first coyote and its shortly joined by another. They are on the north side of the slough and are angling to the southeast. The coyotes are on a slow trot and when they get to the east side of the slough I move into position for a shot.
They keep on their intended course and Im about try stop them with a bark but I don’t have to. A small flock of gray partridges bust from the stubble in front of coyotes and glide a few feet past me before diving into the safety of the tall grass. The coyotes are both now standing broadside and I pick the closest one. A 142 yard shot puts it down.
I was sitting at the dirt mound that is over the coyotes shoulder… the slough is between the coyote and dirt mound.

I quickly chamber another round but the coyotes partner is gone and I never get a chance for a shot. Something to my left catches my eye and I see a different coyote on the west side of the slough trotting away. I swing over to it and just as I pick up the coyote in the scope it does me the favour of stopping. A squeeze of the trigger sends the coyote into a frantic spin before piling up. (later ranged at 170 yards)
I guess I missed seeing this coyote in the field as my focus was on the pair. In this pic., I would have been sitting on the mound roughly above where the coyotes front paw is.

The mercury is suppose to dip down this evening which will make for a cool morning hunt tomorrow. The weather channel is saying, -29C ( -20F) with a wind chill of -41C (-42F). There will be an extra layer of clothing required for those temps. Yikes!!

Excellent! It seems to have finally cleared off here. Been having lots of fog lately. Lots of hoar frost. Temp in the mid teens below F. Wind calm. I should be out calling but the wife forgot to plug in my truck when she unplugged her car this morning. Oh well. I need a young feller to build a fire under my [beeep] to git out hunting.

Once again great write up and congrats on the double. Just curious what kind of cold weather gear are you wearing that permits you to be able to sit still for 20 min in - 23? My current setup i can barely get a 15 min stand in before i have to be up and moving again.

thumbs-up-_zps08c32092.jpg

Think Arctic Gear. I wear mid weightpolyester long johns. 300 weight polyester fleece pants, fleece shirt, fleece pullovers, then insulated bibs and down parka. Then snow camo cover ups and mitts or RefridgeWear foam lined gloves with hand warmers in them. Snow camo face mask over fleece face mask. I wear white Bata Bunny boots on my feet.
For a 250 lb man that means the coverups, even 3xl are never big enough.

Last edited:
Snowshoes--I sure wish I could get the coyotes around North DaColder to stand around waiting for me to shoot them. One thing though, you knew the correct spot to go for your setup. Last count I heard from you was 48 coyotes, so you are at least up to 50 now.

Thanks for the photos and CONGRATULATIONS on a COLD, but successful outing.

Congrats! We are looking at -47C tomorrow with the windchill. Going out in the morning to get on some fresh wolf tracks after the snow we got this afternoon! Stay warm and good luck tomorrow!

Thank you all
thumbup1.gif

Originally Posted By: YotarunnerOnce again great write up and congrats on the double. Just curious what kind of cold weather gear are you wearing that permits you to be able to sit still for 20 min in - 23? My current setup i can barely get a 15 min stand in before i have to be up and moving again.

I dress in number of light layers. I don't get too bulked up by clothes that way and if I need to cool down some, I can unzip a layer.
This morning I wore, long sleeve Helly Hansen under garment, long sleeve fleece shirt, Wind River fleece jacket. Pants,then its a pair of Predator camo Thinsulate bibs with a pair of Predator camo coveralls. Lastly a Kings winter Camo wind blocker fleece jacket.
Sounds like a fair bit of clothes but not really that bad.
Mukluk's with two pairs of quality socks for the feet. For the hands, a set of Columbia light gloves inside heavy wool lined mitts ( with hand warmers in each mitt)
Facemask and fur hat for the ole block.
I will add long johns and a vest if the mercury goes much lower.

Originally Posted By: SilverfoxSnowshoes--I sure wish I could get the coyotes around North DaColder to stand around waiting for me to shoot them. One thing though, you knew the correct spot to go for your setup. Last count I heard from you was 48 coyotes, so you are at least up to 50 now.

Thanks for the photos and CONGRATULATIONS on a COLD, but successful outing.

I was back out this afternoon and this one makes coyote number 53

It was -25C this afternoon as the wife and I drove home from the city. With home in sight, I point & commented, I think I may try calling that ravine later this afternoon.

Finished up on some chores and awhile later I come back into the house and the wife says, isn't it about time for you to go coyote hunting.... yep you bet and I head downstairs to get ready.
Drive a mile from home and park by a hay shed, then walk north a quarter mile to a point of trees that jot into the field. Start off with a couple howls and get two or three coyotes howling back from nearby. Wait for a bit but nothing comes into the field so I try a some yelps but the reed is partially froze on the tone board. Fix that issue and finally get some yelps out, which is answered by a challenge howl from a coyote in the trees. I return with a challenge howl and here comes the coyote on a fast trot. It stops at 70 yards facing straight towards me, I have to adjust the shooting sticks a bit to get lined up on coyote chest but it catches the movement. The coyotes not sure what's up so it turns around and starts trotting away. I swing the cross hairs on the south end of a northbound coyote just as it decides to stop to look back..... bad decision on the coyotes part! Drop the coyote in it's tracks, then grab the howler and fight with the reed to get some more yelps out.... sad excuse for yelps, I must admit...... not surprising nothing else showed.
The forecast is now -30C for the morning with a wind chill of -42C.... The coyotes should be hungry
Only us crazy coyotes hunters venture into those temperatures with a smile on our faces!

Wow! by the sounds of some of the cold temperatures mentioned I'd be looking for spots that are out of the wind tomorrow
smile.gif

and like mentioned, nothing gets the blood pumping like a coyote coming into shooting range! it does take the mind off being cold, LOL

good luck to everyone in the frigid hunting grounds

First time all winter I can actually say its winter. -25°F at the moment. Dead calm. Full moon night. . I've seen it this cold here inOctober . Weird weather. All this warm wx makes a guy feel, un manly!
unsure.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: gumboot458 First time all winter I can actually say its winter. -25°F at the moment. Dead calm. Full moon night. . I've seen it this cold here inOctober . Weird weather. All this warm wx makes a guy feel, un manly!
unsure.gif

I hear you, it's been warmer than normal here ( well up till a couple days ago)
smile.gif

Im heading out in an hour and the windchill right now is -44C (- 47.2 F ) Extra layers of clothes today
crazy.gif

Back