Leupold VX-R vs Vortex Viper HS

Originally Posted By: GhostmanTube size has NOTHING to do with glsss quality, only internal windage and elevation adjustment range.

I know. Still trying to decide - VX3 w/ slightly better glass & smaller dia. tube or VX-R w/ slightly inferior glass & larger dia. tube...

I have or have had every generation of the Vari-X III, VX-III, VX-3, and an old Vari-X II in both 40m and 50mm objectives, with magnification ranges in 1.5x5, 2.5x8, 3.5x10, 4.5x14, and 6.5x20. I also have a Swarovski A series 3x9 1" tube, and a Swarovski PH 2.5-10 30mm tube. The Swarovski PH was their top scope a few years ago until they refreshed the product line and replaced it with the z5 and z6. The PH retailed for $1500 for comparison. I have very good vision still and pretty good night vision. Having used all the scopes listed, I can honestly say that the only scope that I felt there is a noticeable difference that I could really see is the Swarovski PH. It cost three times as much so I would hope there was at least a little difference.

Don't over think the glass, the current glass on both the VX-R and VX-3 is so close I don't feel you would be able to see the difference, I can't at least. Go with the scope that offers the features that you want. If you think the illuminated reticle is something you will use get the VX-R. If it isn't then get the VX-3. We hunt at night here with lights and the red dot of the VX-3 illuminated, or the VX-R is awesome. If I wasn't hunting at night, I would get a VX-3.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: GhostmanTube size has NOTHING to do with glsss quality, only internal windage and elevation adjustment range. Exactly. And the 30mm has more room for the push button illumination stuff in there.

Here's another question... How much difference in clarity/low light brightness between the VX3 and VX2?

Would you be better off going with a vortex over a VX2?

Originally Posted By: TXCOONDOGThe VX2 glass is about the same as the Viper, but the VX2 tracks better.

Could you elaborate on what you mean? I'm a long time bird hunter and archery hunter for big game so magnified scopes aren't my expertise.

Originally Posted By: D-NastyOriginally Posted By: TXCOONDOGThe VX2 glass is about the same as the Viper, but the VX2 tracks better.

Could you elaborate on what you mean? I'm a long time bird hunter and archery hunter for big game so magnified scopes aren't my expertise.

The Leupold adjustment system is renowned for its reliability. Repeatable and precise adjustments is often refered to as tracking. As in the crosshairs move (track) exactly where you move them to.

I think I am with Tim N on this. A VX-2 4-12 sounds swell.

Originally Posted By: gregsVXR would be my choice and I have a Vortex and 2 VXR's, the VXR is clearer in low light and I have bad eyesight.

Which Vortex and VXR's do you have? I am fairly convinced that the Leupold is the way to to go for me based off of of the significant preference for Leupold in this thread. The VXR 3-9x40 is the one I find the most appealing, just convincing myself to pony up the cash is another story.

I've been eyeballing the VX-II 3-9x40 and 4-12x40 as well since they are more budget friendly.

The only reason that the Vortex scopes are still stuck in my mind as I have had the 1-4x PST and it was great, plus Cabelas has a smoking deal on the 2.5-10x44($329) and 4-16x44($399), plus I have a $100 gift card.

With that said, that VXR is $400 after my gift card.

Originally Posted By: D-NastyOriginally Posted By: gregsVXR would be my choice and I have a Vortex and 2 VXR's, the VXR is clearer in low light and I have bad eyesight.

Which Vortex and VXR's do you have? I am fairly convinced that the Leupold is the way to to go for me based off of of the significant preference for Leupold in this thread. The VXR 3-9x40 is the one I find the most appealing, just convincing myself to pony up the cash is another story.

I've been eyeballing the VX-II 3-9x40 and 4-12x40 as well since they are more budget friendly.

The only reason that the Vortex scopes are still stuck in my mind as I have had the 1-4x PST and it was great, plus Cabelas has a smoking deal on the 2.5-10x44($329) and 4-16x44($399), plus I have a $100 gift card.

With that said, that VXR is $400 after my gift card. nice. i use a cabelas credit card throughout the year and build up cash to spend at cabelas. im up to $450 this year and its just burning a hole in my pocket. im trying to save for 6 more months and i should be able to get the leica 1600 yrd. rangefinder for free, coupled with coupons.

Back