Max load accuracy

Sometimes you can find accuracy over and above the published max. Most reloading manuals have different top end loads. It's up to the reloader to find out what works best for his/her rifle.

Like Ornery said...

I have some below published max that are perfect. And others that are above. The books are guides and the individual rifle will tell you when you hit max.

I typically find an accuracy node well below max, then another at or above. In that case, I take the faster one every time...even if its the less accurate of the two nodes.

Originally Posted By: liliysdadI typically find an accuracy node well below max, then another at or above. In that case, I take the faster one every time...even if its the less accurate of the two nodes.

Pretty much exactly what I do, unless the accuracy difference is extreme.

Every rifle I've owned has given best accuracy very close to max loads, either over or under. I've also noticed that there are a couple loads that the rifle will shoot accurately. What I mean by this is I may find an accurate load just above the starting load that starts getting less accurate as I increase the charge. But at some point it will become accurate again as I keep increasing the charge. Luckily it usually happens before pressure signs show up.

So my observations have been very similar to liliysdad.

I load almost everything at or near max, and some a bit over "book max". The key is to know which powders perform best at or near max, and choose accordingly.......

Originally Posted By: nocternalWill I typically get better accuracy at max loads?

If you find the right powder, bullet, primer combo for your rifle, then yes.

If you try the wrong powder, bullet, primer combo for your rifle, then no.

Nosler data

If you go to the link, pick a cartridge, pick a bullet, you will see several powders listed. You will see starting loads through maximum loads with several powders. You will also notice a * by the most accurate load with that powder. Few are at the maximum load, but some will be. If you want speed, you can look at the list of powders and you will be able to pick one or two to try. They even list the best choice with their testing, while it may not be a fast load, and your rifle may not like it at all. Change bullet weight, and you will have to start over.

Several reloading manuals, and a little research, will go a long ways toward getting speed and accuracy. ALWAYS start with the starting load, and work up.

Last edited:
The February issue of Handloader Magazine has a couple of interesting that may shed some real light on the issue of max accuracy. I would suggest you spend a little money and invest in a couple of truly great articles one about powder and the 2nd which almost coinsides with your statement on max load vs. guns. It was a discussion about the 270 winchester, by 4 great contributing authors, including O'Conner, Walters, Carmichael, and i forget the last one. Worth you time and money.
The magazine is published bi-monthly and i'm sure there are others on this forum who receive it.

Originally Posted By: nocternalWill I typically get better accuracy at max loads?
There seems to be some disagreement as to the meaning of the question. I read the question to mean """ will I get best accuracy at my rifles maximum load"""
Some seem to be reading the question to mean "" will I get best accuracy at published book maximum loads"""
The two concepts are seldom equal. Published data is a guide not a gauge. Anyone that has some reloading experience under their belt knows that all guns are individuals and with any set of components its max loads most likely will be different from other guns even of the same make and model. Not only that but as a pressure trace will reveal that even with loads that will produce equal pressure in different guns the velocity attained is seldom equal, pressure being the indicator of max loading and not velocity.
That being said I stand by my statement that max loads for an individual gun are seldom the most accurate for that particular gun. Too in this game of loading ammo it is foolhardy to say always because some guns will at times and in some conditions deliver top shelf accuracy at pressures that are on the verge of stretching primer pockets which will be well far and beyond any published data for any gun that uses brass for a gas seal. Guns can be fickle like women but guns are certainly more predictable.

For several diffrent Rifles I load for, my accuracy Is half grain up or down of max loads. Ill take accuracy over speed most days. The key Is starting off with the best known components you can get. It doesnt hurt to have as many reloading books as you can find either.

Originally Posted By: Yukon21The February issue of Handloader Magazine has a couple of interesting that may shed some real light on the issue of max accuracy. I would suggest you spend a little money and invest in a couple of truly great articles one about powder and the 2nd which almost coinsides with your statement on max load vs. guns. It was a discussion about the 270 winchester, by 4 great contributing authors, including O'Conner, Walters, Carmichael, and i forget the last one. Worth you time and money.
The magazine is published bi-monthly and i'm sure there are others on this forum who receive it.

What issue number you speaking of?

Originally Posted By: Jay CummingsI almost always have my best accuracy at or near max. Lucky I guess.
Max of what book or gun?

Originally Posted By: bullshop
There seems to be some disagreement as to the meaning of the question. I read the question to mean """ will I get best accuracy at my rifles maximum load"""
Some seem to be reading the question to mean "" will I get best accuracy at published book maximum loads"""
The two concepts are seldom equal. Published data is a guide not a gauge.

EXACTLY.
thumbup1.gif

I'm far from an expert, but I do know that chamber reamers wear over time, and different manufacturers obviously use different reamers. You particular rifle's chamber may be far different from SAAMI specifications. Barrel bores are all different and can also show differing pressures with the same loads. Any load should be started at a safe level and increased slowly until you are either satisfied with the load or you start seeing pressure signs.

I would add that the max published load should be noted and approached with great care until you can verify that it can be loaded or increased safely in your rifle.

There are people on this board who have been reloading for many years. There are also people on here that have been reloading CORRECTLY for many years and know more than most of us. Listen to the guys who know what they are talking about. It's easy to know who they are if you read a bit .......

Originally Posted By: 2muchgunI load almost everything at or near max, and some a bit over "book max". The key is to know which powders perform best at or near max, and choose accordingly.......

Sorry 2much.I rote basically the same thing you did. But i agree.

Think too that max loads are not static. Max loads are relative to the amount of wear to the barrel.
When a max load is developed for a new barrel that load will yield progressively lower pressure/velocity as barrel wear advances. To remain at max load level as barrel wear progresses the load must continually be adjusted.
If two barrels could be made absolutely identical and one was new and one had a 5000 round count the max load for each would be different. With that understanding and having no knowledge what ever of the round count or chamber specifications of the test barrel used to develop published data you can see why published data is nothing more than a guide and not a gauge.
In my nearly 40 years of loading ammo for personal use and as a business I have encountered two rifles that were over max with published data starting loads. If I had started with the max book loads for those two guns I would have gotten in big trouble. For those two rifles max loads were below published book data starting loads.
On the other hand over those many years on average I have settled on max loads for most rifles at something about 2 to 4 gn over max book loads. In developing these loads I do use published data as a guide on where to start then work up cautiously until I feel I have reached max load for that particular rifle. For all these reasons when we talk of max loads we should clarify if we are talking max published data or max individual gun data. These are seldom the same and can lead to confusion when trying to best answer a question as the OP has put fourth.

Last edited:
After I typed the last post I went to load some 25/06 for tomorrows hunt and was thinking how that temperature also can have a profound effect on max loads with some powders.
I Had a 6mm/06 with 1/14" twist barrel that on a warm day would stabilize a 100 gn bullet but on a cold day it would not. I could shoot 100gn bullets in summer for chucks but not in winter for fur.
Work up to a max load in winter and in summer you might get quite a surprise from the same load.
Work up a max load in the summer and when winter comes that dandy coyote load you thought you had might be sub par in the velocity department.
The development of the extreme type powders has alleviated the temp issue but not eliminated it.

Back