Full Moon!

Johnny C

New to hunting at night and I was wondering is it a bad time to be hunting nights on or around a full moon? Taken caller out the last couple of nights here and haven't seen or heard anything. it has been very quiet. Was wondering if it is because it has been so bright the last few nights, or is it for some other reason? Any thoughts on this matter will be greatly appreciated.

The consensus with most of the predator callers I know here in the South West is that coyotes do not respond well to calling at night when the moon is full or close to being full. That's all ways been my experience any ways. There have been a few exceptions over the years but not many. Grizz

In mn we can only use shotguns if we use a light, which blows, so pretty much our only viable night hunting option is under the full moon with some snow and a rifle. It works. Went out tonight and my buddy shot one.

Ok thanks for the input. Might just be bad timing. It's just been very quiet around here the last few days. I haven't been able to call anything up and thought that might be the problem. I just got a new light and I'm really wanting to try it out on something.
thumbup1.gif

Originally Posted By: Johnny COk thanks for the input. Might just be bad timing. It's just been very quiet around here the last few days. I haven't been able to call anything up and thought that might be the problem. I just got a new light and I'm really wanting to try it out on something.
thumbup1.gif

I guess you will figure it out for yourself after a while when you continue to call on full moon nights. Grizz

No that's not bad. Nice coyote congrats. Here in California there are several predator calling clubs and we have many competition hunts July through Feb. We are looking for big kill numbers and in our experience that's not going to happen during the full moon phase. You might get one like above. We are looking to kill as many as possible at night. The clubs out here have been around since the late 1950's and we never schedule a comp hunt during the full moon phase. Maybe it's different back east where the coyote are not subject to constant heavy hunting pressure. But where I do all of my night hunting California and Nevada calling is never good with a lot of moon. Grizz

True but he may as well wait a week either way and give himself an advantage. I'd ask if you there in NY can honestly say you do just as well in regardless of moon phase in but your answer would probably be nonya. Grizz

I shot two coyotes at a bait site on a full moon a couple of years ago, and my trail cameras seem to get good activity during those time too.
I haven't tried calling on a full moon, however, but there is activity during that time from my experience. Calling may present a different problem.
It may be a matter of them being able to see so well during full moon that they become more cautious. Not sure.

Notice the moon in the trail camera photo.

Originally Posted By: GRIZZLYONETrue but he may as well wait a week either way and give himself an advantage. I'd ask if you up there in NY can honestly say you do just as well in any moon phase in but your answer would probably be nonya.
lol.gif
Grizz We are out right now and called on a pair already.

Originally Posted By: ultramagOriginally Posted By: GRIZZLYONETrue but he may as well wait a week either way and give himself an advantage. I'd ask if you up there in NY can honestly say you do just as well in any moon phase in but your answer would probably be nonya.
lol.gif
Grizz We are out right now and called on a pair already.
Good for you... Did you kill em ?

I wish,unfortunately my partner botched it up aswell as the other two we called. So 3 sets called in four,none dead.All on a full moon...awesome.

Nice 6mm! I guess it just depends on alot of things. No I'm not a competition hunter. I'm really just starting out with the night hunting and looking for advice. Thanks!

Originally Posted By: GRIZZLYONEYo! You have a partner?

Yep one with no patience,unable to judge distance at night and loves to shoot at stuff coming in on my side if the set up...we have fun though.

I have one who doesn't know is left from his right. He will study tracks until I say "Their here lets get to hunting." He gets side tracked a lot and fails to realize that everything takes a lot longer then you plan for. I constantly have to keep him focused on the hunt. But that boy will follow a blood trail all night if I let him. Can't tell you how many wounded coyotes he's followed with his rifle and a flashlight to finish off and recover. The best off hand shooter I've ever seen, he's a keeper. But we've been hunting together 28 years and he still does not know how to use a light. But we kill a lot of animals here in California and Nevada. On the 8th I'm heading out for the Jan Club hunt to call the Cal/Nevada border area out toward Las Vegas by my lonesome (Billy can't make it). I Will be trying out my new Coyote Light for the first time. It will be interesting to see how effective the rheostat feature on the Coyote Light is on the light shy Coyotes we have in these parts. I'll post my thoughts on this light when I return. Grizz

Back