17 hornet

Romerton74

So I was in the LGS and stumbled across a savage 17 hornet. I've always wanted one so I decided why not. I want to reload for it and I'm sure it's been asked before and I apologize if it has but I just wanted to know what's worked best for you guys? Thanks

I can't say with any experience but I am going through your same deal right now. I have the .17 hornet and all components and I will be reloading shortly. The factory ammo shoots so well that primarily I am interested in 25 grain'ers. My biggest challenge was finding suitable powders. What I settld on, and what I found, was AA2200. Looks just about perfect for 25 grain pills. I have heard that 1680 is great but it can cause some pressure issues. I also have a pound of 4227 that might work ok. I will let you know what I come out with. I am curious if I willl see the dreaded shift in performace from new brass and fire brass. I've never worked with such a small round before.

I also am on the same playing field with you fellas I got a hornet and am planning to reload I picked up some 25 grain v max to try from what I've been reading seems that lilgun I thought was the powder of choice but i also have some 4227 and 322 thAt I may try but hoping to wait til spring to start working up a load I have 70 fActory loads left in the 20grain so either I kill a pile of stuff or miss a lot ......lol

The only book that has the reloading info right now is the new hornady book but I'm having trouble finding it here at any of the sport stores close may just have to order it and the powder load is kinda tight on the edges meaning that starting load to max load is a matter of a grain of powder so not a lot of play room.
Good luck and hopefully good reloading post some results please if you do get some thing interesting please keep us informed

322 looks decent enough in the 17 HH. I have a ting of 335 that I'm looking to us, just because I have it and can't get 322. It's worth a shot. I've heard too much bad about lil gun and pressure issues.

Hodgdon.com has data for ya on the 17 Hornet. For the 25's, H322 looks to be the schizzle if it'll be accurate on your gun - almost 3300 fps with the lowest pressures of the powders listed.

I have reloaded 20 rounds with Lilgun, but have not had the chance to test them out yet.

I recently found a good article related to reloading of 17 Hornet:

http://www.sportingshootermag.com.au/news/reloading-the-17-hornet

Fairly informative for those of us new enough to the 17 HH. I must say, it was an interesting first 'kick at the cat' with this little cartridge. I found that my powder funnel was WAY too big, so picked up a funnel adapter yesterday.

Now I just need to get out and test my 20 loads to see how they shoot & get some more reloading done...now if only I could find more brass

Hi I been looking to get one. I have a 204 ruger I bought it for fox and cats. I have been using 39 gr bking on coyotes work good. But shot my first cat no so good. I have 500 35 gr HP berger bullets. I loaded up a few last night with H4895 . I am going to see how it groups . Will the 35 gr fix my trouble or do I need a 17 h for gray and red fox and bobcats? Thanks

I would think that 35 grain would come apart like a beauty at the speed of that gun.
But also I shot a red Fox with my 17 h and didn't get the full on shot I wanted and hit a little on the edge of the neck and shoulder made dandy hole I couldn't stitch up that was with 20 grain hoping to slow down a tad with the 25grain and do my part it may have better results but that Fox has been my only test subject so far.Fox and cats are not as thick hides as yotes so a little dynamite goes along way for them. Guess it comes down to are you saving the fur or just enjoying the hunt for the predator.

I guess in my mind i am trying to do both but that don't always work I'd like a nice wall hanger of a Fox and yotes but only time will tell.

I am not pushing at max accuracy is most important to me. I talk to some guys on the 204 ruger forum. And that's the bullet would work like I wanted to just keep it out of the shoulder. What about the 17 rem? I know where I can get a rem 700 bdl my uncle don't hunt anymore.

Originally Posted By: scoremasterI would think that 35 grain would come apart like a beauty at the speed of that gun.

The 35 gr Berger is a very popular bullet in the 204. I have never had one come apart or even heard of one coming apart.

I had a 17 rem years ago before yotes were much of a problem around here and boy that thing was amazing on groundhogs with the 25 grain hp or vmax one tiny entrance hole but never a out and when you picked them up felt like a bread sack full of mud. but then again a whistlepig is a little on the tough side and pretty meaty so it all comes with a grain of salt and also,
I also chase accuracy more so than speed . sometimes they both come together at the high end some times not so much .my 223 I shot bench rest with I pushed to the limits of 28.5 grains of varget behind a 52 grain fb hp that was a Winchester case neck sized only as Remington cases would not hold the powder. vel was right at 3700 1/4 inch groups all day long if I did my part at 100 yrds .
and then on the other end of the spectrum I load my 3006 pump rem pumpgun with 130 speer tnt and 110 vmax with varget for a slower load and am happy with the sub 1 inch group at 100. for a deer rifle .
so it basically comes down to what ever the gun likes or your resources of powder and such to make the whole thing come together . sometimes small things such as a primer change will change a group from 2 inches to .5 inches .
good luck in your hunt for the right load sometimes it can be a bear to deal with .

and just a little advice I learned here which you may not have a problem with as you temps don't swing as they do here if working on a hot load do it in the summer as the pressure will increase with heat .
meaning if you find hot load that accurate in the cool of winter and its on the edge when the summer heat gets here it may be to much pressure resulting from the warmer temps and start some problems.

that's why for my hornet im trying to stick with factory loads till spring summer time gets here then go with loading for my hornet as they don't have much room for error as compard to a larger capacity case.

sorry for the long post just hoping I added some info that will help you,

Scott

On impact they do come apart. That is what makes them very effective for coyotes. Takes out all the organs and very seldom does any external damage.

1680 or Lil' Gun with 20's....Pretty tough to beat the 20gr factory loads in the field from my experience. If going up in weight you will lose roughly 100 FPS per grain of bullet weight. Five grains will likely equal 500fps loss in your gun.....Might as well shoot a 22 Hornet with Lil' Gun and 35's..

If you have trouble finding brass, they can be formed fairly easily from 22 Hornet using Redding FL dies. Trim .22 Hornet to 1.350" then lube with Imperial sizing wax. Run through the seating die with the plug removed and then through the full sizing die. Anneal, then fireform.........

PLOTBOSS

Last edited:
Back