Bought a new AR, now need a scope (Burris XTR II)

ntesta

I bought an AR finally (223 Wylde chambering) to use for varmints mostly. I'm not going to be competing. The shop where I bought it has a consigned Burris XTR II 2-10x42 scope that is NIB. The original owner never mounted it and is looking to sell it to fund a purchase of a upper tier scope. He is asking $600 for it. I have searched online and found the cheapest price for NIB Burris XTR II to be around $800 so I'm thinking of buying it. A couple of questions:

1.) is the 42mm objective lens more than enough? A friend suggested to go with a 50mm objective but that was his personal preference.

2.) anything to be wary of with Burris scopes in general? From the initial searches I have done, it seems Burris is owned by Beretta Holdings, which also owns Steiner. I think my budget would be $900 maximum for a scope so if you have other recommendations, I would be interested to hear (e.g. brand/model, power and objective, etc.).

Thanks.

Two of my ARs wear Burris scopes, albeit much lower end models than the one you are looking at. I have a Mtac 1-4 on my .223 AR and a Fullfield 30 3-9 on my 6.8 AR. I like them both, they are nice and clear, and from my experience, Burris makes a pretty good scope and has good customer service.
Here's my opinion on an AR scope for predator hunting, and this is just personal preference. I would not put a $900 scope on my AR and I prefer a simple duplex like reticle. I'm in the process of replacing my 1-4 power scope with a new Leupold 3-9. A mid price range scope ($300-$600) from a good manufacturer (Burris, Leupold, Vortex,...etc) variable power, like 2-7, 3-9, up to 4-12 is about perfect on a coyote calling rifle. Personally, the scopes with the busy reticles are too much for my old eyes.

Last edited:
For 600, I would grab that yesterday. From everything I can find, there isnt a scope on the market that can touch the XTR II in that price class. Be aware that the XTR II is a 34mm tube scope, so mounts/rings will have to be adjusted for such.

I am pulling the trigger on a 5-25 next week.

I'm considering the xtr II 2-10, but can't find any reviews on it. I ended up going with the PST 2.5-10x32 instead due to the lighter weight. When they put the SCR reticle in the XTR II line I'll probably buy one to try.

Let us know how you like it if you buy one, really interested in some reviews

I bought the XTR II for $600. The guy who was consigning it had bought it at the gunshop and then turned around 2 weeks later and consigned it to buy a higher priced optic. I think for my purposes, this scope will be more scope than what I initially need but for the price, I could not pass it up. I never really used scopes before on rifles (always shot with iron sights) so this is my first scope.

Back