6.5 Grendel Cleaning

Stu Farish

Director / Webmaster
Staff member
Anyone found a source for chamber brushes for these? Alexander Arms sells a kit that includes the chamber brush, but at over $60 it's more than I want to spend just to get a brush.

Brownells has the lug kit. The chamber can be done with a 308 brush. Using Gunslick Foaming Bore Cleaner I don't have much residual in the chamber that a big 45 caliber patch won't take out.

Greg

Yeah; no 6.5`s in my collection, but would think a NEW .243 brush (brass core)would work great.
I`m on that side of the fence that believes cleanliness is next to godliness.
I get into that bolt lug portion of the rifle so frequent that an actual `specific` CHAMBER BRUSH is not needed. Q-Tips, some solvent, and a light source to let me see the nooks and crannies...
not to mention some x2 magnifiers...darn eyesight!

so, do you use the foaming cleaner on just the chamber or the entire bore? Gunslick doesn't recommend using it on gas operated semi's, but it seems a lot of people do use it to clean AR's.

I bought a can & used it on 2 model 700's, a 30-06 & a 22-250. It got a fair bit of crud out, including copper based on the blue patches, but after 2 treatments I continued to get copper using shooters choice. So I soaked both for about 24 hours & got a lot more out, then gave them a 2nd overnight that didn't get much. Shooters choice also didn't get much, so I'm thinking the stuff is an effective but slow cleaner.

Originally Posted By: Stu Farishso, do you use the foaming cleaner on just the chamber or the entire bore? Gunslick doesn't recommend using it on gas operated semi's, but it seems a lot of people do use it to clean AR's.

Stu, use some of the long pipe cleaners on the gas tube/block and you'll be fine with the foam if you want to use it.

Originally Posted By: Stu Farishso, do you use the foaming cleaner on just the chamber or the entire bore? Gunslick doesn't recommend using it on gas operated semi's, but it seems a lot of people do use it to clean AR's.

I bought a can & used it on 2 model 700's, a 30-06 & a 22-250. It got a fair bit of crud out, including copper based on the blue patches, but after 2 treatments I continued to get copper using shooters choice. So I soaked both for about 24 hours & got a lot more out, then gave them a 2nd overnight that didn't get much. Shooters choice also didn't get much, so I'm thinking the stuff is an effective but slow cleaner.

Slather the whole thing. The auto warning doesn't apply to the AR. It's more for the complicated recoil systems.

I usually let it soak about 30 minutes. Never needed more than three treatments. I have run Sweets after it to test the results and found zero copper even after shooting 200 hot 20's

Greg

Back