Spooked coyotes (double)

RockIsland

Kind of a sore subject but tonight just before dark, I called in a double. Newtons Law basically happened and everything went wrong. Fox pro died(batteries) as they were on their way in HOT from about 75 yards. I had no way of keeping their attention focused away from me so as I tried to carefully raise my gun and click off the Saftey they spooked and ran away never offering a shot. My question is ...I plan on returning to the same spot bright and early before light, will the spot be be ruined and did I just educate those coyotes?

I had a similar situation happen two years ago. Had a 22-250 on my lap as well as my shotgun. After 5 minutes of calling I see a coyote screaming in towards the fox pro, it was coming in so fast that I my immediate reaction was to raise up whatever was in my hands, which was unfortunately the rifle and not the shotgun. Right as I got the gun up I noticed the other coyote at 15 yards and running just as fast. Both of the coyotes were running perpendicular to my position and I took a shot at the closer coyote and missed and then another shot at the other coyote as it was leaving and missed. The coyotes split with one heading North and the other Southeast. I went out at first light to the same spot and set up the call so that I'd be able to see the coyote before he got my wind. After about 10 minutes I noticed some deer being spooked out of the woods where one of the coyotes ran off the night before. Having learned from my mistake, the shotgun was in my hands and a coyote that looked just like the male that I had seen the night before came in and gave me a nice 10 yard shot with the Benelli. I can't say for sure if it was the same yote or not, but he looked similar and came in hot again. After seeing the deer spook and knowing the wind direction, he was definitely circling to get my wind. So in short, I had some luck going back to the same spot even after shooting twice, whether it was the same dog or not who knows, it was still luck. I'd say try it again, just make sure your setup is as good as you can make it.

I went out and tried it again the next morning. Had a good cross wind and better view. Neither came in. Pretty disappointed. So I decided to let the spot cool for a week. Hopefully luck will pick up next time. By restrainingmy self from shooting. I really hoped that no damage was done.

Just because nothing responded your second morning, doesn't mean much.
It is quite likely that those coyotes were just in a different part of their territory that morning.

When you do go back, if possible, (if it were me) I would try to set up in a different spot, even if you're only 50 yards or so different.
I also would try a different sound to start with. If the new sound doesn't work, you can always go back to the original sound after a short while on stand.
Just my penny's worth.

I go along with Will's comments above. You could possibly have gone back in there a few hours later and called them in. Many times, it is all about where they are at a particular time. They cover a lot of ground in their territory. It also has a lot to do with what they are feeding on at that time. If there is a dead steer a mile away, odds are they'll take a sure thing first.

Had something similar happen this year except one coyote didn't run off the first go round. I shot at the other coyote twice as he ran away. I let the area cool off for a week. When I went back I set up 200 yards away from where I had originally called the double in a week before. And instead of being a jackrabbit I did my best impression of a cottontail this time. After one series of callin I scanned the area and here he came. He stopped at 120 some yards to look around. I looked at him through the scope.....done deal. I'm guessing you'll call them in again. Its just a matter of being in the right place at the right time.

Back