Cattails triple

Snowshoes

This morning was once again calm and I could see we got another light dusting of snow.
I drive to an area where a long slough always seems to hold a coyote or two and the quarter mile walk in reveals a fair number of coyote tracks. Encouraged by the sign I have high hopes as I set up in front of a dirt pile. Glass the fields and farm yard for a few minutes before picking up a pair of coyotes leaving the farm yard and heading towards the slough I’m set up at. They get to within 300 yards of me and stop, the one lays down after a minute or two and the other sits down.
I give a few low volume distress cries with a closed reed and slowly increase the decibel level until I see I have the coyotes attention. They both stand up and trot towards the cattails, where I lose sight of them. A few seconds later they clear the cattails and are now standing at the edge of the field. Cross hairs on the biggest one and 132 yard shot has coyote number one down. The shot scares the mate back into the cattails along with a third coyote that I hadn’t picked out.

I have a different coyote run out of the cattails on the other side of the slough . I give some yelps with the howler and that stops the coyote, it turns around and starts coming back. I can see its not a nice looking coyote and let it keep on getting closer in hopes of a better coyote may show up. The coyote makes a pile of racket as it runs through the cattails and then into an open spot on the ice. Not seeing anything else, the crosshairs are on the coyotes chest…… 62 yard shot drops it.

The shot sends another coyote that I hadn’t seen through the cattails and into the field on the far side. I bark a couple time but this coyote isn’t stopping, so I estimate the lead required as its on a fast trot , a squeeze of the trigger rolls the coyote. Sometimes I get lucky on running shots….. More often not …but sometimes

Great write up and pictures as always. Just wondering are all your stands this good or do you get a few dud stands before getting into one like this?

thank you lockrotor

Originally Posted By: YotarunnerGreat write up and pictures as always. Just wondering are all your stands this good or do you get a few dud stands before getting into one like this?
I have my share of dud stands too. I did one stand after this one and seen nothing. This afternoon I was back out and did one stand in an area that I have had good success over the years..... nothing to show for my efforts tonight.
I know I spend more time watching/glassing the coyote activity than actually hunting. I would rather get in one good stand than 5 mediocre ones I guess
smile.gif

Thank you Dewey NY and Infidel 762

Originally Posted By: gumboot458 As always, awesome! Still using the 223 ?

Yes it's been the 223 for every coyote shot this season. I did take out the 204 a few days back but nothing came into the calls.

Nice Snowshoes. Did the yote in the second pic have mange or something or just missing some back hair? Love the calling area too, cattails are productive.

Nice going.... I have not been on here enough this season but just need to let you know I love reading your posts.... You are doing awesome again this year...
Happy New Year and all the best in 2015...

Last edited:
Thank you Fratri, all the best in 2015 and good hunting to you!

Silent Hunter said:
Nice Snowshoes. Did the yote in the second pic have mange or something or just missing some back hair? Love the calling area too, cattails are productive. [/quote

That second coyote had mange, the back of its ears were almost void of hair too.

Back