.257 Arnold Magnum

The reason for shooting the 257 Arnold is due to the fact that he has one and wants some good load data for it. The 257 Weatherby is no doubt a fine round. It's kind of like why shoot a 6mm Remington when you can a 243. It's all in what a guy likes, wants or has that makes the difference.

Originally Posted By: ackleymanI am really surprised that those chucks were not blown to pieces!

Believe it or not, they weren't. Some things are just hard to explain.

Originally Posted By: 6mm06
The reason for shooting the 257 Arnold is due to the fact that he has one and wants some good load data for it. The 257 Weatherby is no doubt a fine round. It's kind of like why shoot a 6mm Remington when you can a 243. It's all in what a guy likes, wants or has that makes the difference.

Wasn't trying to be smart. I've used .264 Win in a pinch and resized to .257Wby. Never heard of the .257 Arnold. As uncommon as the .257Wby is, it is much more common than the Arnold. Are there any advantages? The Arnold being a wildcat would be more hassle than a Wby, so I was curious why someone would go that route when something else is more readily available?
Would like more complete load data from the previously mentioned post to compare with .257Wby loads.

Interesting, I'd never heard of this cartridge before in my life. When you think you've heard of everything something new comes along.

Roy, as you know, "talking" via computer doesn't always give a guy's intended thoughts. It's hard to express them sometimes when punching keys. I wasn't sure how to take your question. Now I know. No problem here.

As to the 257 Arnold being any better than the standardized 257 Weatherby, I can't say that it is. I think it's just one more attempt at a wildcat and something different. As you know, there have been many wildcats developed over the years. Some have been good ones while others haven't. I guess one wildcat that has intrigued me is the 7mm STW, based on an 8mm Magnum case. My experience with the STW has been great. But, that's another topic.

The 257 Arnold was short lived, maybe in part due to the demise of the company. Most people have never heard of it. The only reason I did was due to an advertisement in a publication many years ago. I asked for a brochure and they sent me one, which resulted in my buddy having one built and a fine gift to me many years later. My buddy said that no one else he knew would know beans about that caliber, so he wanted me to have it since I did.

As to load data, the ones I posted are pretty much it. I haven't shot the rifle all that much, but I figure the loads I already have will cover most any type of hunting I might want to do with the cartridge. If I were to load a different bullet, it would probably be a Barnes TSX.

Originally Posted By: 6mm06
To my understanding, Arnold Arms got into some problem with securities and exchange, not sure exactly what.

In 1995 a buddy and I were planning an Alaska hunting trip. He was interested in a custom rifle of some sorts and I had a brochure from Arnold Arms Company. We both specifically liked the .257 Arnold Magnum thinking it would make a great antelope cartridge ( and it is), so we thought we would try to meet up with the guys from Arnold Arms since we would be flying into Seattle.

My friend arranged a meeting with the guys from Arnold Arms, to meet us at the Seattle airport on our way back from Alaska. I don't recall if Doug was there or not, but a couple of other guys were. Anyway, they brought two or three sample rifles for my friend to look at, brought them into the airport. Security took us up to their office and allowed us to view the rifles. Imagine that happening today.

Anyway, my buddy put $1200 down on a new rifle and paid the balance when it was finished. It's a nice rifle and very accurate. To my surprise this rifle became a gift to me several years later and I still have it, though don't shoot it much.

USE THIS DATA AT YOUR OWN RISK. MY ADVICE, START LOW AND WORK UP.

Here's some load data my buddy used:
100 gr. Sierra BT #1625
IMR4831, 64.0 grains
CCI 250

Here's my data:
110 gr. Nosler Accubond
IMR 7828, 67.0 gr., average velocity 3464
CCI BR2

85 gr. Nosler Ballistic Tip
Reloader 22, 68.5 gr., average velocity 3611
CCI BR2

75 gr. Hornady HP
IMR 7828, 69.2 gr.
CCI BR2

The only game I have shot with the Arnold is groundhogs, but my buddy dropped numerous antelope
over the years with the 100 gr. Sierra, and my son shot two or three with the same load.

The rifle package as purchased by my buddy consisted of the rifle in a McMillian Fiberguard stock. It looks like wood,
feels like wood but is synthetic. The stock is no longer made. The rifle also came with a Leupold Vari-X 3, 3x10 scope
set in Warne rings. It has a Jewell trigger.

My son and an antelope he dropped with the Arnold.

With an 87 gr slug running at the velocity that cartridge can produce, surprised you have anything but some skin left after hitting that ghog. Don

Originally Posted By: ackleymanI am really surprised that those chucks were not blown to pieces!

Me too. At 127 yds they shouldn't have been recognizable as anything but fur with some guts attached.

I can't say "why." It just happened. One groundhog was shot with the 6mm06 (on the sand bags) and the other one with the Arnold (leaning against the table).

The 6mm06 was shooting a 75 gr. Hornady V-Max at an average of 3621 fps. The Arnold was pushing an 85 gr. Ballistic Tip at close to the same velocity.

A few years ago I videoed ARCOREY on a groundhog hunt and captured a lot of footage of him shooting groundhogs with a .243 and a 70 gr. Nosler Ballistic Tip. Probably 90% of the groundhogs he shot didn't have an exit, and that was at a variety of ranges from up close like 40 yards out to 500. I was amazed and expected some impressive wounds. He was running the loads pretty fast.

Awesome rifle and cool round. The rifle looks like the one on cover of Arnolds book I have. I could not find any load data for the 257 Arnold in the book, he talks alot about his cartidges but never put in any data. With all the other rifle loading data I would thought it would be listed.

I am a real 25 caliber fan and would love to have have that in my collection.

Originally Posted By: YellowhammerRegardless of the caliber, it is a beautiful gun. SS and wood always looks good to me.

It is a beautiful rifle for sure, and shoots as good as it looks.

Apparently this particular rifle was one that Doug liked since he borrowed it back from my buddy one time, to have for a show. My buddy was concerned that it took a little longer than he though to get it back. He got worried for a bit there.

Seems there isn't much loading data available for the Arnold.

The 25 caliber is one of my favorites. My buddy and I both consider it ideal for antelope.

Back