My Dream AR Build

Yote Perisher

Hey fellow yote hunters,

Just wanted to post my first ever custom build that is for me and my needs, my dream AR. What I wanted in my dream rifle was two things: accuracy and lightweight. My current AR-15 weighs in at around 12 lbs, so I wanted to build something much lighter and field-friendly.

Below is the list of parts I have put together. I got all of the upper parts for Christmas and will be putting the upper together this coming weekend. Will be building the lower in the months to come. I've also included the weights of each part as well if anyone is interested. Let me know what you think.

* Krieger 16" barrel, 1:8,Stainless Steel, Fluted,Black Duracoat,1/2X 28 Threaded: 32 oz.

* V7 Complete Melonite BCG: 8.5 oz.

* AP Custom 15" CF HG: 6.2 oz;

* 2A Armament Balios-Lite Upper: 5.85 oz.

* V7 Ti Furion Muzzle Brake: 1.6 oz.

* V7 Black Ti Gas Block: 0.72 oz.

* V7 Black Ti Barrel Nut: 0.78 oz.

* Rainier Arms Raptor Ambi CH: 1.42 oz.

* Aero Precision Ultralite 30mm Scope Mount: 2.98 oz.

* Spikes Tactical Melonite Coated Gas Tube: 0.8 oz.

UPPER TOTAL WEIGHT: 60.85 OZ. = 3.80 LBS

Still debating on which scope to go with. Leaning toward the VX-R 3-9X40 Patrol right now. Any suggestions for 200-250 yard max shots with 16" AR?

Last edited:
That's going to be sweet, looks like you went 1st class all the way
thumbup1.gif

Can't wait to see the photos when she's all put together! The VX-R Patrol is a dang nice scope if you really need the illuminated reticle. Otherwise you might consider a VX-3 3.5-10X40mm. It's almost 3 ounces lighter than the Patrol
thumbup1.gif

I'm building a lightweight AR as well right now, probably a little heavier than yours though.
I'm pretty settled on the vx3 1.5-5, it's under 10 oz.

Didn't realize the aero mount was that light, going to have to look into it now.

I think you nailed it, top notch and lightweight. Someone should market a configuration like this as a hunting rifle.
I didn't know about v7, a few of those parts might be making their way onto my build. Mine is more budget and weight oriented since I really didn't need another rifle.
I'll post up at the weights and parts to see how it compares.
I was reading some threads on lightweight rings on there, thought that the TPS were going to be some if the lightest, only assumed that the mount would be heavier.

I've been waiting on the 12" ap handguards on back order, but I might just go with a longer size as it seems like it isn't much heavier.

Thanks, redleg. I almost went with the 12" handguard as well but decided to go with the 15" because it only adds about 1 oune extra. Plus I really like the look of only the muzzle brake sticking out past the handguard.

Post your parts list too, would like to see what you're going with as well.

Last edited:
Bear with me, doing all of this on the phone lol.

Upper: 3.775 lbs
Anderson sport upper- 7.2 oz
VDI ultra light 16" mid-length barrel- 23.25 oz
VDI low mass BCG- 7.5 oz
Barrel nut- 1.25 oz
Gas tube- .7 oz
V7 charging handle- 1oz (might go with raptor)
12" AP Customs C.F. handguards- 5.4oz  (might go with 15" @ 6.2oz)
BTE micro adjustable gas block- 1.6oz (estimated, I'll have it tomorrow to weigh)
VX3 1.5-5 - 9.3oz
TPS scope rings- 3.2oz (might go with AERO mount @ 3oz)

Lower: 1.96lbs
Anderson stripped lower: 8.7oz (estimated off of other lowers)
SSAE trigger- 2.3oz
BAD selector- .67oz (might change to v7)
MFT minimalist stock- 6oz
Magpul k2 grip- 2.6oz
LPK w/o grip or trigger- 2.58oz
Receiver extension- 3.84oz
Castle nut- .5oz (might go with v7)
End plate- .88oz (might go with v7)
Taccom UL buffer- 1oz
TTI reduced power spring- 2.4oz (taken from standard spring, I can weigh it later)

Total: ~5.74lbs

Not sure if I missed anything, I did it off the top of my head so I'm sure I did. I got the weights from the manufacturer's site, some weren't listed, hopefully it's close to accurate. I wish I knew of v7 before, I would have gone with some it'd their stuff from the get go.

Nice sounding setup Redleg. Would definitely recommend the V7 products. They are top quality. I just discovered the MFT Minimalist stock yesterday. Think I'm going to go with it too. I like the looks of it. If I can help answer any questions about any parts just let me know. Post some pics when you get it finished, I'll do the same.

Last edited:
Can't wait to see the finished product! I was talking with my boss today about doing something similar. Great information!

Ok guys, here's a couple of pics of the new completed upper on my current lower. Starting to work on the new lower now. Will post pics of the complete rifle when finished.

107E52FAF1_zpsuqhbhbbo.jpg.html]
1A31C519-9B44-4D6D-8647-C2107E52FAF1_zpsuqhbhbbo.jpg
[/URL]

Looks good. I ended up going with a bunch of V7 parts and changing my order to the 15" hand guard afterall.

Once the V7 parts come in next week I can put the lower together, and then it's just waiting for the hand guards.

Do you have any pictures of the barrel? Curious to the contour. I saw that Battle Arms Development came out with a lightweight match barrel, probably be the route I go if my barrel doesn't perform.

Thanks redleg. I don't have any pics of the barrel without the handguard on it. I'll take the handguard off tomorrow and post a pic of it. It's a medium contour barrel. It's .920 at the block, then .750 at the gas block, and .740 to the muzzle. I went with a little bit heavier barrel because I knew I was going to put the flutes in it.

Which V7 parts did you decide to go with? You'll absolutely love the V7 parts. Top shelf all the way. Fit and finish are excellent. Same goes for the AP Customs handguard. Definitely get some pics up when you get it put together.

I've got my Aero Precision extended mount ordered and should be here by Monday or Tuesday. Then have to order my scope. Then finish the lower. Then Cerakote. Then last but not least - the suppressor. When I get this rifle totally completed I'm probably gonna give it it's own room in the house.

Back