20" or 24" 204 Ruger?

Varminterror

Looking for info regarding the difference length makes for the 204 Ruger? I'm looking at a 20" and a 24" from WOA, wondering how much is lost in those 4" compared to what is gained. Figuring on a 0-300 (ish) cat and coyote rifle. Longer shots could present themselves, but I have heavier calibers for that kind of work.

I can't remember the actual numbers, but in the Bulberry test you don't lose too much going down to 20 inches. 23 inches is optimum. Every 204 I own is 24 inches because I want all the speed I can get!

I'm on the fence whether I'm worried about maximum speed for this build, or simply want a more fur friendly "short to mid-range" calling rifle that will be a bit nicer to cats. Looks like the Bullberry Test shows only ~75fps difference from 24" down to 20", so maybe I can tolerate that much loss!

Not paper nor any animal will notice that 75fps.....
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: spidermanI would wonder how much your ears will take a beating with the shorter length??? Jim

I'm hoping that the 20" vs. 24" isn't terribly different. I know that the Bullberry tests said that once they got under 16" they were knocking stuff off of their shelves across the shop, but I'm hoping that only 4" doesn't make it unbearable.

I suppose if it's nasty at 20", I'll just thread it and screw on a "fire pig".

Originally Posted By: VarminterrorOriginally Posted By: spidermanI would wonder how much your ears will take a beating with the shorter length??? Jim

I'm hoping that the 20" vs. 24" isn't terribly different. I know that the Bullberry tests said that once they got under 16" they were knocking stuff off of their shelves across the shop, but I'm hoping that only 4" doesn't make it unbearable.

I suppose if it's nasty at 20", I'll just thread it and screw on a "fire pig".

I was wondering that as well. I can't stand being around 16 inch .223's and had pretty much given up on the caliber. One day I bought a 223 with a 26 inch barrel and couldn't beleive how quiet it was. I think any linear comp would work for pushing the blast down range.

Dang it. Now you have me wanting to build a 20 inch 204 as well. BHW says their 3p rifling is faster than other rifling. So that should offset the shorter barrel and they have them in stock ready to ship. Problem is I just sold my 17 fireball and wanted to build a 17-223. Decisions decisions .

Originally Posted By: barkDang it. Now you have me wanting to build a 20 inch 204 as well. BHW says their 3p rifling is faster than other rifling. So that should offset the shorter barrel and they have them in stock ready to ship. Problem is I just sold my 17 fireball and wanted to build a 17-223. Decisions decisions .

That's about the same place I'm at right now. I was between a 204 Ruger and a 17 Rem. Then I kinda decided that I'd rather have a 17-223 than a 17Rem, and that I wanted a 204 Ruger first.

This upper will be paired with a 6.8SPCII upper also (plus other various length AR's in 223rem/5.56), so it'll cover my heavier hitting AND more fur-friendly needs. I suppose by summer time I'll order the 17Rem/17-223 barrel to go with it to swap back and forth. Maybe eventually I'll have independent uppers for it even so I'll have a 204 and a 17-223 at the same time, but for now, the two barrels will have to share a chassis.

I am getting 3700ish out of mine with 35 Berger's and Benchmark and 8208XBR and am still around a 1/2gr below max. I cannot notice any difference in noise but there again I'm half deaf in one ear and wear ProEars all the time. As others stated the shorter lighter barrel is far better in the field an much easier to swing in tight places.

Back