Contact info for nagel .17's

Leadbelly

Anyone know how to contact chan nagel ? Needing me some twenty five grainers
wub.gif

Here's his email address"
cenagel@bonnersferry.net

The last I knew Chan was still on dialup, so sending photos and such takes a loooonnnnnnngggggggggg time to load for him.

Last edited:
K22 is right about Chan's internet, easier just to call him, the man's a wealth of information and gracious to a fault. His number is 208-267-2860.

Here's a coyote I killed yesterday using his new 25 gr. bullets, out of my .17 Mach IV.

20141227_Coyote%20Hunt-2W-2.jpg

- DAA

Thanks ICU. That's one of my favorite rifles. The rifle started as a Rem. Classic I bought new, as a .221 Fireball. Pulled the barrel off without even shooting it and had a Lilja #4 in a 10 twist fit and chambered in .17 Mach IV, crowned at 24", along with having the action fully worked over and coated matte black (I forget which coating now...). Actually can't remember, but think I put a Rifle Basix trigger on it. I pillar bedded the action and floated the barrel in the factory Classic walnut stock. Later I was having some trouble with the extractor and had Greg Tannel turn and bush the firing pin while he was putting a Sako extractor on it.

It's been a very fun rifle, has killed a boat load of varmints! Tons each of p-dogs, 'chucks, jackrabbits and it's fair share of coyote too. Few bobcat as well. Some badgers.

- DAA

DAA, that is a good looking rifle for sure, nice coyote too.

Just curious what velocities you are getting with the .17 Mach IV?

What kind of performance from the new 25 gr. bullets?

You mentioned you have a taken a bobcat or two with the Mach IV. Any thoughts on bullets for that one considering fur-saving?

I am shooting a 17 Remington and keep hoping to find a decent fox load that won't leave gaping holes in them. Maybe it's just wishful thinking. Any thoughts about a bullet for that?

Thanks.

David

David, my long time working load for predators in that rifle has been the "old" Berger 25 Match at ~3900 fps. The load I worked up for the new Nagel 25's is ~3850 fps. These are pretty high velocities for the Mach IV. Sneaking up on .17 Rem. territory.

I haven't killed enough critters with the new Nagel 25's to form an opinion yet. So far, excellent on coyote fur and pops jackrabbits pretty good. But, very small sample at this point, really too early for me to say much of anything.

All the bobcat I've killed with this rifle were using the old Berger Match and never put much of a hole in any of them. That has really been my gold standard for saving fur - the old Berger Match at ~3900 fps in a 10T barrel. Just a consistently excellent fur combo on coyote and bobcat. I'm hoping to equal that with these new Nagel bullets. But only time and experience will tell.

Fox... I never target them, just every once in awhile one surprises me and shows up on a coyote stand. From my very small amount of experience, I would say the above combos probably are not going to be consistently fur friendly on fox. Probably pretty inconsistent, in fact. Great some of the time, much less than great other times.

The guys I know that kill and skin a lot of fox all seem to like the Hornet case. In both .22 and .17 flavors.

- DAA

I miss my little 17 Mach IV. I still have a Rem 700 classic in 221FB that I contemplate making another 17. But I have a 20 VarTarg on another 700 with a Sako extractor now, and it is a hoot.

I ordered a Lija #4 for a Rem 700 donor to make a 17-204. I really do like the larger 17 for coyotes, shooting the 30 gr bullets.

I did pick up a NIB CZ527 in 17 Rem, been real tempted to shoot it.

Originally Posted By: CoyotejunkiI really do like the larger 17 for coyotes, shooting the 30 gr bullets.

Me too. Not as good on fur as the 25's @ ~4K, but also a lot more forgiving of shot placement and angles, not to mention carrying a lot more energy further downrange.

- DAA

Back