btip velocity issues

reaper4

So i did some trading on here and got a hold of some 50gr balistic tips and was very excited to load some up and see what i could come up with. Two of the loads i shot showed some good potential and so i decided just for the heck of it to chrono them to see what kinda velocity they were pushing out of my 1/8 20'' rra to help me decide. one group was shot with 24.5 grains of benchmark and was measured at .467/.483 the other was with 25.5 gr. and it measured right at .592/.630 both i consider good accuracy for hunting loads. now im sitting here wondering if the 24.5 grain bullet running roughly 2980 is going to perform as well as the 25.5 grain bullet running 3150. on coyote sized game. im thinking i might try that lighter load on fox and see what they do. think that slower load with these light bullets might be too light for coyotes?

2980 too slow? NOPE.

I can't attest to the effectiveness of the BTips that you are using, but the velocity is plenty for most .22 caliber bullets on coyote sized animals. We've dropped them dead with 60 VMaxs running well under those speeds (2800-ish).

Just remember that coyotes ain't hard to kill.

Thanks hidallgo. I really liked the faster load as it was dead on at 100 and dead nuts holding over exactly one mil at 300. But I will say even the load just under 3000 I only had to hold over a smudge over one mil

BT's expand over a fairly wide velocity range, I don't see you having a problem, at least at any reasonable distances.

that is about the same as the black box american eagle 50 grain tipped varmint loads. they were on sale for less than 7 bucks a box at grafs a while back. for that price and if I wanted to shoot the 50 grain btip I would just buy them loaded that way. They run 3108fps out of my 20" CBI barrel. I have shot a coyote as far as 325 yards out with them. I can tell you in the limited number of dogs I have shot I certainly think the 50 grain btip is better than a vmax of similar weight. I did have a big hole on a gut shot coyote with them but thats probably to be expected.

Well I have the bullets and components and that group shoots under a half inch in my gun I figure ill load it up and use it

Originally Posted By: steve garrettthat is about the same as the black box american eagle 50 grain tipped varmint loads. they were on sale for less than 7 bucks a box at grafs a while back. for that price and if I wanted to shoot the 50 grain btip I would just buy them loaded that way. They run 3108fps out of my 20" CBI barrel. I have shot a coyote as far as 325 yards out with them. I can tell you in the limited number of dogs I have shot I certainly think the 50 grain btip is better than a vmax of similar weight. I did have a big hole on a gut shot coyote with them but thats probably to be expected.

I guess I thought the American eagle 50gr tipped were a 50gr vmax with a grey tip. Grind one down and we will find out in a quick hurry!!
thumbup.gif

I use 55 and 60gr ballistic tips in my 11.5" AR without issues on coyotes. You might get a little more fragmentation than I do with the higher velocities but they still drop them.

I do get a lot of exits that is probably due to the low velocity

Originally Posted By: midwestpredatorOriginally Posted By: steve garrettthat is about the same as the black box american eagle 50 grain tipped varmint loads. they were on sale for less than 7 bucks a box at grafs a while back. for that price and if I wanted to shoot the 50 grain btip I would just buy them loaded that way. They run 3108fps out of my 20" CBI barrel. I have shot a coyote as far as 325 yards out with them. I can tell you in the limited number of dogs I have shot I certainly think the 50 grain btip is better than a vmax of similar weight. I did have a big hole on a gut shot coyote with them but thats probably to be expected.

I guess I thought the American eagle 50gr tipped were a 50gr vmax with a grey tip. Grind one down and we will find out in a quick hurry!!
thumbup.gif

I thought they were noslers but you know what I could be wrong. hornady is more of a competitor to federal ammo where as nosler isn't, that was my thinking, I may have read it somewhere else.

any distance for which the velocity > 1600 FPS for the 50gr .224 BT. Which is going to be quite a ways out there.

Back