New Savage 6mm/300WSM Finished (Update)

Try h4350, my buddy has a Ruger with a 28" Shilen and with the slower powder he gets 4000 with 65 vmax under a max load to boot. Problem is, that's peak, you should have the advantage with the heavier bullets where he is limited with the slower twist he is using.

I ran another test with IMR7828 and shot for groups as well. This one is a winner. Might torch barrels, but I might be surprised too. I'm keeping a round count to monitor changes. Above all, this is going to be fun and it puts a smile on my face with each round. Can't wait to get on some varmints and predators and see how she does. Here's what I shot today. Zero wind and 26 degrees.
65 Grain vmax, IMR7828
70.5 grains = didn't chrono this one this time, but last time it ran 4201 fps. This shot a 2" horizontal string that I didn't take a pic of. Poor group.
70.8 grains = 4245 fps Here's the group:
2i7lpbr.jpg

71 grains = 4344 fps last time, 4302 fps this time (colder this time too). Mild primer flattening and no sign of cratering this time. Probably won't work as a warm weather load. Here's the group:
fe01fa.jpg

87 Grain Vmax, IMR7828
I think the sweet spot is going to be 66.2 or 66.3 grains with a clean 3900 fps. I'll try those next.
66 grains = 3863fps last time, didn't chrono this time. Here's the group:
v3dq2c.jpg

66.5 grains = 4019 fps. I hit 4K! Primers showed light flattening, but not to the edge. Here's the group:
ddiyv8.jpg

66.8 grains = 4042 fps. Slightly more flattening, cratering just barely starting to show. I stopped here. Only had 3 pieces of brass left, so here's a 3 shot group on this one:
2lcrxp4.jpg

I don't know what you have against Mr. Lincoln but I am glad you keep missing!

Good shooting with all those near misses however!!

I am testing a .257 STW on a Savage ........ just found a bunch of Retumbo powder and Federal 215 primers so I am about ready to get back at it!

Best regards

Three 44s

Originally Posted By: Three 44sI don't know what you have against Mr. Lincoln but I am glad you keep missing!

Good shooting with all those near misses however!!

I am testing a .257 STW on a Savage ........ just found a bunch of Retumbo powder and Federal 215 primers so I am about ready to get back at it!

Best regards

Three 44s

Sounds like a neat project. I hope you get a chance to post it all up once you get it figured out.
I settled on the 66.0 grain load with 87 vmax. It proved to be the most accurate and mild enough it should last a bit. I have more brass coming, but have had to reuse the little I have quite a bit in testing. I now have 101 rounds on the rifle. Remington brass in this is terrible. It's harder to form and the primer pockets are toast after 4 loadings. The Winchester seems to be much better. Despite a few factory wrinkles in the shoulder from the original forming, it works well. I've got 5 loadings on some. Primer pockets are not like new, but I would guess they will hold for 2-3 more firings. Not bad; more than I get from a mild load out of my Winchester .204 brass. For forming, I used a .300WSM neck die with bushing. One pass with .270WSM brass with one step smaller neck bushing, then use the custom resizing die. The resizing die is a Redding I got from Graf's for this round. They had 5 sets in stock oddly enough. By putting .270WSM straight into the sizing die, you crush shoulders in about half of them. Not good as spendy as this stuff is, so a step down with a bushing is almost a must.
I got on a coyote after work today, but unfortunately missed. 230-250 yards out and I shot over him. Hopefully soon I can get out calling to find out how the 87's perform in the field.

I have a feeling that I already know how a 87 gr Vmax plodding along at 4k is going to perform in the field........

Last edited:
I finally went out and got a coyote. I got her at 250-260 yards with the 87gr Vmax load at just under 3900 fps. Surprisingly little damage. The picture below is of the exit. The fur buyer was happy. One shot and she didn't twitch. Very humane and I didn't have to guess any on the drop. One coyote is by no means a sample, but still something to build off. I'm up to 118 rounds so far and absolutely love this cartridge. I think I'll try loading some of the 65gr vmax at light speed and see how they perform as well.
66xc1e.jpg

Back