Ever have a decoy dog run off?

Widow maker 223

Iv been working with my yr old irish setter mix. He is full of energy and really territorial of our yard and 8acres. I have him trained to come when i lip squeek or hit the tone on the collar. When out walking he stays close by occasionally keeping a eye on me. I plan to do a few mock stands behind the house to see how he does out calling for 1/2hr plus. Im just afraid he will run off after a yote and get his [beeep] tore up. I can see him not paying attention to the tone during his first encounter. Anyone have problems with young dogs?

Has the collar got a shock feature? Have you used it?

When you were training with the tone, what happened when he ignored it?

Later on in the early spring the chances of having a wreck like you are visualizing is much more likely. Unless of course you run into an "Alpha Alligator" type. As far as him ignoring the tone, a little additional stimulation may solve that problem. But that should be established during training as you don't want to shock him in the presence of the intended game if possible.

I believe decoy dogs are taught more by coyotes than by coyote hunters. It is important to establish that bond with him. But if having him mix it up with a coyote is unthinkable to you, it may be best to keep him hunting the birds.

Take this for what it's worth. It's probably only worth the price you paid. LOL

Merry Christmas to all!

The shock isnt that strong and yes iv used it. He caught on really fast to the tone, he ignored it a time or two. Hes really smart and learns fast but his energy level is crazy. His nose never stops working when we are out walking.

Originally Posted By: DoubleCKLater on in the early spring the chances of having a wreck like you are visualizing is much more likely. Unless of course you run into an "Alpha Alligator" type. As far as him ignoring the tone, a little additional stimulation may solve that problem. But that should be established during training as you don't want to shock him in the presence of the intended game if possible.

I believe decoy dogs are taught more by coyotes than by coyote hunters. It is important to establish that bond with him. But if having him mix it up with a coyote is unthinkable to you, it may be best to keep him hunting the birds.

Take this for what it's worth. It's probably only worth the price you paid. LOL

Merry Christmas to all!

He never leaves my side no matter what im doing. He has encountered some other dogs and definetly has some grit. I think with his demeanor he will catch on quickly.

Originally Posted By: Widow maker 223but his energy level is crazy. His nose never stops working when we are out walking.

That's exactly what he is bred to be. Takes a lot of time, patience and commitment to keep a high powered dog. But the rewards can be both terrific and long term.

Enjoy!

Originally Posted By: Widow maker 223He has encountered some other dogs and definetly has some grit. I think with his demeanor he will catch on quickly.

If by this you mean he is showing some dog on dog aggression, it might be good to get on top of that right away. There is a lot of info in posts here on how to deal with that. I believe that you have to establish you Alpha position firmly via hands on communication. With most dogs that age or younger, you don't have to be cruel, but you do have to take to a level that works.

I agree with Craig, the Spring time coyote pairs are way more aggressive. Right now they are trying to pair up....

You need to take him out of his comfort zone. If you're in your yard he is the alpha male and he knows it.....you need to eliminate that confidence factor to where he is more dependant upon you, so that you become a team.....He will be more apt to check in on you. I started by doing dry stands, places I knew wouldn't hold coyotes. Just to see his reaction to commands given out in the field. Dry stands is where I introduced my dog to the ecaller. I prefer a collar with a tone command.

I plan to take him on as many stands as i can here starting this weekend. He will be on plenty of dry ones too!! Im hoping he will up my odds in the long run.

Good plan. Have fun with him.

I will say that when I put a Garmin on Tucker as a pup it helped me to relax and let her hunt.

Made 5 stands today no takers. Red did really good. The farthest he went was 40yds sniffin around. A few times he was behind me of off to the side I would lil squeek and he would come. over all he did better than I was expecting. He knew to not go far from me.

Originally Posted By: Widow maker 223I plan to take him on as many stands as i can here starting this weekend. He will be on plenty of dry ones too!! Im hoping he will up my odds in the long run.

I have not found that it has upped the number of coyotes I call in.

Originally Posted By: SHamptonOriginally Posted By: Widow maker 223I plan to take him on as many stands as i can here starting this weekend. He will be on plenty of dry ones too!! Im hoping he will up my odds in the long run.

I have not found that it has upped the number of coyotes I call in.

Hate to do it again but, "Agreed." But it sure makes it more fun.

There's no doubt that it definitely makes it more fun. I just think there are a lot of misconceptions about what the dogs actually do bring to the table.

Originally Posted By: SHamptonThere's no doubt that it definitely makes it more fun. I just think there are a lot of misconceptions about what the dogs actually do bring to the table.

Just about can't stand it but, "I believe that to be true."

Over the last couple years I have hunted more mountainous and treed terrain, making it easier to lose track of the dog. I like mine to range some, so I never tried to keep him close. Anymore I don't even run the collar on him much, as he knows the drill and doesn't need me messing him up. A couple times he got too far away when it was time to go. I hiked back out to the truck, drove out to the main road, parked and ate a sandwich. A while later he comes trailing up the road, following the scent. Bawled at me for a good bit when he finally got to the truck, but doesn't disappear for too long anymore. Sometimes you just have to let a dog work things out themselves.

Back