204 Ruger vs 17 hornet for predators?

jjaimes93

Hey guys I'm looking for a new predator gun chambered in 17 Hornet or 204 Ruger but cant decide. My shots would be at most 200 yards and I'm trying to save pelts especially on foxes and bobcats. My 223's do the job good but are a little destructive which caliber would you guys recommend to me best?

I've never shot a 17 but I have taken a lot of critters with my 204. Mostly coyotes but I have taken 3 Bobcats with my 204 and 35gr bergers and there was no damage at all but they were flat broadside and one head on and all were shot perfectly. So I'm not sure what would have happened if it were a gut shot or something like that. If you aren't going to shoot any hogs I would try the 17 for fox and Bobcats. If I was to have a critter specific rifle for cats and fox it would be a 17 of some sort.

Well i bought both this year so I'm still in the testing stage but this is what i do know.

17 Hornet 20gr. V-max - 5 fox - 4 of the 5 need sewn from large exit holes
1 coyote chest shot at 100 yards spun & run no recovery

204 Ruger 40 gr. v -max 4 coyote DRT ( dead right there ) no pass thru
1 fox couple exit holes need sewn / not as bad as 17 holes

You hit bone get out the needle. DRT your taking something home. Spending time calling, looking and no recovery sux.
The 204 is my choice the 17 stays at home !

Merry Christmas

It's probably hard to throw fox in the mix with a fur load and have it do it all. My son ran a .17 Fireball with 25 gr Hornady hp's for a while on coyotes. I think the FB has more soup than the Hornet and he decided after losing some coyotes that he shouldn't have lost to go back to a heavier cartridge. If you were very careful with shot placement, the little Hornet would probably work on coyotes but you will no doubt have to give up some opportunities that a .204 would allow you take. Both cartridges will work best with the heavier constructed bullets. The 35 grain Berger being the best choice in the .204. Good luck!

Thanks for.all.ypur input guys. Based on what im hearing im leaning more towards a 204 as a pelt saver. You just never know when a coyote might appear so might as well be prepared..!

I have been keeping my ar 223 in the tall bipod in front of me and a 22 wmr on my lap for the fox. its a little awkward at first but it hasn't messed up a stand for me yet and the wmr does a great job on the reds. cant find the entrance and never an exit with 30 gr vmax.

I went through this last year trying to decide on 204 or 17 hornet..Strictly a bobcat gun though..

Three shots,three cats and no damage at all..I like my 17 and I think I made the correct choice for me....

Should I go to the east side and target coyotes, I have a 6mm for that..

I'm also on board with the 204. My dad had one in a CZ rifle and man, that thing would shoot. Had it topped with a Nikon Buckmaster 4x12 and it made a really nice rig. He ended up selling it while I was off to college but that has been my favorite shooting gun hands down. As stated above, I think you will bring home more fur with the 204 and heavier bullets. Good luck and Merry Christmas!

Back