Sunday morning double-3 Monday

Snowshoes

A quick check of my weather station this morning indicated the wind direction was not the same as weatherman predicted last night. Now a change of plans of where to go was in order. I haven't been down to a nearby hog farm yet this year and the wind was good for there.
Cloudy skies threatening to snow made for a dreary looking morning as I pulled into the yard site. Park the truck and walk to the furthest lagoon where I set up. After 10 minutes of glassing I see a coyote leave the cover of a treed fence line to the northeast and into the field. The coyote is mostly hidden as it follows a draw that runs across the field towards the creek banks. I need to see more than just glimpses of this coyote so I give a few yelps with the howler. A half minute passes before seeing the coyote coming from the east and heading my way. When its in full view, I bark for it to stop. The coyote stops on cue and a 119 yard shot drops it.

The coyote no more than hits the ground when I catch movement to my right, it's another coyote but it's making tracks back to the creek valley. It's straight south of me and running directly away, I swing the crosshairs onto it and roll this coyote which was later ranged at 156 yards. A follow up shot was required to finish it off.
The field to the south was void of coyotes when I did the yelps, it must of come from the creek valley to investigate. The saying, "you are what you eat" suited this coyote as it was a hog....

Last edited:
Thank you guys for taking the time to post a comment, I guess that's why I keep posting
thumbup1.gif

Originally Posted By: Kollincoyote
How many are you up to so far this year??
With the one I shot this morning, it would be 37.

Having still a few days of holidays to use up, I booked a few more off.
This morning I drive down to the creek valley and the plan is to set up west of a nearby feedlot. I leave the truck and start to walk across the creek flats just as it's starting to get light. I should have been here 15- 20 minutes sooner as I'm feeling a tad exposed getting to where I want to set up. After getting to my destination, I glass the hills in hopes of catching a coyote leaving from where I came across the the dead cow a few days back.
Time ticked by and I have no idea if there is any coyotes on the cow carcass, I wish I knew if there was anything left of the cow but numerous magpies, a couple ravens and one golden eagle sitting in nearby trees made me think there probably was.
A check of the watch shows I had been sitting for 55 minutes and I decide I'll give it 5 more minutes before calling it quits. Three minutes pass and here comes a coyote following a cow trail. Not a good looking coyote but he's going down!
136 yard shot does just that.
A view from where I sat. I do have a willow bush at my back.

And here's the only coyote I seen this morning.

This afternoon I drive east of home 2 miles to the River valley.Pull into a field and park the truck in a draw. Walk east a quarter mile to a spot that has a strip of pastureland to the north and a field to the south. Set up with a fencepost at my back and tall grass to conceal myself. I pull out the call and let fly for a half minute. Tuck the call back in my jacket and much to my surprise there is a coyote coming in already. Its in the stubble field and coming from the east. I shoot this one at 110 yards, then see movement in the pastureland just north of the downed coyote. I swing the gun over ..... hmmmm the coyotes not there.... then I see it running out to the downed coyote. I drop this second coyote 5 feet from the first. Seen two other coyotes but only got a running shot at the one..... Its too much area to watch for one person... I won't hit this area again for some time but when I do, I'll make sure my son is with.

Last edited:
Back