E- Caller Opinions

jwes

Hey im just getting started in predator hunting and I am looking for opinions between 2 electronic callers. Im looking at getting the foxpro wildfire 2 or the primos alpha dogg. the foxpro does not seem to be as loud as the alpha dogg but it does have better reviews. If any of you could give me the low down on either of these calls, which one youd pick, and what would make one better than the other.
Thanks,

Foxpro, it's plenty loud.
1. It's the best in the industry.
2. Excellent customer service.
3. Great sound library.
4. Accessories & decoys.
5. Mike Dillon is cool.
I'm sure the alpha dog is good, and Primos is a good company, but if you want the best get the Foxpro.

Hello sir I own the spitfire and have for about 5 or 6 years. The spitfire is a great call very clear sounds, but the remote is sketchy sometimes. The volume is also not very loud but have called coyotes from 3/4 of a mile away on very calm days. All that being said I just purchased the primos alpha dogg from midway. The distress sounds are not quite as clear but the coyote vocals are really good. The volume is very loud but it does break up some at the higher volumes but I really like it. The expert hunts are really good and the ability to program your own hunts is very nice addition. Primos has a 50 mail in rebate on the alpha dogg right now as well. I live in very wide open country with lots of wind so volume is a very big thing to me. I would go with the alpha dogg. This is my opinion but I am sure there are people with a lot more experience than me. Thank you and good callin'.

I will start by saying that I want to purchase a FoxPro shockwave and have hunted over quite a few foxpros and have never really had a complaint. I now own a primos alpha dogg and it has been a great call. the only issue I have ever had is when the barrery life in the call gets low the sounds will start to get crackly. but the battery life is better than the fox pros I have used and remote is really a nice little set up. tons of volume and on a windy day that Does matter. I am really a huge FoxPro fan and if you can afford it buy a good one now. but if your going to spend 200 on a FoxPro, I personally would buy the alpha dogg for around that and go kill critters
just my opinion

No experience with the Alpha Dogg, Primos makes good hand calls, but you cannot go wrong with a Foxpro. They flat call critters.

You can buy one of the entry level FoxPro ecallers, use it for a while, and sell it for a good percentage of your cost. That is important when you decide to move up. Customer service is beyond compare.

Originally Posted By: H82MissFoxpro, it's plenty loud.
1. It's the best in the industry.
2. Excellent customer service.
3. Great sound library.
4. Accessories & decoys.
5. Mike Dillon is cool.
I'm sure the alpha dog is good, and Primos is a good company, but if you want the best get the Foxpro.

X2 on all the above Foxpro made my decisions real easy-------Service................Quality............And Mike Dillon is cool lol

I agree completely every one of those points are true. I would never argue that the primos is a ''better'' call. just that it has no problem killing.

FoxPro has the following it does for a reason! the sound library IS far beter and the sounds sounds better to me. but the fox around here and the coyotes in new York and texas haven't been able to tell the difference
thumbup.gif
if you can make it happen, just get a fox pro for peace of mind. if not, you can still be successful while you save up for a foxpro

Originally Posted By: possumalYou can buy one of the entry level FoxPro ecallers, use it for a while, and sell it for a good percentage of your cost. That is important when you decide to move up. Customer service is beyond compare.

I have a less than two year old spitfire and wildfire I'd like to unload for an upgrade. Silly me, I never even considered the possibility of selling them. Is there a forum here for that type of transaction or one you'd recommend other than the usual suspects (ebay, craigslist, etc...)

I have a Wildlife Technologies Mighty Atom. I have killed many animals with it. The sound quality is second to none. Sound quality is what brings in the predators. Scratchy, tinny speakers wont do. I wish they had a backlit remote because I do most of my hunting at night, but a Photon Micro light solved that easy enough. It always gets a response from some predator. Sometimes not the one I am after, but even in areas where the predators are thin I can always get a response...might be a hawk, might be an owl, but I will always get something to come to me. Go to their website and check out how they do the recording of the sounds, no one else does it this way. They are all live animal recordings.
Primos is junk, do yourself a favor and scratch them off your list...you would be better off with a few mouth calls while getting the money together for someone else's brand e-caller. At least the mouth calls will always work when you go hunting. Their customer service is garbage...I had a Primos trail camera with a well known documented factory problem and was told that the best they would do is SELL me another one...junk products, junk company.

For Myself, I buy FoxPro. I am on my 3rd one now, and sold the other 2 here as I upgraded. Some folks like Wildlife Tech, some like Primos, some like Minaska, etc. But for ease of repair, sound selection, and Customer Service, FoxPro is tougher than a $2 steak to try and beat. I would not hesitate in buying a used one as a first caller. Do your homework on each model and make sure that you are getting a good deal. JMO and Good luck.

Most callers have enough sound and clarity of sound. The biggest thing I look at is the remote. If the remote is hard to use, your going to be moving and fidgeting trying to figure out the remote and you will get busted. The entry level calls all have problem remotes as far as I'm concerned. I own several callers and in my experience the Primos alpha Dogg has the best remote in that price range. However, this remote will sometimes still give me problems and not communicate with the reciever immediately. In the foxpro line up, I would not get one that at least does not have the tx505 remote. The tx 1000 would be preferable in my opinion. I wish foxpro would sell the hellfire with the tx 505. That would make a good entry level call.

I cant say enough good things about Foxpro...Their customer service is propbably the best I have ever dealt with and their product is the best. So yeah...just buy a Foxpro and dont look back.

Cheers!!

I cant say anything bad or good about the Primos calls because I have never had one. But for the FoxPro.....quality calls, large sound library and customer service that is second to none are what keeps me as one of their customers. Happy hunting...

Originally Posted By: jwesHey im just getting started in predator hunting and I am looking for opinions between 2 electronic callers. Im looking at getting the foxpro wildfire 2 or the primos alpha dogg. the foxpro does not seem to be as loud as the alpha dogg but it does have better reviews. If any of you could give me the low down on either of these calls, which one youd pick, and what would make one better than the other.
Thanks,

I owned a Wildfire 2, and it's a good call, and called a few critters in the few months I owned it. But it wasn't as loud as I liked and attempts at adding a speaker didn't result in the quality of sound I wanted.

My recommendation is to add another $100 to what you'd spend on the wildfire and wait for a Fury to pop up in the classifieds. A Fury 2 just sold for $325, and it's Waaay more call. I bought an older Fury to replace the Wildfire and am much happier. Much crisper sounds, louder when needed and supports another speaker and sounds good. It isn't much heavier or bigger to carry. Don't be afraid of a used FoxPro; they have great CS and I've used it to upgrade my remote buttons and get a new battery door.
JMO

The people have spoken lol get yourself a foxpro. But I will say that my alpha dogg has called in somewhere around 80 reds a few Gray's and a few coyotes in the three years I have had it. Cant be that bad

I've had a number of calls over the years and I have to say my favorite is Minaska, I have three, two M-1 Bandits and a Big Country. The Bandits are set up differently with one having mainly cat sound on it, Rainshadow and others, the other set up for mainly coyote and fox. I could just swap sound cards as the callers don't need to be sync'd to the remote but it was easier to just pick up another especially after all the Minaska bashing. . The Big Country is for it's namesake. I've never had a problem with service from Minaska, they've done custom programing for me, replaced parts I've lost and have been very helpful.

I've tried four different Foxpros and sold or given them away as I hated scrolling through a list of sounds instead of just punching in a sound and getting going.

I did get a pretty good deal on a CS-24 and think I've finally found a FoxPro that might work for me. I like the big numbers and the fact that it has 10 presets and the ability to just punch in any sound I want without having to scroll.

I'v never owned a caller from the first phonograph caller to JS and homemade tape callers to Preymasters and WesternRives that didn't call in predators, ease of operation and reliabillity are most important, last I heard my old Preymaster is still calling coyotes in UT and My BinLs old Western Rivers set up with an Azden remote is still calling coyotes in Northern WI. He's using a Spitefire now.

Back