9mm, the best coon gun?

Travis224

We have called coons for numerous years and use 22 mag Magnum Research rifles. We always have a few escape with seemingly mortal wounds, sometimes soaking up 2-4 rounds in vital areas. Seems like calling brings in the bigger size coons looking to fight and because of this, we are looking into 9mm carbines hoping that a copper coated lead bullet at the right velocity would penetrate and put down the biggest coons without destroying the smaller ones. I load on a Dillon 650 so I'm capable of reloading a lot once we get a load we like. Keep in mind this is night calling and we almost never take a shot past 75yds and realize the 9mm might be at its max range by then and can accept that. Anyone think this or try it?

9mm seems like would be worth a try..you would think it thump them w/authority.
Some of them bigger coons are quite resiliant; had a run in once when one became tangled up with a friends dog...next to a creek, and me with a big stick..
That thing was like `Aquacoon`...lol

I use a hipoint 9 mm carbine loaded with lead 124gr. trunicated cone bullets. I puts them down much harder than 22 mag. the hi point 45 would be a good choice too. cheap guns but are plenty accurate enough for coons to 100yd. with 4x32 weaver.

I've taken coon, deer, squirrel, and coyotes with a 9mm Carbine in the past. Expanders on small coons is going to be messy. A 'tougher built' bullet that doesn't expand should treat you well, but will obviously have an exit wound.

Not only that, you're talking pretty pathetic trajectory out of the 9mm Carbines. They don't really gain that much in a long barrel since they just don't have the case capacity to capitalize on extra burn time. Poor ballistic coefficient and ~1300-1500fps just isn't real handy, nor real powerful, when considering 100-150yrd shooting.

17 or .22 Hornet is a better option for you, or a lightly loaded 223rem in an AR is fine for a coon gun. 17WSM might be another option, but the only semiauto available is a Franklin and she sure aint cheap! 17Rem in an AR as well.

I've had a few of the Kel-tecs and 2 High Points, as well as briefly a Beretta. Accuracy isn't great, but if you're supported, hitting "minute of coon" at 100yrds is possible. I wouldn't say that, in my experience, the 9mm carbines are "minute of vitals" accurate at 100yrds though. Mounting optics on them is hit and miss. They're better now than they used to be, but expect to need to cobble together either super high rings or riser bases, etc. The factory "battle sights" that most of these have leave a lot to be desired. Serviceable accuracy, but not precision.

Personally, I'd be looking at different bullets in your 22WMR. I've called and ran hounds after coons for about 20yrs, thousands of masked bandits to my credit, and unless you're flinging bullets a lot farther than you should, the 22WMR shouldn't be "failing" on you very often, no moreso than I'd expect a 9mm to fail at least. If you ARE flinging bullets too far, somewhere in the 150-200+ yrd ballpark, then grab up a 223rem AR and knock yourself out. It sounds like you have a calling partner at least some of the time, so you might consider having them haul the 22WMR and you carry a 223.

Find some of the black box Winchester supreme for the 22 mag. I've shot coons with a 22 Hornet. It is pretty messy. I suppose it could be loaded down to make it better.

I've shot tons of called coon with the black box Winchester supreme and they work great.

I've had mixed results with the mighty HMR and coon.

I would like to know how the 9 mm works if you do go that route.

I'm his hunting partner so I'll chime in with my input. I've run an AR before for coons and it kills like crazy but on a broadside shot it can end up a mess.

When we're calling you get a lot of hard chargers and coons on the ground running. When we get a head shot the 22 mag is perfect. If they're in a tree the 22 mag is great for pounding the shoulder. However when they are on the ground you may only get the opportunity for one bullet before they get in the brush. We've had mixed success with the 22 mags. If you get lucky you can roll them. If they are running away or you just get broadside, those little devils can soak up some lead.

We're hoping the 9mm will roll them up when they are on the ground running. Semi auto is a must as they are rarely alone when you are calling them in. If you get a response it is usually 2-10 coons all at one time.

Travis,

It's funny you ask this question because I've thought about trying a 9mm for calling coon as well. Unfortunately, thinking about it is as far as I got
smile.gif
Let us know if you give the 9mm a try and how it performs.

What about a heavy blackout bullet? Just throwing that out there. I know the 300 blackout is usually hated or loved by some. Maybe that could be an option, I dunno. I've never coon hunted and don't know anything about it.

Last edited:
I've downed a few with a 16" barreled 357 mag also shot 38 specials through the same gun 158 grain swc I'm no coon hunter but they gone

30 carbine? I Built a 9mm ar and it is an awesome gun. So I'm watching this thread. Mine has a 7.5" barrel and the evo 9 should be free in another 2-3 months. Then it will be really fun.

A Marlin 32H&R levergun, or if someone finally chambers a levergun (or any rifle for that matter) in .327Fed mag - that might be the ideal coon calling rifle.

I've called and treed plenty of coon to know the score on how they come and how different rounds kill, and I did enough small game hunting with a 9mm carbine that I knew enough to give up on it. It works, but there are a lot better options out there - the 22WMR being one of them.

Back