Double drop!

Yellowhammer

Staff member
I love the 25-06. I took my son hunting this morning hoping we could maybe see a shooter buck or a hog.

Before daylight we could hear hogs squealing and cutting up down in the bottom, but by 8am we had seen nothing.

Just a few minutes after 8 I heard a doe blow somewhere not to far off and I glanced out the back window and saw some hogs in the lane about 150 yards off. I nudged Hunter who had dozed off and he grabbed my 25-06 and dropped one. One dummy stood around looking and he dropped him too. That is when I realized I only had 2 shells in my rifles, so we were empty. So we gathered up or gear and I went for the truck.

Two nice eating size sows. The first one shot right behind the shoulder, the second right in the side of the head. I was impressed with the second shot, because he didn't have much time. I am surprised he stood around long enough to get shot.

I showed him how to skin and quarter the first one, and he did the second one.

0044F04C-9C9D-469F-BE74-5E2DF879A6DC_zpsijg6mixd.jpg

Hunterhogs12-22-142_zps101a6993.jpg

My daughter shot her first hog day before yesterday. I don't her to shot it behind the ear. It was about 140 yards and dropped at the shot, kicked around then got up and ran off. We trailed blood about 60 yards and then nothing. I am guess she hit the top of the neck back somewhere and the shock just knocked her down.

We saw hogs again from that stand in the afternoon with a coyote trailing them. Never saw that before. Not sure if the wounded hog was in the bunch as I only saw 2 dart across a lane.

Recently we had a guy at out club shoot a hog that ran about 100 yds before it died. He couldn't see the hog from the stand because it was thick swamp and decided to just keep hunting for a while hoping for something else to show. He got down after about an hour and went to get his hog. He found what was left, most of the hams were gone. The only thing we have in SC that can do that is coyotes.

Originally Posted By: YellowhammerMy daughter shot her first hog day before yesterday.

You are raising them proper
thumbup1.gif

Last edited:
Back