243wssm ejection issues

tjonh2001

i am hoping someone can explain this to me. I am using an Olympic arms 243wssm upper for coyote hunting. . I have been running a very Common reload for it. Things worked fine when it was new but now it seems to stick on the ejection. I have cleaned the bolt and barrel. I haven't done anything to the gas block. I am new to ars and was told not to worry about them. When I fire I usually have to manually run the bolt and seems really hard to pull once it starts it moves easy.

Even if I put a loaded round in the chamber it feels sticky when I go to eject the round.

You probably are not bumping the shoulders back enough. Turn the die in another 1/8 turn and try a sized case. It should come out smooth as butter.

Greg

I have always bumped the shoulders twice. the reloads and factory ammo feel same. I'm not sure how the bolt locks but it feels like the bolt is catching on the barrel extension.

Did you brush the chamber out good when you were cleaning? Perhaps some buildup on the shoulder of the chamber?

Curious, do you have the heavy barreled upper or the light weight hunter model, and what kind of groups do you get. I'm always tempted to get one from Midway.

Sounds like dirty chamber to me, too.

Just checked some cases fired in my rifle and they are about .007" longer than my reloaded rounds so I would think the .012" should be ample. I don't have correct bushing for my stoney point for the 243 WSSM so used 308 bushing. It catches shoulder just a tad higher than it should but should serve as comparison.

Since handloads and factory both hang up in your rifle, I'd give the chamber a good scrubbing and see if that doesn't do it.

Regards,
hm

Originally Posted By: hm1996Sounds like dirty chamber to me, too.

That's exactly what it sounds like to me as well. If it's happening with both factory and reloads...both unfired and spent rounds. I'd bet your bolt, barrel and carrier are all clean and your chamber is getting sticky.

I cleaned the chamber tonight and will test in morning. I hope that's what it is. Would like to use this rifle for up coming tournament.

Shot it today and it ejected every round. Shot great 1/2moa groups with and without suppressor.

Do you other guys get gouges in the brass from being laoded from magazine?

Originally Posted By: tjonh2001Do you other guys get gouges in the brass from being laoded from magazine? Yes sir. What hm1996 said.
Mike and Carl (of Dtec and AS respectively) already give the bottom two bolt lugs a slight radius, but the folks at Oly just haven't figured that out yet.

Looks like this and you can do it with a dremel and a polishing wheel.

Back