Round blanks?

cec

Want to try my hand at making a few closed reed calls. I am doing it totally by hand so wondering if there is a place to buy any round stock instead of square? If i can start with something round i think it will help speed it up and have a better end result with all hand tools. Thanks for any help.

I know most home improvement stores sell dowel rods made from usually oak and pine. I have made calls from oak before

We have a hardware store that sells oak and pine dowels too.

My first calls were made from a mop handle, with a pocket knife, file, and sand paper. Butt ugly, but worked. LOL!

Rudy

Rudy, more than one call maker started out with a broom handle. I've had the privilege of watching a lot of guys move on to making beautiful calls over the years. It is interesting to watch the growth and transition.
The other thing that I'm impressed with is the willingness of call makers to help a newbie get started.
thumbup.gif

Wow Kerry thats amazing, thank you so much.,!

Thanks for the dowel idea I should of thought about that! I think i have about a 5 inch length of poplar dowel left over from a coat hanger project i can try first! I envy the beautiful calls all the builders here produce! I have no illusion of producing nothing like that with just my pocket knife, file, drill press and sand paper but it does inspires me to give it a try!!

You might be surprised what you come up with. I've seen guys find a talent they didn't know they had before, and I've certainly seen nice calls made from much less

Back