22 Magnum rimfire

phsnt hntr

I was thinking about getting a semi auto 22 magnum. I was looking at the cz 512 or maybe a Magnum Research. The price is about $200 difference. If it was you what would you buy? Plus any good info on either one of these would be great. Thanks

I have no experience with the Magnum Research but I've heard good things. They are built of a 10/22 action right? For the price its hard to beat a CZ, I have 6 of them. The 512 is nice but you have to get over the plastic receiver. If thats hard for you then look at the BRNO ZKM611, the predecessor to the 512. It sure is beautiful. If you want a really beautiful semi-auto 22 mag look into the H&K 300. Won't find a more sexy WMR. If you need any more help I'd at least browse over at Rimfire Central. You'll find anything you could ever want to know about rimfires over there

I got a Rem auto-loader..........fun gun to shoot....like a little ar without the larger mags.

I like it.......would have opted for a Marlin had I been able to find one..saw one at an auction go cheap here lately...

Great fox/raccoon gun. CZ or Magnum Research will be good........if you can hold each one and be honest with yourself and pick the one you like.

I have the 512 22wmr. I was able to get the trigger down to a nice 2lbs 8 oz. It was 4lbs out of the box. Not too much creep now. Only had it out once but I was getting really nice groups just using my shooting sticks. I was getting groups < 1" @ 50 yards. With my bad shooting and sticks that is good. I am confident it will go 1/2" or less @ 50 off a bench. With talley low rings the scope is just the right height.

The magnum research looks good but is so expensive.

I had a remington 597 heavy barrel laminated stock in 22 wmrf it was a really nice gun, wish I still had it. Did about 1 inch @ 100yds with remmy ballistic tip ammo and it was always fur friendly even with head shots on kit foxes

I have both the guns you are considering. I prefer the MR. I have the carbon wrapped barrel with the
open wood stock. The gun is a tack driver and only weighs about 4 1/2 pounds. There is nothing wrong with the CZ. I didn't know about the MR when I bought the CZ. The downside to the MR is you are only to use 40 gr or heavier ammo so the 30 gr Hornady is out.

I have owned the Magnum Research. The particular model i bought was the carbon fiber wrapped barrel and Hogue Stock. I also own a bolt marlin in stainless varmint with laminate stock. My thinking was to go to the magnum research carbon fiber wrapped barrel to get a lite weight gun. Heres my take on it. I was disappointed it came with a stock ruger trigger group which had the plastic housing. so instantly i opted for a Volquersten Trigger. IIRC that trigger was about $200 something. Then i also didnt like that the Magnum Research had the integrated scope base, it was way to high for a good cheek weld. The Houge stock required some cutting and dremel tool work in the magazine area. There was some rubber in the way that didnt allow the magazine to drop freely when u depressed the mag release. I also had to remove some rubber material from the fore end to allow the barrel to free float. The gun with the carbon barrel was extremely light, actually too light for me. I shook bad with it, no weight to help steady my shots. The action functioned flawlessly. If I was to purchase this gun again i would buy the laminate thumbhole model with the full stainless bull barrel. The carbon barrel shot decent but i did notice that the stainless cap that fit over the carbon wrap didnt line up perfectly with the interior barrel. Nothing huge but for the money i spent i expected it to be better. All said and done i had right at $1000 tied up into it with the trigger, extra mags, rings and scope. I ended up selling the whole package for a loss at $850. If i had to do it over again i would have just saved my money and stuck with my bolt marlin. As far as the CZ u are asking about I have no expirence. The magnum research looked good on paper and it is a great concept, but it just didnt WOW me for the money. Some of these things may be no big deal to u but to me for the money i spent i was expecting better overall performance and fit. Like i said it was fairly accurate but i had a hard time putting consistant groups downrange. Sometimes it would have them all stacked together, other times they would be spread out, may have just been me because i am not used to shooting this light weight of a gun. In the end I chose to sell it. I regret not doing my homework better before the purchase. I hate to say this considering the money, time and stress i spent on it, but I dont miss it. Who knows i could have got a lemon, and it could have just been my lack of ability to shoot it. But regardless its gone on down the rode and i chalked it up to a lesson learned.

Last edited:
My brother gave both of my boys a Remington 597 in 17hmr and then with the recall we sent them into have new barrels in 22mag installed. When they got back we scoped them back up and to the range we went. Picked up some cci's and they will shoot right at 1in groups or better. The triggers are a little stiff but are manageable. One is the heavy barrel and one is the sporter.

I have to admit, Like FredHorace, I replaced the trigger group in my Magnum Research with a KIDD trigger group. It is set at 1.5 lbs. The factory trigger is rough. I however liked the machined in picatinny rail. I have a 50mm scope on it and it sets perfect. the stainless cap on my barrel is lined up perfect as well. My gun came with the laminate wood stock. It is not the thumbhole, the whole buttstock is open so it is very light and shoots excellent groups.

Originally Posted By: Johnny BI have to admit, Like FredHorace, I replaced the trigger group in my Magnum Research with a KIDD trigger group. It is set at 1.5 lbs. The factory trigger is rough. I however liked the machined in picatinny rail. I have a 50mm scope on it and it sets perfect. the stainless cap on my barrel is lined up perfect as well. My gun came with the laminate wood stock. It is not the thumbhole, the whole buttstock is open so it is very light and shoots excellent groups. this is the stock I was referring to I didn't know what to call it so I called it a thumbhole. I will say it did have a very nice fit. I wish I would have bought the one with this stock the integrated rail wouldn't have probably been a big of a problem because the laminate stock has the better cheek piece

Last edited:
I am going to look at these options and really look them over. Thank you all for your input. Anyone else has any thought just keep submitting them it will really help.

I also have the Magnum Research with the carbon barrel and Houge stock, the trigger stinks so I replaced it with a Kidd, wish they still offered it in the french gray color instead of the black reciever, other then that it has been a great gun, I would say spend the extra and get it.

I have Magnum Research .22 mag with the Houge stock. The factory trigger stinks and you'll prolly want to replace it. The integrated scope rail isn't my favorite with the stock combination. The key though is getting super low rings. With the integrated rail, you can mount scopes up to 56mm without any issues.
Mine wears a 2.5-10*56 Trijicon. My MR shoots everything 1.25" or under. My mag prefers the Rem 33gr premiers.

Back