Camo

CanineKilla

Well it seems like Mossy Oak Brush is being fazed out. Cabelas only seems to be carrying their zones camo and not other patterns. Is there a new up and coming pattern that will be a good predator hunting camo?

Any of it works and that includes clothing that isn't in some fancy camo pattern. As long as it is drab colored you're good. Sitting still is far and away more important than what pattern camo you happen to be wearing.

Quote: Is there a new up and coming pattern that will be a good predator hunting camo?

I wear the Carhart Brown, it works pretty good where I go. I seem to remember at one time, I thought Cabelas only carried that ignorant Scentlock crap. Another silly gimmick, IMO.

As GC mentioned sitting still is best but i have always relied on ASAT camo to help me disappear. And i honestly believe over the past several yrs it has saved my but several times.

I think that camo can save you if you get caught moving a little but not enough to spook your quarry. This doesn't just go for predator but all hunting in general. I second ASAT, following at a distant second is cabelas outfitter camo. There isn't a mossy, realtree, or any other big name camo that doesn't turn into a black blob at 50 yards. Wear a brown or light grey and you will be surprised. I chase all manner of game with a long bow and these two camo patterns I have seen work.

Movement is big giveaway.
Camo does reduce detection on minor movement.
I have really liked MO Brush camo and have photographed it beside many other camos in multiple settings. Brush always came out best. Unable to get one coat in Brush I ended up with MO Duck Blind. It does good with success and photo.
Currently I believe Realtree Max-5 is very close to MO Duck Blind. MO Shadow Grass Blades is not bad either.
In Decades past most camo was too dark. Fine if your sitting amongst large black rocks,

http://www.realtree.com/all-camo-patterns

http://www.mossyoak.com/camouflage/shadowgrassblades.aspx

I do agree that sitting still is very important. Being mostly a hand caller I have a hard time sitting still and using the call to what I feel is how to best cast the widest possible sound net possible. I move around as I'm blowing my call. I'm scanning, turning my head, and "choking" the call with my hand, that all translates into movement. I'm not doing any disco dancing but I'm moving. I try to set up to give my camo a fair chance to break my outline up by choosing decent backdrops that compliment whatever camo I'm wearing the moment. I think that doing this gives me just a tad more freedom of movement. That being said, I wear MO Brush, old "who knows what it is" RT, Cabelas Outfitter, and good ol' Carhartt brown. I've been looking real hard lately at some M2D, I'd bet I have some hanging on the camo clothes rack sometime soon.

Last edited:
I use the ASAT camo for 90% of my hunting (deer,elk coyotes, etc). It blends in with most terrain. Most other camo pattern I have seen are too dark. The main thing is to stay still.

I use light camo as I sit out in the open often. By that I mean in a wheat stubble field or open pasture. I like the open country and high plains outfitter from Cabelas. I called for a long time using Carhart. Finally bought camo and I think it really helped improve my success.

M2D camo is all I have been using for the last 4 years, got rid of all my other since this stuff blends into all environments.

I'm a new hunter preparing for my first outing as a coyote hunting (most likely during the convention, hopefully beforehand). I just picked up a Zonz Western-pattern shirt from Cabela's, which to my eyes seems to be one of the better desert-ish camos I've seen, to my eyes anyway. I can't justify a full camo outfit at the moment so I'll be hunting in some khaki pants, but I think the Cabela's shirt will break up my outline fairly well.

Originally Posted By: CoyotejunkiQuote: Is there a new up and coming pattern that will be a good predator hunting camo?

I wear the Carhart Brown, it works pretty good where I go. I seem to remember at one time, I thought Cabelas only carried that ignorant Scentlock crap. Another silly gimmick, IMO.

I almost went with this... From a distance the lighter, the better, all out Khaki or Carhart brown is phenominal... We teamed up with Tru-Spec, and are testing the new Multicam Arid... The pattern is hands down the best I've ran for our terrain.

These pics I have the Military desert tan colored trousers

But now I generally just wear a carhart set of brown bibs and my leafy top. Whole lot cheaper and IMO, very effective. But ya still gotta be still, regardless.
smile.gif

alot of good camo out there now. I have spent most of my life studying camo and outline breakup is key, I have a great fondness for kuiu verde as it is the best at tricking deer yet and I had a bobcat come and sit at 4-5 ft and watch me until I couldnt take it anymore and I blinked.

Back