Be careful what you shoot at

Because, REDFROG, they carry no testosterone that makes us do things we may regret later; usually 'you all watch this' kind of stuff. JMHO

I started reloading early in high school for a model 92 Winchester 38-40 carbine. Used 6 or so grains of #6 pistol powder IIRC. Had a portable 310 Lyman "Tong Tool" so usually took everything out to a small workbench in the garage.

One day I had a few rounds I wanted to disassemble for one reason or another to save the components and unable to think of anything better to temporarily hold the powder, cleaned an ashtray and dumped the powder in the ashtray.

Well, as so often happens w/teenagers, something more interesting to do came along and I left the ashtray sitting on the bench. Did I mention that #6 pistol powder bears a strong resemblance to cigarette ashes? Well, take my word for it, it does!

Needless to say, dad came home from work, parked his car in the garage and, walking past the bench next to kitchen door, noticed the ashtray, picked it up on the way by and carried it into the house. I'll leave the rest to your imagination.

I didn't even get to see the results, but sure did hear about it!
Needless to say, I never did that again.

Regards,
hm

Use to light smokeless powder with a lighter and watch it sizzle and spark got a hold of some black powder not the same result , put about a tablespoon on the ground went to light it don't even think the lighter lit , a lot of smoke smell of burnt hair and a burnt right hand .
New story got into sporting clays got my own progressive reloader , new to reloading bb or powder mess every now and then used wives vacuum to clean it up , never a problem until one day all the stars and weather aligned and kaboom scared and unhappy wife ! static electricity is a wild thing nobody hurt ( not even me ) but did blow the vacuum cleaner bag apart . I was asked very politely kinda to never do that again . I think it was something like you did what . you a DUMB *** etc. etc. etc. It went on for little while

When I was a kid I wondered how hard a bb would hit my finger . So I took my older brothers 770 into the laundry room (away from everyone ) pumped it once held my thumb over the end of the barrel . Then pulled the trigger . It didn't feel like much . So I pumped it twice and did it again not much harder. Then I tried 3 pumps. That is when my mother walked in and asked my what I was doing. After she left I put my finger over the barrel and pulled the trigger . Nothing happened so I pumper it 3 more times COCKED it And shot a bb into my thumb. Looking back I hadn't cocked it when my mother came in so it didn't go off the first time.

When I was about 10 my fathers friends friend showed my brother and I a cool trick. You take spent .22 cases and put paper match heads into it bend the end over . Then you hit it with a hammer it sound like a 22 going off. Our father seen us doing it and told us to stop before someone got hurt. One day just after he and my brother-in-lave took off to go down state .some friends showed up. One of them asked me to show the others the 22 trick. So I went out back and found some spent brass and rounded up some paper matches . I showed them how to put them together but when I hit it with a hammer the bottom of the case blew off and went about 2 inches into my leg .

Years ago heard of a couple of older (40+) brothers who drilled out a tractor axle and loaded it up with powder and used a sparkplug for a bullet. Went thru both sides of a cement stave silo and kept going. Proof that you are NEVER too old to try something you maybe shouldn't!!

Originally Posted By: iceboxdan When I was a kid I wondered how hard a bb would hit my finger . So I took my older brothers 770 into the laundry room (away from everyone ) pumped it once held my thumb over the end of the barrel . Then pulled the trigger . It didn't feel like much . So I pumped it twice and did it again not much harder. Then I tried 3 pumps. That is when my mother walked in and asked my what I was doing. After she left I put my finger over the barrel and pulled the trigger . Nothing happened so I pumper it 3 more times COCKED it And shot a bb into my thumb. Looking back I hadn't cocked it when my mother came in so it didn't go off the first time.

When I was about 10 my fathers friends friend showed my brother and I a cool trick. You take spent .22 cases and put paper match heads into it bend the end over . Then you hit it with a hammer it sound like a 22 going off. Our father seen us doing it and told us to stop before someone got hurt. One day just after he and my brother-in-lave took off to go down state .some friends showed up. One of them asked me to show the others the 22 trick. So I went out back and found some spent brass and rounded up some paper matches . I showed them how to put them together but when I hit it with a hammer the bottom of the case blew off and went about 2 inches into my leg .

Did the same thing with a pellet pistol, 6 shot revolver CO2 powered, drinking for 36hrs straight when I was about 20 years old. Fired what I thought was 6 rounds @ empty beer bottles, hit 5 of 6 shots...pretty good I thought!! Then I had the brilliant idea to see just how much pressure the CO2 cartridge provided, fired one shot @ my palm from a few inches away and thought that didn't feel too powerful, then I put my left index finger over the barrel and pulled the trigger, I guess the second shot that 'missed' didn't miss at all, but didn't fire, it did the second time. I ripped the pellet out of my finger with my teeth and continued drinking. Learned a valuable lesson that day...alcohol & firearms don't mix, even pellet guns.

Then there was the time a buddy and I made some exploding arrows with fireworks and modified 12g shotgun shells...they actually worked and didn't injure either of us. Mind you I was about 25 and he 22, and we weren't drinking so we actually used our heads and did it 'safely'!!

Then there was all the times my brothers and I were kids with crappy little pump handgun bb guns. We would wage wars on each other and shoot it out in the basement. That all ended the day my two older brothers were outside playing war. My oldest brother was hiding behind the wood pile when my other brother realized he could get at him by shooting through the openings in the pile. Needless to say, my oldest brother almost lost an eye & the bb guns were confiscated! No major injuries were incurred & we all lived to tell the tale
wink.gif

Given the opportunity, I'd only go back to stop myself from shooting that pellet into my index finger
thumbup.gif

Since y'all are into propane bottles and shooting... Had some clown try to blow up a pallet of bees a few years back. 2 lb. propane bottle set on top of the beehive and they shot it with a load of birdshot. Wad out of the shell was stuck in the side of the bee hive; not only weren't they very bright, they weren't a real good shot. Which may well have been a good thing, because the bottle was about 2/3 full. Can't imagine what would have happened if it had actually blown up with them that close.

We threw it in the truck and carried it back to the shop, big dent in the side of the bottle. It sat around for several weeks, until one of the kids, in the process of cleaning up, grabbed it and threw it in the trash barrel. Which sat around another week or two there, before the barrel got full and someone transferred it's contents into the burn barrel.

Let's just say a pound and a half of propane, in one of those 2 lb bottles, will shake the ground inside the building, and completely EMPTY a burn barrel of it's contents, when it goes off! Not to mention it will scare the living [beeep] out of you!!

Fortunately, no one was outside at the time, as there was a 120 foot ring of burning debris. Burning debris on top of the metal roof on the shop... 16 foot sidewalls on the shop, and it is over 40 feet from the barrel to the building. Not just a little burning debris up there either.

So not only should you be careful what you shoot, you should be careful of what other people shoot too!!

the only thing that I really ever did was take one of the small co2 cartridge's that had been used. drill the top out big enough for a canon fuse. filled it with shotgun powder. it made a nice little POP. no one was hurt but my older sister came out yelling to tell me how stupid I was.

Well most everybody has got me beat when it comes to doin dumb stuff the worst thing that's happened to me ( with guns ) happened to me last feb. Me and some buddy's went out coyote hunting 1 of the hadn't ever been around guns, on our 1st stand he fired a round into the air while walking in. No one was hurt we had a laugh gave him a hard time and moved on to the next stand. Luckily we were in my mega cab (my pride and joy prior to my son). We stopped for our 2nd stand as the guys were grabbing their stuff out of the truck I laid my rifle across my lap with the drivers door open opened the bolt dropped a round in closed the bolt. I then turned grabbed my gloves off the center console and BOOM first I checked my legs for holes, made sure all my buddy's were ok then I noticed the small hole in my door panel....... looked at the other side of the door and found a dent a dime would cover on the other side 243wssm!!! Thank god it hit the window runner, and my window was up!!!! Wife still doesn't know about that I can laugh about it now but it scared the [beeep] out of me!

A Handful of .22 shells, a slingshot, and a brick wall was a fun afternoon when we were kids. Surprisingly non of us were ever injured.

Junior year welding class, made a 2"x2"x4" box out of 1/8" steel. Drilled a hole in it and filled it full of powder. Shoved a Black Cat fire cracker in the hole and me and my buddy went out to the field to set it off. After the explosion you could hear his mom cursing up a storm from the barn. The goat didn't give milk for days.......

There is a reason I chose ordnance as my MOS in the Marine Corps....I won't go into details here, but it was the worse beating I ever got from my dad. I was 12.
w00t.gif

Back