2 out of 3 ain't bad

Predator257Roy

Went out yesterday and on my second stand I saw 3 yotes way out on the other side of the field. I had to move up to get a shot (and to get out of the mud/cow crap mixture I was walking in. I kept an old corral and some small brushy tree between us, stayed low, and moved with purpose. Around the corral, crossed an old fence and got layed out on a big slab of limestone rock. The yotes had just moved into some trees and were not aware of my presence. I called a few short bursts with the long locust burl closed reed in the picture and soon after saw the coyotes entering the field and working their way towards me down the edge of dry creek bed. They were all between 200 & 250 yards. The leader stopped and turned away and crossed back over the creek, one or two blows on the antler closed reed turned him back around facing directly towards me. I put it on his head and squeezed the trigger lightly, he dropped. Coyotes scattered and I turned slightly towards my right. This dog was running dead away from me and I was on him but he slowed a bit for a second to try to figure out the situation of figure out where his buddy was going. No sooner had he done this I again squeezed the trigger with the crosshairs dead on the back of his head and saw a poof of red as he tumbled over himself. Dog number three was high tailing it out at three hundred, to the left of the first one and running to the left and away towards a cedar thicket. I was trying to stay on him and was firing also, dirt was popping up all around him as he ran for his life. I yelled and he stopped. Squeezing the trigger again all I got was a click. After several seconds he takes off, I re-chamber a round, but that was it. I called a short bit more but didn't have anything come in. With 18 pound rifle on my back I took off towards my two coyotes. I was grinning ear to ear when I got to them, the first one missing the back of his head, the other, missing half of his face. I was about to exit the field and something up on the hill caught my eye, the third one had returned. I dropped the two in hand, unslung my rifle and set flipped out the bipods. 300 yards, maybe a bit more, with a perfect still shot, I squeezed yet again, this time pulling the shot however and missing, as did the few follow up shot I got before cows and trees entered my line of sight. Did I miss out of sheer excitement, or was it just from my arms being exhausted from dragging out my double kill? Not sure, but either of the two sounds like a good excuse to me. Two out of tree ain't bad!

looks like you had some really Purdy calls to choose from, sounds like you made a good choice, fine shooting on the first two, leaving one for seed ain't so bad...

Last edited:
Thanks! The calls are all from TNYotehntr.
Rifle specs:
Custom Armalite SASS, Built at Predator Custom Shop in Knoxville, TN. Magpul Stock, Ergo grip ("Nastygrip" textured). Scope is IOR Valdada 6.5-25x56mm 35mm tube, IOR rings, Armalite gas system with adjustable gas block, Armalite Quadrail, Rock Creek 20" 1-10 twist barrel, Thunderbeast 30P-1 Suppressor, Blue Force Gear sling.
Shoots AWESOME!
w00t.gif

Originally Posted By: TNYotehntrPutting 'em away! Great shooting Bobby! Head shots... show off!

Thanks Brad, couldn't have done it without ya bud!

Funny, never had anyone say that before, going to have to look for some young pics of him. I'd be great presidential material, fix this country up for sure, lol!

Back