Fur Friendly .223

CountryBoy23

I guess this is right place to ask this question. I was wondering what you guys thought about 52 gr AMAX's in a .223 being fur friendly for coyotes and foxes and still being able to get the job done. Thanks.

thumbup.gif
Excellent question for your first post. Since this question has never been discussed here before, we finally have a place to get a definitive answer.

No experience, but I did just look on the search engine for you and there are several pages with reference to the 52 amax. Just type in '52 amax' and read away.

yeah, I just said that......

Last edited:
I cannot speak to the 52 Amax at 223 speeds but it is devastating at 22-250 speeds. Most of the time there are big messy exit wounds. They expand violently and apparently the bits and pieces keep going because very rarely is there no exit wound. It is my go to coyote bullet in the 22-250.

Not sure I get why anyone would want to use not just an expanding bullet but an explosively expanding bullet designed to expend all of it's energy on the target and try to not damage fur???? First off, any 223 load will easily kill a fox or coyote, any bullet weight and any reasonable powder charge. If you are going to shoot at the outer edge of that cartridges capability then obviously you will want more velocity. All that said, if you want to save fur the last thing you want is a bullet that will expand. All you need to do to kill either animal is to drill a nice clean hole thru either one. You want a non expanding bullet like a full metal jacket. I really never got how guys split hairs over doing a job so easy...should I use the 52 grain bullet or the 55???? I guess it makes them sound important to themselves. The fact is that from 40 all the way up to 77 grain if you hit either animal it will die. Foxes are such soft bodied animals that saving fur with a high powered rifle cartridge could be a challenge even with FMJ bullets but they will be the best you can do.

FMJ's will pencil through if you dont hit bone but they are not legal for hunting in many states.
I guess this is why many opt for the pointed soft point.

due to a lot of backstop issues here I don't use fmj's but msinc is right where I can use them they do a great job

If you're reloading, and want to save fur on both species, a lighter-weight, and lighter-built bullet (think 40 - 45 grain Hornet-specific or rapid-expanding bullet) loaded down under 3000 or so fps is what you're looking for. Then to actually kill, and not wound the coyotes with that type of load, treat it like the 22 Hornet you've loaded it to be - stay off the heavy shoulder, leg and brisket bones. Guys here are reporting success with that recipe repeatedly.

Oh, and to save yourself the issues of asking the same question that gets asked every week and firing up some of the less patient members, use the search function. Plenty of info here already ripe for the picking.

Last edited:
yeah some members here don't take kindly to questions that have already been asked and while I use the search function quite a bit, I refuse to stop asking questions in hopes of some different answers. most of us don't mind being patient with new questions. as far as im concerned keep em coming.

For fun I used the search and its actually pretty terrible. First page had zero info on a 52 gr AMAX...it happens to catch the odd thread with AMX or 52 mentioned in it.

yeah and to be honest the way equipment progresses and people are doing new things all the time. I just ask the questions I feel I would like to have answered and ignore the rude remarks. if they don't want to answer my questions they don't have to. it is THEIR choice to click on a thread I started and start typing. BTW I have not gotten many rude remarks. most guys here are very approachable and want you to succeed. I know I do.

Thank you to the guys that haven't been rude. I really appreciate your answers. I was thinking that since the Hornady website said the AMAX was a match bullet, it wouldn't expand like crazy. I think I'm going to try 52 gr Sierra HPBTs, some 40 gr NBTs, or some 40 gr Sierra BlitzKings. How much difference is there between the Ballistic Tips and BlitzKings?

not sure about the blitzking difference but watch out for the nbt's I love them but the solid base of that bullet WILL pass through a fox. great on yotes though. im running 50 gr. bt's and they are super accurate and devastating but they too tear a fox up. I have heard great things about 40 and 45 gr loads loaded down to hornet velocities. maybe try that? I have given up on 223 for saving fox fur for the most part but I have heard of guys loading 40 gr vmax down around 3000 and having good results

Originally Posted By: Saskcoyote78For fun I used the search and its actually pretty terrible. First page had zero info on a 52 gr AMAX...it happens to catch the odd thread with AMX or 52 mentioned in it.

that is strange. i just typed in 52gr a-max and got 10 pages.

Originally Posted By: SlickerThanSnotOriginally Posted By: Saskcoyote78For fun I used the search and its actually pretty terrible. First page had zero info on a 52 gr AMAX...it happens to catch the odd thread with AMX or 52 mentioned in it.

that is strange. i just typed in 52gr a-max and got 10 pages.

Ten pages of threads that might contain the letters "52" or the word "Amax" The first page of listed threads didnt have one thread that was specifically dealing with "52 AMAX being fur friendly" Perhaps Im using the search engine wrong but its pretty hit and miss in my experience.

Cheers!!

Originally Posted By: Saskcoyote78 Perhaps Im using the search engine wrong but its pretty hit and miss in my experience.

Cheers!! yes, perhaps you are.

cheers!!

Okay, thanks reaper, I think Im gonna try the Sierra 52 gr HPBTs first then maybe the 40 gr BlitzKings. Have you heard anything about those 52 gr HPBTs?

Back