46 lb. orange coyote down this AM

NYyotekiller

Finally with our deer season over here in New York State; I got out to do a little bit of coyote hunting this morning. Conditions were perfect other than being a little bit too quiet... if that's even possible.

First set of the day I set up on a hedgerow that separates two fields that are roughly 400 yards across them.

Here is the view to the south at my back, and where the wind was coming from.

Here is the view to my north which I was facing.

I started out with five minutes of female coyote long howls on the old FoxPro Fury II with three minutes of silence after that. Then I switched to Bay bee Cottontail. At the fourteen minute mark I see one pop out of the edge of the field at around 350 yards and sit down and stare in my direction. He sat there for probably a minute until he couldn't take it anymore and had to come check out the FoxPro Foxjack decoy.

Here is the path that he took along the field edge until I took the shot at around 100 yards.

The Hornady 53 grain V-max did it's job and dropped him in his tracks with a straight on shot and impacted center of chest on the 46 lb. male.

After I shot, I sat there for a minute to see if the Foxbang would bring anything else in behind him. I waited probably for two minutes and started to get up when I heard a dog barking from back behind me. I could see a dog out around 500 yards roughly alarm barking at me. I lobbed one out at him to no avail as he turned and burned on out of there.

Originally Posted By: Night Eyes

Never saw one that color.

Makes you wonder if there is a little bit of domestic dog in the background somewhere, huh? It's a bit "stockier" in build than most also.

NICE job whatever the case!

This makes the third orange colored coyote that I've shot; my stepfather has also shot one the same color. These were shot on different farms eight miles away as the crow flies.

All I can say is... Way to Go!!!! Coyotes are playing hard to get this season and you got done in time for the holidays!!

thumbup.gif
Very nice color.

Back