6.8 build ?

lodiyote hntr

I am in the process of building a new rifle( my first) and have a couple of questions. First, I have decided on a 6.8 and am wondering which is better a 6 groove 1:11 twist barrel or I've seen a 4 groove 1:11 twist offered both were from white oak? The barrels were both 18". My second question is what are your thoughts on there adjustable presicion buttstock for a calling \deer rifle? Sorry no picture it is similar to magpul's PRS stock as far as adjustability but it looks more like a ace skeleton stock.

White oak makes good barrels,get a 16" barrel no real need for 18" Mine are 16" and 11.5"
as far as the butt stock if you like it buy it.
I'm using ace and Hogue and like them both.

Originally Posted By: lodiyote hntrWon't the extra inches give me more velocity, or is this round designed to be used in shorter barrels?

It will give you more velocity but yes it was desinged for 16" barrel. I built a 20" WOA for a guy and it shoots great.

Does it really make much of a difference if its 4 or 6 groove rifling accuracy wise? Or should I just pick one and be happy with what I have?

I wouldn't go any longer than 18", but I prefer my 16". White Oak has very nice barrels and I think the 4 groove would just be easier to clean. I would pass on White Oak's adjustable stock. That's made for competition shooting and looks weird. You would be better off with a Luth-AR MBA...similar to a PRS but 1/2 the weight and 2/3 the cost.

It's always weird to me that the common advice is that "more than 16" isn't needed for the 6.8SPC," when the opposite advice is most common for every other "AR cartridge". I had a 16", wanted a bit more, so my new barrel will be 18" unless I can find a 20".

The bad part about spending a lot of money on an adjustable stock like the PRS or the White Oak equivalent is that once you set it, you'll never change it again, and you can save a lot more money by adapting a standard stock to those dimensions instead. Adding a cheek riser and stock spacers can get you where you need to be for fit for less money, and then you never have to worry about it getting moved out of adjustment and out of fit. I bought a PRS a few years ago, like it a lot, think very highly of it, but I won't ever buy another one simply because it's really NOT $200 better than an A2 stock.

It is efficient enough at 16 that you don't need a long barrel for it. Sure go longer if you want. It isn't as beneficial as it is for a .243 or other rounds needing that extra velocity to get the most use out of them.

The 6.8SPC was developed for use in a 16 inch tube. The velocity gain with a couple more inches of barrel isn't worth the weight and kills much of the excellent handling properties of the carbine. 2 inches of barrel only gains you something like 50fps, not worth it IMO. To each his own.

Plus 1 for Bison Armory as well. Ben turns out one heck of an upper(his whole rifles are great well)

I have a Stag 7h with the 20" barrel and I think its great.I carry my bolt gun with 24" barrel to [beeep] and back with no problems so the 6.8 is no problem. Most factory ballistic testings "Federal,ect" are done from a 24" barrel.

Originally Posted By: lodiyote hntrDoes it really make much of a difference if its 4 or 6 groove rifling accuracy wise? Or should I just pick one and be happy with what I have?

I used the 6 and got 1/2" groups at 100 yrds with a 3x9 scope if you get a scope with cds make sure they know it's a 20" barrel the extra velocity make a big difference at 300 yrds we found out and had new dials made then it worked great.

Head on over to the 68forums and u will get pretty dang good advice on the 6.8 SPC.

Oh and yes the 6.8 SPC was designed around a 16" barrel and weak loads. The 6.8 SPC II chamber works pretty good with a 18" barrel and a mid length gas system.

Last edited:
+1 to what Lights said. I've got 2, 6.8 rifles now, both with 16" barrels, one has a 1:10 6 groove and the other has a 1:11 4 groove, both shoot good enough to kill deer and yotes. The 1:11 4 groove is pretty much the bottom of what the 6.8 guru's consider to be acceptable nowadays, but like I said both of mine shoot fine. Haven't shot any of the WOA barrels, but I hear that they're great. Check out the 6.8 forums for some more really great detailed info though, they're pretty helpful over there, that's where I did all of my research.

Back