Burris Predator Quest 4.5-14×42- Updated

FairChase93

I've been looking at these scopes for a long time and I finally pulled the trigger on one. It's ordered and should be here Friday. There really doesn't seem to be much information readily available on the internet about these scopes but they appear to be an exact clone of the Fullfield E1 line with different decals stuck on them and for just a little less money. I Picked Up A Burris MTAC 4.5-14 × 42 earlier this year and I have been VERY happy with it so far.

I'm hoping this Predator Quest impresses just as much. It will be going on a Rem 700 ADL Varmint and be one of my main calling rigs this winter. Planning on a review when I've had a chance to put a few downrange. Not that my opinion is worth anything, but at least I'll have one! Searched all over the Internet and there just isn't much out there, maybe that's a bad thing I geuss. Either way I'll be the guinea pig.

Last edited:
Thanks for any info. I'm looking at maybe buying that same scope. Was hoping they are the improved E1 model and not the old FF. Gotta be better than the Simmons Predator Quest.

The scope finally showed up the other day and I got it mounted last night. The gun is a Remington 700 ADL Varmint 22-250. The base is a Weaver one piece multislot base and the rings are Warne Maxima Vertical split rings.

Up close view of the eye piece with the the Predator Quest logo.

Top view of the eyepiece.

View of what the turrets look like.

Picture of the Anti Reflective Device that comes with the scope.

I haven't shot this setup yet perhaps I will have a chance later today. First impressions of the scope so far are very good. I really like the reticle which was a major selling point to me, it is simple and as far as ballistic reticles go uncluttered. Without any real world experience with it yet I don't have much of an opinion but overall I am very happy with the purchase. The glass looks good but to be fair a lot of glass looks good indoors under lights. The anti reflective device has no affect on clarity and is a feature that I will probably utilize, although I'm on the fence about whether scope glint is that important to cover up or not.

The numbers on the magnification ring and adjustable objective are orange and very easy to read. The turrets are finger adjustable and resettable to zero. One major complaint so far is that the turrets feel HORRIBLE! Granted this scope was not designed with the intent of dialing turrets often but if one were to want to it would be a chore. They are absolute mush. As long as the scope can hold zero I am not too concerned with the turrets but it is still disappointing. Street price right now on these is 300.00 which I believe is fair. I was told by Burris that these scopes and the Fullfield E1 are exactly the same except of some of the finishing cosmetics, and when you consider the Predator Quest is 50.00 cheaper than just a plain old E1 they are actually a bargain.

Personally my favorite magnification range for hunting is 4.5-14*42, I know quite a few don't think that it offers enough field of view but they work quite well for me. If I am hunting in thick timber ill probably have the shotgun anyways.

I am becoming more and more of a fan of Burris and for general hunting optics in this price range I feel like they are an excellent value. These scopes are made in the Philippines which is not as comforting as Japanese, German, or American made is but still IMHO much better than Chinese made.

Once I have a chance to get to the range ill post an update. I am probably not qualified to do a review of the scope but there is VERY little out there about this line so I thought I would share my experiences.

I got a chance to go to the range with this setup a couple days ago and am very happy to say the least. The optics were clear edge to edge and the scope tracked as it should. I was not able to shoot beyond 200 yards as I ran out of time but I was able to get zeroed at 200 which if everything lines up the way it should according to my ballistics calculator and reticle increments I should have hold points out to 600 yards. Now I wont really know anything until I've actually had a chance to shoot that far but based on some simple numbers it looks good.
Some pictures from the range trip

This picture is from the first five shots after a quick bore sight, I made some adjutments after the 2nd and 3rd shots. I was looking to be about an 1.5inches high to get me close to a 200 yard zero.

This picture shows my first 4 shots at 200, i switched to Shoot n See targets to make adjustments easier at that range. The first shot is the highest one in the picture, after an adjustment the next 3 are the group just under the bullseye. I was pushing it for light the way it was and i was getting rather chilly as the temps were in the mid teens so i only had a chance to shoot the 1 group. All in all i would say the scope offers a lot of bang for the buck.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info on the Burris Predator scope. I already own 3 scopes from Burris and plan to buy a Predator 4.5-14 next year when I purchase a new 17hmr - probably a Savage or CZ. I had sent an email to Burris Support last month and they confirmed that the Fullfield E1, FFII, and Predator Quest all use the same glass. I also have Nikon's, Vortex, and 1 Bushnell, and to me the 4.5-14 FF E1 (plus 2-7, and FF II 4.5-14) has the sharpest image, Nikon - second, Vortex - third.

Back