First day out with 2 new hunters

gonzaga

Well I was talking to my oldest daughter and her boyfriend last night about going coyote hunting and my daughter asked if they can go. Her boyfriend has never hunted in his life so I thought it would be both a good opportunity to see what this kid is made of and spend some time with my little girl.....
So we finally get loaded up, get the dog in the truck, and off we go.
We make out first stand of the day, it was a nice spot, but full of pronghorn and cows, so nothing showed up.
Drive up the road about 7 miles. Get out, grab gear and start walking...I am explaining to them where I think a bobcat or a coyote might appear from. So about 5 minutes into the stand using Tebbes little orange call, I see a set of ears coming and coming fast, grass is tall enough that he can't see us sitting so I bring up the binos and sure enough 1st coyote of the year is coming hard and fast. I whisper there's one, they're both looking to the left and I say straight ahead.....he veers to the right so I pick up the .223 AI and try to stop him.....he is still moving trying to get down wind, so I bring up the rifle try to find him but the scope is set to 10x from previous trips to the range.....lol. I squeeze the trigger and went right over him. Advantage of having a suppressor on the rifle is that he wasn't into Mach 5 speed yet, so he turns and makes the fatal mistake of running straight away, level the rifle after working the bolt and soon hear that familiar "thud", the BF says "you rolled him". Coyote 1 for the year in the truck.

Drive up the road about a mile get out, walk about 400 yards, set up....call for 15 minutes with no takers....walk another 400 yards and get set up again. I'm thinking to myself "if there isn't a coyote in here I'll hang up the calls for good".
Set up under a big Pinon tree. BF watching off to the left and me the rest....lol. after about 5 minutes I see movement, a good 1000 yds off. A slow stalker, at first I was thinking it was a bobcat. Because it just kept sitting down and wouldn't commit, This is where it's nice to have good binos. I use a pair of Swarovski 8x30 SLC and could see him clearly the whole way. I whistled at Zeke to let him know where he was....he looked but couldn't find him, finally after about 5 minutes he located him. He had closed to about 500. I was looking around for another coyote when I hear a shot off to me left, Zekes location, I look up and coyote is moving now....away from us at warp speed....lol. I asked him what coyote he shot at, he said that one out there....I started laughing and asked him if was a sniper now? Trying to shoot his first coyote from so far away.....lol. he was upset....lol. so I get to keep my calls....
So we drove up the road about 15 miles and happened to see a rancher friend of mine. He asked what we were up to so I just said riding around and had made a couple of stands and he asked if we had shot that coyote on his place. I said " no sir, I didn't ask permission so I wouldn't do that". Much to my surprise he offered up a section of his place that always has looked very promising....but I'd never asked....
So we get set up and start calling. The dog has been running around and is getting tired I think, because he walks up to Zeke and hikes his leg up and is just about to give him a warm shower....lol. I tell Zeke that the dog is about to Wizz on him so he smacks the dog, well the dog thinks it's time to play now so he is trying to wrestle the kid....I am laughing my
A$$ off, the whole time the kid is shrieking like a little girl....one of the best stands ever.....lol. so needless to say that stand is a wash...
Walk up about 400 yards and set up on an old water dam, start calling and we see an antelope exiting the area. I watch him for a while, as he's moving off I see a object off to the left move. Coyote!!, I keep looking and find another one. This pair is a good mile away, walking away. I bring up the little orange Tebbe call and give a howl, before i know it they are looking our way. I give another quick howl and they are starting to walk towards us, I start screaming on the call and they are officially interested. So I tell Zeke where they are and he can't see them. I move up next to him and show him, but from where he's sitting, he can't see them. I tell him to raise up just a little bit and look, he says " they're coming in fast" I just smile.....so I get the kid positioned off on my right and tell him to focus on the slope to our right......sure enough coyote pops up and stops right on the top of the bank, but Zeke can't see it, he wants to move but the coyote hasn't seen us so I just reassure him to stay still. I start lip squeaking, and the coyote comes about 30 yards closer, he drops her with one shot, about a 75 yard chip shot. He is stoked, I tried pup distress but the other coyote is buying it. The dog runs up onto the hill and starts wooling the coyote up. Dang dog was behind us looking for water....lol.
Hero shots coming soon....not the best decoy dog action but it's better than him sitting in the kennel....he will earn his keep....
hero pics coming soon...

Last edited by a moderator:
thumbup1.gif

Very nice, Richie. I will be tempted to leave any boyfriends out in the boonies snipe hunting, and you're decent enough to have him shooting, wtg. HOM stuff here.

Thanks guys. Really appreciate the nice comments. I figure if she's going to keep him around I better make sure he's of good use..lol
He's already volunteered for another trip....

He's actually a good kid. He's never once complained about anything to me. To be honest a few weeks ago I did have him out there chopping up some oak firewood. Anyone that knows about splitting oak knows how that can be.....
He's a pretty good at welding too, so I can get some use out him there too. He takes care of his own vehicle. I'm pretty bad about harassing him about anything and everything....lol.
The main thing is that he treats my girl good, he's honest and respectful to her and the rest of our family.
I started taking him to the range with me, he has taken interest in starting to reload and has actually been reloading for his 308....with my equipment, but I don't mind, as long as he's safe...

Way to go man! Glad ya got a little dog action. Looks like ya had a great day.

Nice looking dog too.

I feel for ya on the boys. My girls are getting to that age too. NOT looking forward to it.

Richie--Great story and congratulations on getting some coyotes to come in for a shot or two.

Make sure you set down some rules for that BF of your daughter's and I second the motion
on letting the BF know that you are a good shot with both the rifle and the shotgun!!!

ROTFLMAO.jpg

I have a 13 year old daughter and she's not allowed to date for 20 more years...I was hoping to read how to handle a "hunting accident" story here.

Anyway cool write up! Congrats on a successful hunt.

He definitely knows that I'm a good shot. He goes to the range with me. He was set straight and advised of both bodily harm and disappearance if anything happens to my baby girl....he treats her good and puts up with constant harassment....mostly from me but my son gets his shots in too....

I appreciate the advice Silverfox.
Jeff,It's not fun to see your baby girl grow up, but it's fun to make their boyfriends squirm....lol

True story: about five years ago she happened to bring this kid home to meet me. It was during the Christmas season and I work some long hours(UPS). I'd just put in a 12hr day and my family was going Christmas carolling, so in walks this kid named Jared. I'm sitting by the fire, taking off my boots relaxing. So I'm like yeah whatever....fast forward to Friday night. Jared comes to the house and walks right in like he lives there. I am cleaning my rifle talking to my buddy Steve about the next days hunt when I see him walk in. I tell him who the f$@& are you? I'm Jared, I met you the other night. I said so you think you can just walk in here? I say get over here and sit down,I've got to talk to you. So I ask him if he's good at hide and seek? He says what? So than I ask him if he's a fast runner? He says well yeah I'm pretty fast. To which I say. "You think you can out run one of these bullets?,because if you do anything yo hurt her,I'll be looking for you and I'll be bringing this rifle."
I never saw that kid again....

Thanks for the good story gonzaga. You are lucky to have a nice daughter that wants to spend time with you. More pictures please.
Dave

Back