How would you feel if someone...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GC

... Not in your hunting group shot the coyote your dogs were running? I got into a discussion with a guy recently about this. His story was that he was squirrel hunting and had a pack of hounds run a coyote right to him and he shot and killed the coyote. I felt like he probably shouldn't have killed their coyote, just enjoyed the run and after the dogs ran through continue his squirrel hunt. No big deal. He is of the mindset that he saw a coyote and killed it (even though he knew darned good and well it was being run by someone's hounds) and nobody should get worked up by it. I feel like he interfered and interrupted the dog guys hunt. How do you dog owners feel about such a situation?

He should have just watched the show and let them run on by. We run hounds and when they get on a coyote, we consider it is ours.

Originally Posted By: DoubleCKNo one should get worked up about it. Life is too short! Besides, what are the odds?

If he'd been hunting Squirrels with a Cur Dog he could have joined the chase and made some new friends.

What a dumbazz.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: DoubleCKNo one should get worked up about it. Life is too short! Besides, what are the odds?

This....And how would he know....The yote could be way ahead of the hounds....Not to mention the fact who's property are the dogs on....

Originally Posted By: RePeteOriginally Posted By: DoubleCKNo one should get worked up about it. Life is too short! Besides, what are the odds?

If he'd been hunting Squirrels with a Cur Dog he could have joined the chase and made some new friends.

What a dumbazz.
smile.gif

Charlie, My little curr goes bat.chit.crazy trying to get to the squirrels around here.

My little "Squirrel Girl" is quite the character.

Originally Posted By: Predburner Originally Posted By: DoubleCKNo one should get worked up about it. Life is too short! Besides, what are the odds?

This....And how would he know....The yote could be way ahead of the hounds....Not to mention the fact who's property are the dogs on....

They were all on public ground and he could hear the chase coming his direction. He knew what was going on and actually moved ahead a little to intercept the chase. What he didn't actually know was what the dogs were running. Around here it could have been a coyote, fox, bobcat or wild hog. It wouldn't have mattered he would have shot whatever came by. I just wondered how dog owners would feel about it.

Originally Posted By: CoyotejunkiOriginally Posted By: RePeteOriginally Posted By: DoubleCKNo one should get worked up about it. Life is too short! Besides, what are the odds?

What a dumbazz.
smile.gif

Charlie, My little curr goes bat.chit.crazy trying to get to the squirrels around here.

My little "Squirrel Girl" is quite the character.

Mine does to Dan but for some reason she looses interest and leaves the tree once their up.

My senile old Pete dog (GSP) is actually the Squirrel dog around here.
He'll tree one out in the dog yard and spend all day (on point) keeping it up there.
Sometimes I actually have to go get him so's he'll eat supper. LOL

Back on topic,,,, after hearing about the guy actually going out of his way and his intentions to shoot anything that came by,,, I'd say he's a d1ck.
Under those circumstances, I'd be pizzed if he shot a Cat my Sally dog was running.

I mean, think about it... He shot a coyote so not the end of the world, but a cat can bring pretty decent money. So beyond just kinda mucking around with the dog guys ongoing hunt potentially he could have cost them money out of their pocket. I promise you if he had shot a cat he would have grabbed it up and hot footed it out of there. According to him he has never seen a bobcat and would love to have one mounted. Personally I feel it isn't a good idea to goof around with another guys hunting, job or wife. Especially his hunting!
smile.gif

Personally, I wouldn't shoot an animal that someone else's dogs are running, that's just me. But, if it were my dogs running a coyote on public land and some hunter shot it I wouldn't care. In fact, given the damage coyotes can cause and the difficulty in killing one I would be glad he did take it out. That's one bad predator positively gone that we might not have ever seen. I would be even happier if he hung out and met up with us and offered us the coyote, which would of course be the gentlemen thing to do.
Now if it was a bear or bobcat that would be different, but that is the chance you always take when hunting public land.

Originally Posted By: PeteyHe should have just watched the show and let them run on by. We run hounds and when they get on a coyote, we consider it is ours.
It not yours till its bagged

Wild animals are NOT the pursuers/hunters property until taken, they are state property.
On public lands and if it made it to me and open for a ethical shot, yes I would of taken it.
If it was on private property and came by and I was on the public side and had no hunting access to the other property it would get a pass as I don't trespass w/a bullet or in person.

I have had both friends and family who laid claim to all the coyotes in the county. I always offered that, "If I ever shoot one with their brand on it I'll bring it by and help you skin it."

tt2.gif

Originally Posted By: 5spdWild animals are NOT the pursuers/hunters property until taken, they are state property.
On public lands and if it made it to me and open for a ethical shot, yes I would of taken it.

Like I said,,, "the guy's d1ck".

It would p!ss me off if it were my dogs running the coyote... Kinda like [beeep] deer hunters putting their stand on the property fence line... It's legal but it is still a d!ck move...

As The Houndsman I would of appreciated if the Squirrel Hunter would of let things played out w/ the coyote. But I wouldn't of let it get me twisted if he didn't. Heck on Public Land your lucky he didn't shoot at you.........
scared.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back