Are we losing some long time members?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
Winner, winner, Chicken dinner!

Most of the guys that got themselves banned just couldn't understand this.

I took a little bit of a Hiatus early this year from here because how some of the "older" guys were treating the newbies and giving answers to questions by saying; "use the search function". It was just getting old, especially when it was the same guy every time.

And as far as this "wealth of knowledge" that some feel has been lost by these users being banned; I don't feel like anything has been lost at all. The ways that these guys were expressing their "wealth of knowledge" was in no way that I cared to read or to be a part of, and I feel like their banning was warranted.

Yep at times it was like a ruthless journeyman kicking around a green apprentice. No fun on the sidelines. Such treatment by strangers could go real bad in person.

Pm sent hedge hog. Friendly members like you and many others are the reason I take the time just about every day to be a part of this forum. Life's too short to complain and rag on folks, I just want to get out there and hunt while I can and maybe try to help some people out on the way

Interesting thread with some, shall we say, interesting replies. Many old timers have left for the same reason I don't post much or read much on here anymore. Every thing has become a rerun and not many "newbies" are interested in the sport enough to read all or at least in part, some of the old posts. Modern technology has reduced us down to "I want it and I want it now" and no, I'm not going to read through all those posts, who has time for that. Just tell me the answer now.

That is in part, part of the reason along with a couple of other things. I know that some could careless if I'm a member on here or not and to be real honest, me either. Times have changed I guess, but I and several other oldies haven't faired to well with the change.

I moved on to ice fishing after 40 years of frustration. Long drives to get to a few good areas, not much to show for it. It's not at all very productive when you have to compete against numerous deer seasons in the fall and winter. None of that with ice fishing. Iowa is a tough state to call coyotes, it isn't just me. Oh well, I don't miss it.

I think a lot of folks just have a lot going on. Between working and the to do lists time is something many folks don't have much of.

people like catshooter called b.s. when they saw it. there are many threads on this forum where people post b.s. when the people with the experience and facts to refute those b.s. claims are gone, this site becomes less useful.

i do not think it is so much the tiresome "what bullet is best for fur?" questions, but the statements, about annealing for example, that are not based in fact.

i always looked forward to catshooter's posts, he called a spade a spade. he has the knowledge and experience, and the patience to type the response. he helped a lot of people weed through the b.s.

i am not a "long time" member, but i find myself on this site less and less all the time.

If the folks that signed up are actually breaking TOS rules, then most likely they will be contacted by the Mod's here or so I presume. This will either give them an opportunity to change their ways or continue down the path that got them into trouble in the first place. My only hope is that it doesn't get so out of hand that it is like our current Obama Administration. Where the Politicians decide what the members want/need. But we all signed up under the same rules. As long as they are "enforced" equally then it's kind'a up to the member to walk the lines of TOS. JMO. I too think a lot of info disappeared with a few members. But we were not privy to the "behind the scene's communications". It is what it is I guess?

While I totally agree,rules are rules. Some I agree with, some I don't. Some members are gone because they didn't follow the rules, some are gone because they didn't like the rules or the enforcers. Some of the members only added humor with their off color comments while some were very knowledgeable and had lots of information gathered through years of experience. I still miss them and their post and their knowledge and sense of humor. I still come here day after day to read, ask questions and opinions, maybe give a little info I have learned. I have no reason to go elsewhere. But I do still miss some of the old guys.

While last year at the pm convention I had the chance to meet several of the mod's there. And there was not one of them that would not give you the shirt off of there backs if asked. I just wish more folks could meet some of these guys. I hope that I can share a couple stands with some of them sometime. See you in Tucson. P.s. I would not want the job anyone of them are doing for free.

Oh why not. The thread is already 4 pages long so one more post won't hurt. I've been a noob, we all have. I consider myself middle of the road in experience. I know enough to answer some new guy's question but also realize there is still something to learn by reading the responses to a newbie question.

There are a lot of variables at play for each individual on this forum. Some folks don't have much time to sit on the computer read through the threads returned on a search. Maybe they only have time to hop on the computer for 10 min on their lunch break at work. They can ask a question, check back on their thread and have their answers without spending 45 min wading through old posts on the search function. Maybe they didn't find the particular question they have, or at least they feel theirs is a bit different than the one answered. And yes, maybe some are lazy.

Bottom line, newbie questions are the nature of ANY forum. Spend time on a fishing forum, an AR forum, a bird watching forum and you will find it happens everywhere. Maybe a ROOKIE forum would allow a little separation from those that ask the questions and the few on here who are tired of seeing it and answering it.

For the record, I took a hiatus when I got tired of reading "Search function at the top of the page" as an answer.

Originally Posted By: K22Interesting thread with some, shall we say, interesting replies. Many old timers have left for the same reason I don't post much or read much on here anymore. Every thing has become a rerun and not many "newbies" are interested in the sport enough to read all or at least in part, some of the old posts. Modern technology has reduced us down to "I want it and I want it now" and no, I'm not going to read through all those posts, who has time for that. Just tell me the answer now.

That is in part, part of the reason along with a couple of other things. I know that some could careless if I'm a member on here or not and to be real honest, me either. Times have changed I guess, but I and several other oldies haven't faired to well with the change.

this.....I take great comfort in knowing others can write what I feel.

Last edited:

I'm not going to get into a tussle of "why" members are leaving since I don't know the reason in all cases. I know some, but can't speak for all. As to keeping this site alive, since the topic has somewhat shifted to that subject, I will give my two-cents worth.

I think what most everyone likes is a good post of success, combined with photos and with some details of how it all came about. It doesn't matter whether the guy posting is a newbie or a long time predator hunter. We can all learn something from someone, and sharing the successes daily with others is what keeps things interesting. I view this site daily, sometimes several times daily, looking through posts for topics of interest. Rarely do I ever go back more than three pages, if that. I keep looking for updated information, new stuff. I share my own experiences and I look for the experiences of others.

Members joining in and congratulating each other, sharing ideas, talking about this and that is what makes this site interesting. I very much dislike it when someone says to do a search, the information is already there. Doing a search is not a bad thing in and of itself, but rather bluntly being told gives the impression of "don't bother me, I don't have time for you." If that's the attitude we take, then we all should just stop posting instantly and just read previous posts. No, that's not what keeps a site going.

In truth, I'm not too good at doing searches. Seems all too often I don't find what I'm looking for, so I end up asking by opening a new post. If I have a question and can't find the answer in short order, I will ask. I won't spend hours searching for something I may or may not find.

I was a newbie once like everyone else. I'm glad that the majority of guys were willing to take the time to respond to my questions and offer help. No doubt some if not most of my questions had probably been answered numerous times somewhere along the way. Actually, I remember years ago asking if the 17 HMR was a sufficient coyote round. How about that. Why on Earth would I ask such a question? Simple answer. I was new to coyote hunting, had no experience with the cartridge, and had read many ads about the relatively new cartridge. I didn't know, so I asked. Most of us were taught to ask in school if we didn't know the answer to something. As I recall, no one "smarted off" to me, but several members gave me straight answers from their point of view, with tact and respect. It does seem that recently too many on the forums have lost, if they ever had, tact. How to talk to someone is important. It has always been important, but seems anymore too many don't understand that. Maybe that's why some members are leaving, I don't know. I do know that I have heard a member or two who left say they are tired of all the bickering, and tired of all the "know it alls."

I like the fellowship I get here with a lot of decent people. I have met a lot of good people on these forums and have hunted with several of them as a result. I very much dislike the arguments that seem to arise from time to time, and the attitudes of certain members who want to put others down, act sarcastic or sternly criticize others methods. I know stuff happens on the internet, but we all have to discipline ourselves and treat each other with respect and kindness.

I personally feel a bond with a lot of guys here. It has developed over time, through a lot of posts and discussions. That in my opinion is what keeps a site going.

It's not noob questions that bother me. It's the preponderance of noob answers. And if you try to interject a little hard fact, or long time real world experience, you only end up hated, or banned.

- DAA

I know there has been a couple threads in the last few months regarding said long time members either leaving or being forced to leave. I've read these more out of curiosity than any personal stake in the matter. I have no contact with those guys, or knowledge of any specific situations that led to banning etc..

Originally Posted By: DAAIt's not noob questions that bother me. It's the preponderance of noob answers. And if you try to interject a little hard fact, or long time real world experience, you only end up hated, or banned.
- DAA

I see that you are a long time member, and have read enough of your posts to see that you know what you're talking about.

But I have to ask, is the part of your quote I highlighted in red really what is going on here? Guys with years of experience giving helpful bits of information and receiving nothing but resentment back for it? That's generally not what I have observed and certainly not what I've done myself. Of course I'm sure it has happened, but as a casual observer I got the impression that most of the problems have been because the more experienced member wanted to be able to put others in their place, and question their intelligence rather than just disagree with an incorrect statement. Some guys seem to have a real hard time with anyone disagreeing with them, and want to be the only ones allowed to post an answer. That doesn't make for much of an interesting discussion forum IMO. All that said, I find some of the other hunting/firearm forums that are more loosely moderated entertaining, but that's not the type forum that the PM staff is trying to run here so....

Edit: Obviously there's quite a bit of behind-the-scenes activity involved with this issue, and things that have happened before I started visiting this site. I don't want to give the impression I'm taking a side, or to speak out of turn about anyone specific, as that was not my intent, so I edited this post.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: DAAIt's not noob questions that bother me. It's the preponderance of noob answers. And if you try to interject a little hard fact, or long time real world experience, you only end up hated, or banned.

- DAA

Exactly! And the way it has happened on here more times than I can count.

New or old poster, I treat everybody the same...
smile.gif

- DAA

Well Dave let's face it. Without naming any names here one person that is now gone had the tendency to be a bit, shall we say, abrasive at times. If anyone disagreed with anything he said he would most times let them have it in a not very pleasant way. There are lots of us here that like different things for different reasons. But if you didn't like the same rifles (or scopes, or ammo or whatever) that he did you were an dunderhead in his book. Said as much too. We don't need that. I don't anyway.

Besides, that's what I have a wife for. And most times it seems that she is right.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back