Technique questions?

Powerstroke99

I'll try to keep this short--I would appreciate advice regarding two things. I almost exclusively night hunt with lights in Texas, and mostly use an ecaller.

#1-- When using vocals, what do you do if a coyote shows while you are playing said vocals? In the past, I have immediately switched to vole squeaks and had them proceed directly to the caller. On 2 occassions recently, I have done this and the coyotes have decided they were no longer interested. One just left, and the other decided to continue into the caller when I went back to vocals (young female which surprised me). The reason I have changed to vole squeaks in the past is that I thought they might be curious, but not bold enough in most cases to come all the way to another coyote. Anyone have a recommendation or preferred technique.

#2-- When calling by myself, I normally sit in a small foldable chair with my rifle resting in shooting sticks and the butt of the rifle on my lap or at my shoulder. I have had a couple of hard chargers this season that would not stop, and ran directly to the ecaller and bolted. I know most will recommend always taking a shotgun as well, but I can't come up with a way to keep both guns at the ready and not have to lay one on the ground. And when laying one on the ground, changing from one to the other could take too long, be noisy and spook the coyote. My luck I will always have the wrong one ready! Again, any suggestions.

Thanks,
PS99

For issue #1, try pup distress to get them to come back. Pup distress 2 or 3 are good choices.

Issue #2: While it might be expensive,if you really want a single gun set up, try using a good quality dot sight on a 45 degree mount. I have a Burris FastFire II mounted on a Predator Tactical 45 degree mount. We use this set up in 3 gun matches, with a lot of run and gun and I have found it to be just as useful for coyotes. The FastFire II auto adjusts to different light conditions and is small and light.

If your hauling a shotgun keep it ready to shoot. If a coyote stops out of shotgun range you should have time to shoulder your rifle already sitting on sticks next to you

Back