Coyote contest rules

browne1168

I would like to hear some ideas on what contest rules that other contest hosts have thought of & set in place to deturn cheating. I am holding a 27 hour Coyote hunt in Jan.

All entraints should have a non caller as a referee that just watches them on the sets to insure pre shot dogs are not "picked" up.

Browne1168, we have been working on our rules since the early 90s and have been able to weed out most of the cheating. I say most because you will never be able to stop it all. We considered 5spd's idea but the fact is that takes a tremendous amount of volunteers that we just don't have. I'm getting ready to head to work so I'm short on time but this weekend I can get you a complete list and discuss a few others if you would like. I really feel like we have a a clean contest most of the time. In the mean time head to varminthunter.org and read their rules for their video contest, it eliminates all cheating as every kill must be clearly visible on camera for it to qualify.

I think the requirements of the qualifying pictures should be announced the morning of the contest.
Say like a fresh kill positioned in a manner only a flexible carcass will with the designated playing card on it and a time stamped pic.

Check out coyotehunter.net their tournament rules are used threw most of the tournament in the north/northwest. They also have years and years of trapping and know what trapped dogs look like. Core temps and each coyote is blocked with date and time in specific order. Plus much more

I entered a hunt three or four years ago with a buddy. Kill blocks and temp was used on all the coyotes, but one thing that was said really stuck with me.... During the rules announcement. The host stated. " the coyote community is a very small one. Word gets around quick, the prize money won in this contest would never be worth the shame on your name if you were caught cheating !" I guess if your a low life to start with , it wouldn't matter. On the flip side, my hunting partner is very big into the social media with coyote hunting. He has had people contact him a few times asking him to save coyotes for them to pool. He had never met these guys in person. We also entered a small contest two years ago and a team turned in two cats that were froze harder than a rock! Blew my mind! I always felt the kill blocks and temp diverted cheats, but maybe it's because I didn't really know what they were checking for on them. Kind of a mystery?
I was in another Kansas contest where they would take the winning teams, separate them and ask them questions about the hunt. Their answers should match. " who shot the second coyote ?" " which way was he facing?" "What number stand did the first one come from?" So on.... If the answers don't match, might need some further investigation. The prize money was not handed out that day. The trapper that took all the coyotes would look them over while skinning them. If he found signs of trapping or snares. They were thrown out. If you legally shot a dog that had gotten out of a trap, bad luck for you. It was thrown out ! The host of the contest had 100% final say and I felt like kept good control. He threatened to kick you out if he saw a dog hair on your jacket cause dogs were not allowed. The fact that he had good control made me feel better about the contest.

only thing about seperating the team members and asking questions is when my partner and i call we usally can't see each other (i.e watching the downwind on the backside of the hill) and have a different view of the land or coyotes coming in, our answers my not match because he can see things i cant and vise-versa. just my thoughts

Thank you for the replies guys you have some great ideas Okbrent & dogdown I sent you a PM . Anymore keep them coming our contest is a few weeks out . I'm trying to log on & reg on coyotehunter.net to look at those rules but its liking my registration for some reason.

Kill early check in. I understand that there might be people who want to get on the road, but it can also be abused to allow a half an extra day of hunting. Check in is check in, shotgun start. Give everyone the same fighting chance.

Carterville Illinois . Flyers were mailed out to shooters in Cape if your interested. Or Facebook page southern Illinois predator challenge.

Just do the best you can to cover the bases. Some individuals will try to cheat no matter what when prize money is on the line. Just try to be very upfront with all rules expectations and if it looks to good to be true, most of the time it is...

Back