Moving to Kansas for Internship

sconnyguy

Hey ya'll ill be moving down to Lawrence Kansas for a 6 month internship and i was hoping to do some hunting in my spare time. Here in Wisconsin where i go to school there is tons of public land to coyote/fox hunt. I noticed there is not much for public land there in Kansas. Where would a guy go to find some land to hunt. Would be willing to work in trade to coyote hunt.

Try to find farmers/ranchers with cattle. Ask them if they have a coyote problem and that you call coyotes/predators. Telling them that you call them is important. There are some coyote hunters that drive trucks around with CB radios and tear a lot of crap up. Let them know you will be walking in, set up and call for 30-45 min or so... if nothing shows up, you're out of there. That way they know you're not out there tearin their pasture/fields up.

Very good advice from RobinHood21. I lived in Lawrence for about a year and got out of there. There isn't much of a hunting crowd since the city is chalk full of hippys & liberals. It is the one place in Kansas that really does not fit in with the rest of Kansas. There are some agricultural areas to the North & South of Lawrence but not much East or West I know of since it is sandwiched between Topeka and the outer suburbs of KC 20 miles or so either way.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: nyttrain5150Very good advice from RobinHood21. I lived in Lawrence for about a year and got out of there. There isn't much of a hunting crowd since the city is chalk full of hippys & liberals. It is the one place in Kansas that really does not fit in with the rest of Kansas. There are some agricultural areas to the North & South of Lawrence but not much East or West I know of since it is sandwiched between Topeka and the outer suburbs of KC 20 miles or so either way.

Ha! So true! Lawrence is like the Austin of Texas. Not exactly my cup of tea but I'm sure you can find some land if you put a little effort into it

Kansas Dept. of Wildlife, Parks & Tourism has a program called "Walk-In Hunting Access".
Basically, the state leases private lands (of various sizes), for public hunting usage.
Us lifetime Kansans just call it WIHA.

Anyway, you can either go to this link: http://kdwpt.state.ks.us/KDWPT-Info/Locations/Hunting-Fishing-Atlas/Fall-Hunting-Atlas , and print off the area you want.....
OR....just stop into the sporting goods dept of any Kansas Walmart, and pick up a free copy of the entire WIHA atlas & also a copy of the Ks Hunting Regs pamphlet.

I had some permission on some ground approx 5 or 6,000 acres North of Lawrence 10 years ago or so. Up around McClouth. Try around there they are real friendly to "our" kind. Good luck.

Lawrence sucks. Lived there for a year and a half during the week while working there. We are not the norm there. There are some good things about it, really nice scenery during the college school year and close to cabelas. But a town full weird people. But I did get to know a farmer by Baldwin who had ground to hunt.

Back