Apocalypse Not Now

Thats a cool looking cat...I like..
thumbup1.gif

Darn! Had hoped for a really exciting storythat you were holding out on us.
lol.gif

You never know about cats. Lots of them sneak in but have had two or three that blow in like a blue norther when the barbed wire fence is down in Dalhart.

Last year was sitting on an outside border fence w/call & mojo about 30 yards away. I was between the fence and a caliche road, with the call across the road. Started the call and almost immediately heard a noise just across the fence and slightly behind me which turned out to be a large cat haulin' freight toward the call. He came through the fence 15 yards from me and made a beeline for the mojo; just before he reached the far side of the road he slammed on the brakes and ran back across fence just as fast as he came in. He actually left skid marks in the caliche when he changed his mind. Cats are off limits in that particular pasture and I didn't even have time to get camera out. About 3-4 minutes later he came back through the fence about 50 yards out and crept back to the road, stopped and looked at the decoy, then walked back through the fence. I think he might have found some peyote somewhere.

Didn't catch the cat on film, but had the camera out a few minutes later when this sable stepped out and circled the critter trying to figure out what it was.

Regards,
hm

Originally Posted By: hm1996Darn! Had hoped for a really exciting storythat you were holding out on us.
lol.gif

You never know about cats. Lots of them sneak in but have had two or three that blow in like a blue norther when the barbed wire fence is down in Dalhart.

Last year was sitting on an outside border fence w/call & mojo about 30 yards away. I was between the fence and a caliche road, with the call across the road. Started the call and almost immediately heard a noise just across the fence and slightly behind me which turned out to be a large cat haulin' freight toward the call. He came through the fence 15 yards from me and made a beeline for the mojo; just before he reached the far side of the road he slammed on the brakes and ran back across fence just as fast as he came in. He actually left skid marks in the caliche when he changed his mind. Cats are off limits in that particular pasture and I didn't even have time to get camera out. About 3-4 minutes later he came back through the fence about 50 yards out and crept back to the road, stopped and looked at the decoy, then walked back through the fence. I think he might have found some peyote somewhere.

Didn't catch the cat on film, but had the camera out a few minutes later when this sable stepped out and circled the critter trying to figure out what it was.

Regards,
hm

Never knew you could cross breed red angus cattle with a horse
scared.gif

Very nice story and great pictures. Fine looking cat too. Have you ever tried the 60 vmax? I have had great luck with them on coyotes and bobcats. More times than not no pass through and little holes going in which is nice for the cats.

Originally Posted By: LeadbellyOriginally Posted By: hm1996Darn! Had hoped for a really exciting storythat you were holding out on us.
lol.gif

Regards,
hm

Never knew you could cross breed red angus cattle with a horse
scared.gif

I think that's a Brahman and donkey offspring;)

Clarence,
I would love to see animals like that come in and investigate my stands... You are lucky to get to hunt a place like that...

Thanks everyone else...

Originally Posted By: YellowhammerVery nice story and great pictures. Fine looking cat too. Have you ever tried the 60 vmax? I have had great luck with them on coyotes and bobcats. More times than not no pass through and little holes going in which is nice for the cats.

Actually I just started using Black Hills 60gr V-max... This cat was the first thing I shot with them. I have been hunting with that AR since April and I have killed 2 other cats with it, both with 75 grn BTHP. They were both pass troughs with little pelt damage. I have had very mixed results with it on coyotes. Since using it I have had a lot more spinners and run offs after hits… I get frustrated with it and fall back to my bolt gun from time to time. I hope these black hills 60 grn v-maxs do better… I fully understand that shot placement is key...

Back