Duke Traps

I am new to trapping, just getting started this season. I recently bought a dozen duke #2's coil spring. The other day I was talking to an experienced trapper, and he told me that I would have to file the trap down, because they are curved, and if a coyote comes in too quickly they will not go off. If anyone can elaborate on this it would be greatly appreciated.

Dukes need a lot of work out of the box, I am not sure what he is referring to but the jaws are rather sharp and you may have to take the edge off but just go light. The pans usually have to be adjusted properly and you will need to put a proper chain and multiple swivels on it. Look up some videos on trap prep from the pros and a good trapping book will help.

Just curious is this your first time trapping and are you targeting yotes? If so you may want to try a few other critters first and learn the basics of trapping especially trap beading because yotes can be a hard one to trap. Look up Mark June he has several books and DVD'S ON YOTE TRAPPING AND IN MY HUMBLE OPINION IS ONE OF THE BEST. Sorry did not mean to hit the caps button and I am to lazy to fix it.

Yes this is my first time trapping ever. Will be targeting coyotes mainly, but may try coons too if the weather stays right. Thanks for the help.
Draque

There is a few videos on you tube on duke trap prep I still don't know why duke traps get a bad rap all traps need some prep when new or for your style or likeing good like hope you get some fur in your steel

Originally Posted By: pokeyjeeperThere is a few videos on you tube on duke trap prep I still don't know why duke traps get a bad rap all traps need some prep when new or for your style or likeing good like hope you get some fur in your steel

I agree with the you tube videos and agree that most traps need some tweaking out of the box but one that for me never has is the MB 450 and MB 550 from Minnesota Trapline Products, these traps come out of the box ready to rock and roll except for dying and waxing but all traps need that.

Duke #4 traps are a very good coyote and cat trap. There is a guy on utube that uses them and catches alot of fur. The only modes he does is nite latch them and put bigger pan bolts in them.

The mod your friend is talking about is filing the sides of the pan away so the levers don't catch the edge of the pan. Step on both levers and fully open the trap, push the pan all the way down, and slowly let the levers rise. You'll see that they catch the pan and keep the levers from rising. You have to remove nearly a quarter inch from the sides of the pan to prevent it. Personally, I don't think it would ever happen in a live situation but the possibility exists.
As for mods I believe the dukes need to make a quality coyote trap= Replace the cheap chain and swivels. The pan bolt hole is oval and causes a little slop, drill it out and install larger pan bolts available from supply houses. File all sharp edges from jaws. If not offset, install jaw lams. Baseplates are a plus also.

like a previous post i spent the money and got the MB-650's....dip and go...the days of spending hours just to get a cheap trap usable are long gone. And personally IMO they are so good i dont even use a pan cover...dig,anchor,bed,sift and im outta there

Last edited:
i like dukes. good traps with some adjusting. i have from first of march until the 15th of November to get them tune in. i have a lot of bridger #2's i have modified and laminated and really like that traps. i have some mb 650. they are good traps. just hard to set in my opinion. they are all good traps just depends on how much you want to spend. with the right adjustments any trap will catch fur.thanks

#4s are awsome I've miked the frames and there dang near the same thickness as a bridger there's a guy on YouTube that catches a lot of stuff in them youtube name is huntinglonewolf

I have a bunch of 650s for sale here soon worst trap in a dirt hole I've used over priced super heavy I'll never set another one again. I'll take a duke or a Bridger over a 650 any day

Pokeyjeeper, Duke get a bad rap due to several things. The pan screw is too small, so there is slop in the pan. They have the weakest springs in the industry, so they are slow. The chains tie to the end of the frame, making the frame more likely to bend, when an animal gets in them. Import chain and cheap swivels. Other than that, the trap needs the same modification as any other.

Back