zeiss or vortex?

I made the best deal I could on a Zeiss HD5 5-25x50mm, mounted it up on my 22-250 last night, rough sighted it in today just at 50-60 yards and using a box of factory stuff. Can't wait to take it out to 200 or 300 yards and see what it can do with my handloads. Picture is amazing, and the Z-Plex reticle is going to work perfectly for me - for load dev/targeting work, for long distance sniping on small targets, and night hunting predators too. Now if I could just find the powder I need to try to work up a good reduced load.

I wouldnt buy a Zeiss Terra, Id go Viper. Now if you said Zeiss Conquest HD5...thats a nice scope. I really like my Conquest scopes....the glass is so clear and the price is affordable, not out of this world like S&B or Swarovski Z6's

The new Zeiss HD 5 is AMAZING to say the least. Considerably better than the original Conquest. To me, the original Conquest was not that great. The new HD 5 is in my opinion the best scope one can find new for under a 1K. The new turret system that won't spin on you and the zero stop make it a must. Must have! You won't regret it. I'm an optics junkie, spotters, binos, scope, digi, etc..... Best bang for the buck. Never have been nor will I be a Vortex guy. All the hype the last few years and so many try to convince themselves that the Vortex line is so great......all hype. I have yet to see a Vortex compare to a Swaro, Kowa, Zeiss or Lieca, no matter which Vortex. The glass may be ok at best, the the bodies are cheap. Go with the Zeiss and sorry for getting off topic.

sounds like a sales pitch to me...but on the other hand the ziess 2-10x HD5 i looked thru had bad curveture on the edges of the lens. wasnt real noticable just looking thru it, but when i scanned across the store with it i about got sea sick seeing the image wrap at the edges of the glass...weird looking to me but i also wear glasses. maybe that had something to do with it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: fredhorace77sounds like a sales pitch to me...but on the other hand the ziess 2-10x HD5 i looked thru had bad curveture on the edges of the lens. wasnt real noticable just looking thru it, but when i scanned across the store with it i about got sea sick seeing the image wrap at the edges of the glass...weird looking to me but i also wear glasses. maybe that had something to do with it. Originally Posted By: fredhorace77sounds like a sales pitch to me...but on the other hand the ziess 2-10x HD5 i looked thru had bad curveture on the edges of the lens. wasnt real noticable just looking thru it, but when i scanned across the store with it i about got sea sick seeing the image wrap at the edges of the glass...weird looking to me but i also wear glasses. maybe that had something to do with it.

Wrap at the edges of the glass? I don't know of any Zeiss, Leica or Kowa that has the rolling ball effect as they call it. The only high-end optic that I have ever seen that had the rolling ball affect was the Swarovski EL's when they first came out. That problem has since been fixed. Don't get caught up in comparing a $1000 scope to say a Schmidt and bender. Obviously one is going to look a little better than the other. No sales pitch from me. I just think that price versus price there are considerably better optics then the Vortex including Sightron Siii SS.

I have a conquest 4.5x14x50 and just received my vortex viper 4-16x44 from midway today. After a side by side comparison there is only 1 true winner and it is hands down the Zeiss. The vortex is clear up to about 10x but past that point gets a little dim and blurry. The zeiss is clear no matter what power and the FOV on the zeiss is a lot better as well. I got both scopes on sale and paid around $550 for the zeiss a year ago and just got the vortex for $320 so I am not unhappy with the vortex just more impressed with the zeiss.

Back