40 grain bullet loads for .22-250

Rustydust

Hey Guys

I am thinking of a ground squirrel load for my .22-250 Rem. When out in the field I most often use something a bit smaller such as a .223, a .204 or my .17 Remington. But, I got this thing on a trade and want to play with it some on our local whistlepig population. You know- just because.

And I have a couple of thousand 40 grain .224 bullets on hand of different make and figured that I may as well shoot some of them up but want to shoot them up making pieces of fur and guts fly at the same time.

So those of you that have had some good luck with the 40 grain bullets I would like to know what worked best for you. Yes, I know all the data online but I want personal loads from some of you. Don't need to be max loads, just accurate ones.

Got weeks yet before winter even starts. Got plenty of reloading to do so may as well try some new loads while I am at it.

In my 250 35 grains Of Varget with a 40 gr Vmax proved to be the most accurate load I've ever found in any rifle. I don't use it much because I didn't like the wind drift I was getting with the 40s.

I have been playing around with the Seirra 40 gr blitzking and 38 gr of XBR 8208 and it has been super fast and extremely accurate in my 22-250. I shot two coyotes last week with it and both were bang flops with tiny entrance hole and no exits. I know it is a small sample but pretty impressed so far.

I ran 38 grains of Varget in mine behind the 40g Nosler. 3920 fps out of a 22 inch pipe. Very accurate and nice on g-hogs..

Jason

40 gr Nosler Ballistic Tip with 33.3 gr IMR 3031 with CCI 200 primer and Winchester brass is what I shoot. It's a good load that has shot well out of 3 different rifles for me.

imagejpg1_zps52b70344.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the ideas, Guys. I happen to have powder sitting on my shelf so that I can try all those loads. I bet that I will find something that I will like.

Hey Hippie- that is a load that my .220 Swift also likes. Very mild but a real tack driver. I use the same powder charge with 50 and 55 grain bullet too. All work really well.

savage mod 10 pred 12 twist likes 40gr nosler bt w/imr8208xbr. rem 700 action custom douglas barrel 14 twist likes 40gr vmax with h4895 and w760. Other rem 700's like 40gr nosler bt w/h380.

That's funny Rusty, I've only tried two bullets but that same charge shots 50gr. Noslers equally well. What speeds are you getting out of your swift?

I shoot the 40 grain Nosler Ballistic Tips behind 36.5 grains of Varget out of my 22-250. It has proved to be the most accurate load I've tried yet. I have not run them through a chrono, so I have no idea what speeds I'm getting, but these rounds are devastating on rock chucks and jack rabbits, and badgers!

39.5 grains of Varget with a 40 grain VMax shoots extremely well out my Ruger Predator 22-250. This load shows no sign of high pressure and chronographed in the 4000 fps range. It is the flattest shooting load I've ever had in any caliber.

Thanks for all the loads to try, guys! I have several to try so I will start loading some up and see how they will do. Squirrel season over three months away but sure would like to try some on prairie dogs come June just to see how they will do.

Hey Rusty! If you have some Accurate 2015 on the shelf, try about 35 grains under the 40gr V-Max. I have two 22-250s that love that load.

Originally Posted By: dan brothersRusty... I believe those squirrels hate to see you coming...

Well, they should be pretty used to me by now. And by jingo if they didn't want me to shoot them then they should stay in their holes. Right? Right?

I don't live where there are prairie dogs. I can be with a half a days drive but I got squirrels 10 miles from me so that's what I do come springtime. And besides, ground squirrels are rather like prairie dogs just smaller and harder to hit. Also it's good practice- keeps your eye sharp. And I like to shoot them with different guns too. Taken them with a 2" snubby revolver to a .458 Win mag. .22 rimfires and .223 rifles make 90% of my shooting with the other 10% being my .17 calibers and my .204 Ruger.

But this year I want to take a few hundred with that 22-250. Might as well. Aint wore the barrel out on it yet.
smile.gif

I'm handicapped by the 1-14" twist that my factory Model 70 coyote light rifle has, and my go-to load for 40gr BT's is 38.5gr of Varget powder. Very accurate load in my rifle. Hopefully get a coyote with it this weekend.

Back