First Gray

pmack

I set up  north side of thicket and let my son hang the caller 50 yards south on fence along tractor path. He crosses ditch and continued to rise in next field so he can watch to the south and cover west side of thicket. He's positioned west side of path about 2 o'clock from me 200 yards away but in easy sight. Five minutes in I have eyes across ditch in small filed I forgot was there before thicket starts at about 11 o'clock on east side of path. The eyes and Cory look like they're next to each other but he just keeps scanning and the eyes just stare at me. I text him to look to the east but he can't see the eyes. Next text I tell him to lip squeak. I mute the caller and eyes disappear as I hear lip squeaks. After a few minutes he continues to scan field and never saw eyes. I thing the gig is over until the 223 rings. Nice easy forty yard shot as the gray came to edge of thicket, his first one ever.     

Sweet. I still haven't called in or shot a grey. Don't know what the deal is. I know they are around. Maybe the yotes eat them all around here 😃

I have called in 2 grays in 10 yrs and got both of them. Don't see alot but the ones I got came in hard. My guess is the yotes are taking over around these parts. I have never called in a red fox either..............congrats on the kill...............

I see quite a few foxes both reds and grays."They" say you won't call in fox where coyotes are but I shot a gray in the same field where I killed a coyote 5 days earlier. I got a red last night in a nice little spot were I found fox and coyote tracks last week. I see probably twice as many foxes as coyotes.

So far this year....

Shot coyote and missed 2 reds in one field

Shot coyote, a red and missed another coyote in another spot.

Missed a coyote, missed a gray, passed on a red (to close to house) killed a gray in another field

All this within 3 miles of Lake Ontario.

When I travel 70 miles to the "Southern Tier" I've never seen a red or a gray, only opportunities have been coyotes.

Only difference is I put a lot more time into my close to home areas near the lake. They seem to coexist there, not sure what's up when I go down south.

I do a lot of missing when I look at it that way......dam.

Last edited:
"I do a lot of missing when I look at it that way...…dam."
Don't feel like the lone ranger on that,we all do!
Most of my hunting is within 10 miles of Lake Ontario also.

Back