Beginner's kit?

AzDiamondHeat

I need help putting together some skinning/fur prep tools. Up until now I have been using a table and a paint scraper. I guess not so much a "beginner's" kit, but a "basics" kit. I want the tools necessary to do things right.

I only do them for myself and friends(I tan them as well), but just the few a year I do are so aggravating I want to make it easier.

So what does a person need to prep fur properly? I just want to buy it all at once so I can get started on it. I don't want to build anything as I don't have the time.

Skinning knife good sharp of small size fleshing knife, fleshing beam, tail stripper can use two sticks chunks of broom handle but they about 3 dollors to buy and tail zipper which is also fairly cheap or you can buy carpet blades for a utility knife I have about 40 dollors in my stuff and an on the same scale as you just a few hides for my self and friends.

Good luck,
Scott

I think I asked the wrong question.

I already have my skinning tools. I am looking for hide prep tools. Also, would like specific suggestions, i.e. brand,size, etc or whatever details you can give. I want to get everything I need at once.

Thanks guys.

Well it goes like this after the bodies off the animal .......
It really depends on what animal it is , meaning that a fleshing board for a coyote isn't going to fit a small sized coon etc. And as far as fleshing knives they range from neckers which run about 60 dollors or so and go up from there. I just bought the entry level really no name fleshing knife for 20 bucks you can check into prices from one of the sponcers and I'm sure if you won u pd give them a call they would for sure point you in the right direction .

I'm not try to put you off or seem pissy it's just hard to pick things for others when not for sure what's happening . So if your like me k.I.s.s. (keep it simple stupid) is what my wife tells me.
I'd spend a few dollors but no need to have the best of everything for just a few hides a year.
Hope I didn't come off wrong .

Good luck in the fur prepping . Also consider a fur comb 10dollors or take the wife's hair brush free and almost priceless lol

Scott

I know, it's like asking "hey, pick the best coyote gun for me". The problem is I don't know anything about this and don't have anyone around I can learn from. Wish I did.

Money is not an issue, but I too see no need to get "the best" when I simply wouldn't know the difference. I hate cheap stuff as it usually is more work than the money it saves. I like "value". If it is "good enough" that is usually what I buy. If "the best" really is what is need, I have no problem spending money. I don't need all the bells and whistles(eyeball pickers or whatever else there may be), just the basics. What kind of board, scrapers(fleshing knife I guess it is called?) and whatever else. Stretchers? I really have no idea.

I only do coyote and fox. Might do a cat but I usually give those to my taxidermist.

right now I just skin them, scrape all the fat off on a fold-able table, salt them and then tan them. Just looking for help to learn to do it "right" (and easier).

Take a look at www.fntpost.com they carry all that you probably need and their stuff is quality I have ordered a flesher and necker tool from them and they work great, as far as stretching boards or fleshing beams you can easily make these yourself. You can probably find the dimensions online somewhere I don't remember them off the top of my head, I made a fleshing beam out of a 2x6 and angled and round the the edges I use it for all my capes and hides in my taxidermy shop.

Any of the large trapping catalogs (Minnesota Trapline products is my favorite) will also have DVD's on fur handling. You will learn tons from these videos and it is almost like having them in the room with you. You will get so much more money by doing it right and what you learn you will have paid for the DVD in just a couple of hides done correctly.

Also look up your states Trapper Association and ask for help, you may be pleasantly surprised by the response you get.

Back