Made a decent shot

wolftrapper

[img:center][/img]

Here's one that I downed this morning. This is right where he dropped.

I had hiked out a mile or so, and made two stands along the way. Then, on the way back, about 300 yards from the rig, I decided to try something different, so I set up, and played squirrel distress....yep, in a stubble field! This guy charged up, and stalled on the next ridge. He gave me time, and I took the facing shot, hitting him perfectly. I paced it at 225 paces.

I'm happy with that!

Squirrel distress in a stubble field;) that is good shooting in my book as well
thumbup1.gif

do you think he wasnt interested in the first sound or just showed up around the time you did.
Either way its a successful day.

I had the .222 that day.

I don't think he heard me on my first two stands, or maybe he just didn't want to go there. He was a young male, and had lots of scars...some fairly fresh....from other coyotes. I have a feeling coyotes like that probably avoid areas with dominate coyotes, that kick their butts every time they show up. It might explain how you can move a fairly short distance, and call one right in, that didn't show up on the first stand.

Also, I used the squirrel distress because I was near the farmhouse, where there are trees and squirrels. With the last snowfall, I saw where coyotes had entered the back yard there, through the open chain link gate. I figured they were after cats, squirrel, or the chihuahua. I went with squirrel! So maybe it was both the call, and the location.

I have a three day road trip planned for next week, and will be carrying the .22 hornet. I will be hunting areas where a bobcat might show, so don't want to risk ruining one with the .222. I will admit that the .222 is more suited to this open country hunting, and I have a lot of confidence in it with shots over 200. Hopefully the weather will be as forcast....a little snow would put the icing on the cake.

Sounds like you are taking in all the info available and saved him from any more scars.
Cats are a big bonus and make good pics in a post.

Back