AR build... thinking 6.5 Grendel

I've used a lot of 180 gr BT's on deer in my 30-06. I'm sure BT's in the grendel would work fine, there are 100, 120 and 140 gr versions. Just guessing as I haven't looked into it, I'm thinking I'd likely try the 120's for deer & pigs.

As it is I'm working with the 123gr Hornady, a very similar bullet & well known for use on game. Now if I can just find a place to hunt I can do some field testing...

I would avoid the Grendel II chambering from what I have seen.

Your budget for a barrel could get you into a Lilja, they keep them in stock. Or lots of people here are happy with SD's rifles if you wanted to have an upper built for you.

As for bolts Give AA or Maxim a call, they likely have them ready to go.

ASC is largely the main maker of mags, E-Lander is now making 25 rounders sold by AA which are supposed to be quite good.

If you are patient and give me a few more weeks, I can report back with how my build turned out.

Thanks for the info guys very helpful stuff. As always I appreciate every bit of it.
Thanks Shoes, I'll look into all that. I have looked at Lilja and they make really nice barrels, but Black Hole makes some good stuff too I'll just have to do some more research on them and try to decide. I can definitely wait and see how yours turns out and I hope everything has gone smooth this far.

So far, I've only had to deal with one company I had not previously, Lilja. I called them up and had nice chat with the gal there and had the barrel in my hands 3 or 4 business days later. So, they were very good to work with by my account, from what I've seen the barrel should perform accordingly. If you have not and are still pretty sure you are sticking with the grendel, you might check out the 65grendel forums. The folks there did a group buy on Lilja barrels and there are some reviews, pics and such floating around.

I also recommend lilja, my barrel from them shoots great and they normally stock them so there is no lead time. They're known for quality, can't go wrong. Mr Lilja himself shoots a Grendel and is active on 65grendel forum.

I had a black hole weaponry barrel on my AR that I was not impressed with. It shot okay but I got much more accuracy with my new Rainier barrel. If you're on a tight budget I'd consider them, otherwise I'd look elsewhere.

I have Lilja and BHW and I am pleased with both. I can get a bit tighter groups with the Lilja but the BHW is a consistent .75 moa gun. You can figure another $75-80 for a bolt for either one. I can also say the Shilen drop in w/bolt is an excellent shooter

Thanks again, guys. I still haven't figured out which direction I want to go. I think for a barrel it will be Lilja and if I go that route I can't do the 6x6.8, which is a very appealing round to me. Although I don't think I could go wrong with the Grendel either... decisions decisions. Time will tell and after I get these guns sold and figure out what my price range will be, I will be able to gauge some of this stuff better. I'm thinking I will be in the $1500 range, which should build me a decent rifle. Also, some recommendations on bolt carriers would be appreciated. Thanks fellas

Back