Apocalypse Not Now

Infidel 762

Staff member
“Big Duke Six to Eagle Thrust. Put on PSY-War-OP. Make it loud. This is a Romeo Foxtrot. Shall we dance?”

Redux;

He came in low out of the rising sun… from about a half mile out I put on the music… I use Bay Bee cottontail… the coyotes love it… it scares the [beeep] outta the slopes…

I love the smell of coyote p!ss in the morning…

Here is a mid-day setup that produced only a view… I will count it as productive… at one time the river flowed thru the valley below;

There is still water underground… I made my final stand on dry ground above that water… it holds a coyote track that stares up at the sun… coyote placed it there ahead of the next rain, coming winds and old man time… it is proven that those 3 elements always prevail, yet co-exist with one another in repetitious patterns…

Absent of rain and little wind, I had plenty of time for my final stand of the day… I made a conscience decision to kill another coyote or sit till dark trying… besides it is not like I had some place better to be… All I did was a couple lone howls then sat in silence for over 25 minutes… I waited for the sun to set, thinking the lower light conditions of the last half of the golden hour could give them the extra confidence to come in to the call… I broadcasted Bay Bee cottontail and it was less than a minute into the first series that I had 2 coming in… they were pretty much already there… they were only 70 or 80 yards when I first saw them… I hit mute and went to get the lead coyote in the scope… without the sound she would take a few steps, stop and look around… take a few more steps then stop and look around… I sent a 40 grain V-max that splashed on her right front shoulder… she turned into a spinner as I sent another V-max her way that connected with a sound not unlike thumping a watermelon… she still staggered off into the thickets before I could send a 3rd V-max… I went down and found her a few yards from where I saw her last…

Fast forward to yesterday… I got my BATF tax stamp….

Verified my zero, then found myself in the Cheyenne Valley…

Found myself… in the valley where the rain washes away the blood… if there is magic on this planet, it is contained in the water…

Thinking of coyotes I wanted a first kill with my suppressor… but it was the cat that came in, even after lone howls…

I still love the smell of coyote p!ss in the morning....

Great write up as usual! Man I hate saying that but it's absolutely the truth. I love reading your stuff! Congrats on the can, someday maybe I'll step into that realm. And I'm envious on the cat, still have yet to call one in. It's a beauty and definitely a wall hanger or mount if I ever have seen one

Last edited:
Infidel, love that blood dripping off the scope, and nice write up
thumbup1.gif

Love your writing style. I must admit that I too love the smell of coyote piss in the morning. Love smelling my gloves after carrying one out.

That shot to [beeep] coyote in the story is exactly why I won't shoot Vmax bullets . HP's very seldom splash............Just my opinion .

Another great write-up, and that is one very well spotted cat!

Now, tell us the truth, Jeremy, how did you really get that blood on your rifle? Was it the cat or the coyote that charged you and you had to resort to hand-hand combat to fend it off?
wink.gif

Regards,
hm

Originally Posted By: JCThat shot to [beeep] coyote in the story is exactly why I won't shoot Vmax bullets . HP's very seldom splash............Just my opinion .

I know... Coyotes I am not to concerned with but they do mess up cats... I don't think I have ever had a HP splash, almost all pass thru..

Nice post. I enjoyed reading it. Nice job on the cat. I too have had em come in when playing coyote vocals??? Normally big toms. I guess they figure they can wade thru the coyotes and take whatever it is they have.

Originally Posted By: hm1996Another great write-up, and that is one very well spotted cat!

Now, tell us the truth, Jeremy, how did you really get that blood on your rifle? Was it the cat or the coyote that charged you and you had to resort to hand-hand combat to fend it off?
wink.gif

Regards,
hm

I did not want to drag the cat... Carried him over half a mile and he was bleeding bad from a straight on heart shot... There was no hand to hand combat or anything special to write about the stand
unsure.gif
I just called looked over and he was sitting there looking in my direction... I shot and he tipped over..
crazy.gif
oh yeah... He came in the first few minutes of the stand
tongue.gif

Originally Posted By: btech29Nice post. I enjoyed reading it. Nice job on the cat. I too have had em come in when playing coyote vocals??? Normally big toms. I guess they figure they can wade thru the coyotes and take whatever it is they have.

I have had bigger Toms come in to pup screams and distress...

Back