Leupold vs Bushnell riflescope comparison - help please

Guinness

Merry Christmas!  I have a scope comparison question(s) for you all.  I am shopping for a new riflescope and have narrowed my decision down to two options.  I'm interested in hearing anyones thoughts and/or experiences that might tip me toward one of the models on my short list.  The two scopes I'm interested in are the Bushnell 3-12x44 LRHS and the Leupold VX-6 3-18x44. I've done a lot of research and I'm pretty convinced I want one of these two scopes as they fit my budget and their advertised performance parameters meet my requirements.  However, I don't have enough real world experience and can't get my hands on either model where I live so thats where I want lean on all of your experience and knowledge.

I will be putting the scope on a 7mm RM with the intention of shooting to 750 yards for practice and in the field, give or take.  Here are my main thoughts/questions:

Leupold does not provide a reticle with wind holdoffs (from the factory anyway) for the VX-6 and thats disappointing.  However, I found a TMOA and TMOA2 reticle the 4-24 and 7-42 VX-6 Target scopes.  I imagine these could be installed by Leupold but are these reticle options too fine?Would these reticles be a good choice for hunting with respect to lowlight performance, getting washed out in bright light, etc?  How much does it cost for a reticle conversion with shipping and everything taken into account?

How many MOA does the CDS turret on the VX-6 provide?  As I understand it the CDS turret only allows one revolution so what range will this provide with an "average" 7mmRM load?

I know the Bushnell is mils and the Leupold is MOA but I'm familiar enough with both systems such that this is not a deciding factor.  

I've read a lot about the image quality of the Leupold VX-6 scopes but how does the Bushnell LRHS stack up?  

How about accuracy of Bushnell turrets?  I like the reticle, holdoffs, etc. on the Bushnell (although the donut may take some getting used to) and I've dealt with FFP scopes enough to be familar with that feature too.

How about warranty and service?  I know Leupold is generally considered the standard bearer in this arena but how does Bushnell compare?

What have I missed?  Please point me down the "right" bunny trail...if thats possible!  I am interested in any and all input anyone is willing to provide.  Thank you.

G

I currently don't have a VX6, but I have other Leupolds and I will be buying more Leupolds in the near future. I do have a strong interest in at least one VX6 down the line for my 30-06.

The Leupold is only limited to one revolution if you have the zero stop set on it. I inquired a few months back to their custom shop to see if they could put the TMOA in the 3-18 and at that time they said no. Also keep in mind Bushnell is going to be releasing a 4.5-18 version of the LRHS sometime next year.

Another option to consider is a SWFA 3-15. It splits the difference in magnification range betweeen the two, is FFP like the LRHS and doesn't have the donut in the center of the reticle.

I've never seen a good bushnell scope, purely in the budget/cheapies.. I hear some of their high price stuff is decent, just never come across it in real life.

I like my Bushnell 6500 a lot, but it doesn't compare to the vx 6s I've looked through. And that's coming from an anything but leupold guy. The vx6 was very impressive.

If you don't like what you buy the Leupold will be a lot easier to sell. I never looked through a high end Bushnel,wouldn't even consider one.

The Bushnell ET scopes have turrets and reticles for dialing and holding, and some are FFP. They have pretty good glass too.
I'm pretty sure they have a lifetime warranty.

Have been a member of a private shooting range for over 4 years now. Being retired, am able to visit our 700 member range at least 2 days a week, spending a couple of hours each time shooting paper. Have seen quite a variety of firearms and rifle scopes. Not uncommon for me to chat with a fellow shooter about scope he has on a rifle. Darn if I can remember ever seeing a higher end Bushnell scope, such as an Elite model, on a rifle. Mind you, many of our members fall into the category of blue collar workers, but more likely than not, put a pretty decent brand scope on their favorite rifle(s). Needless to say, Leupold scopes are popularly used. Not unusual for one of our more serious shooters to have a Nightforce, Schmitt Bender and etc. Also, whenever the topic of brand scopes to buy comes up among the gents I regularly shoot with and whose opinions on scopes are worth listening to, Bushnell never seems to be one mentioned.

I'm not bad mouthing Bushnell, just writing of my experiences. FWIW, if it is a Light Optical Works of Japan made Bushnell, ought to be a pretty decent scope.

Just what fw707 said, we picked one up from a liberty optics sale on the 6-24x50 mil mil and I'm extremely impressed. It's a lot of bang for your buck. I've shot it next to nightforce and schmidts and of course it doesn't compare to that caliber of a scope, but it is very good glass and the rain guard is top notch too. On the two bushnells that I've shot, turrets are accurate and the g2 reticle is very handy. I have it waiting to go on a 6x47 now and I believe it is a great scope or at least it has been for me.

I have a couple of Elite 4200's 2.5x10x40mm, one is marked Bausch&Lomb and the other Bushnell. I'm rather fond of both of them.

I also have an Elite 42oo 1.25x4x24mm with Ill. Dot that I find works very well also.

I did buy a Bushnell 1.5x6x40mm Ill. Dot Trophy that leaves some to be desired but is functional and it will kill coyotes if needed, I keep it as a backup scope.

on a side note, one thing u might check into is, sometimes companies will let u return the scope if it hasnt been mounted. A while back i was torn between two different scopes so i called the company i ordered from and asked them that if i opened the box up and looked thru the scopes if i could return one of the ones i didnt want. to my surprise they said yes as long as they were not mounted to a rifle.For the life of me i cant remember if it was Cabelas or Natchezs i ordered from. You might want to call ahead and see what their return policy is. Maybe u can order both and do a side by side comparison and send back the one u dont like. Especially since u arent able to get ur hands on either one of the scopes before making ur decision

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: lyotehuntergo to precisionrifle blog and see what they say about bushnell in their comparision.

I don't do any of the "blog" things.
What do they say?

Found it.
Thanks.
thumbup1.gif

Last edited:
i dont blog either but they have a website and they tested all the top end scopes and the bushnell elite tactical 3.5x21x50 with a 34m tube was right at the top

Originally Posted By: fredhorace77on a side note, one thing u might check into is, sometimes companies will let u return the scope if it hasnt been mounted. A while back i was torn between two different scopes so i called the company i ordered from and asked them that if i opened the box up and looked thru the scopes if i could return one of the ones i didnt want. to my surprise they said yes as long as they were not mounted to a rifle.For the life of me i cant remember if it was Cabelas or Natchezs i ordered from. You might want to call ahead and see what their return policy is. Maybe u can order both and do a side by side comparison and send back the one u dont like. Especially since u arent able to get ur hands on either one of the scopes before making ur decision
I ordered a 6.5x40 Leupold with 30mm tube from Cabelas last year,opened it,looked at it and changed my mind.They took it back no questions asked.

Back