Phoenix, AZ Coyote Hunting?

CC268

I know this is a shot in the dark but I live up in Cave Creek, AZ and my brother from Texas is coming to visit. He wants to go coyote hunting as he does a lot of it in Texas.

I was thinking of trying in the Seven Springs or Bloody Basin area but was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for some decent areas to call for coyotes?

I would stay away from any road that connects to a major highway. For years, every beginner gets the same idea and calls the exact same areas you describe. Plus being just outside of a major city with millions of people, you are going to run into far more frustrations than it is worth. IE; Bird hunters, atv riders, hikers, bikers or law enforcement checking on your "suspicious" vehicle. YOU NEED TO THINK OUTSIDE OF THE BOX.

Using Google maps, look for transition areas......the best definition for a transition area is a place where the terrain changes state. Like where a cotton field meets a creek.....Anyways there are lots of examples, the point is look for changing terrain. COYOTE FOOD IS NORMALLY LOCATED THROUGHOUT THESE SPOTS.

The coyotes will spend early morning and evening hours traveling through transition areas in search of food. Spend 15 to 30 minutes calling these areas using a distress sound to bring in a traveling coyote. (I can honestly say that I have called in a coyote with every distress sound on my Fox Pro) They all work or they wouldn't be there.

At about 9AM the coyotes have usually made it to bedding areas......look for brushy, thick areas or edges.
You have to carpet bomb the bedding areas, so you need to start these sets with something loud and alarming to wake them up. Coyote Vocals seem to do the trick in the middle of the day.......DO NOT OVER CALL AT THIS TIME!!!!

The idea is to wake them up, pizz them off and wait about ten minutes. If nothing shows up, drive one mile and do it again.

You would be surprised at how many doubles I call in doing this.

Good luck out there!

I may be doing some work down in the PHX area in the next year, is there really enough public space out there that's not completely over hunted or over-trafficked? I'll have to fly my rifle or shotgun down there, and don't want to go through the headache of 'hiding the rifle' in my car during the day, since they're not allowed on our work-sites - especially this one in particular since they employ ADC folks. Not in love with leaving my firearms at hotels during the day.

Alternatively, if there's any PHX'ers that don't mind hauling a flatlander around the desert, I'd appreciate that too!

Yes, there are millions upon millions of acres of public land. The problem is that there are also millions of people in Phoenix.

It is to the point that I regularly come across "glampers" who have resorted to parking their motor mansions next to cattle watering holes because vacant green areas become slim after about Thursday.

The main problem with hunting roads that connect to major highways. IE; The I-17, I-10, US-60......is what we refer to as "TRASH-SHOOTERS". These are people who think it is acceptable to take random trash and appliances out to the desert, usually against a hillside and riddle it with cheap ammo from the crack of dawn until well after sunlight.

This has also become a get after it early sport as most local communities are cracking down on the practice and "shooting pits" are becoming scarce. People will seriously set out ez-ups and tables the night before and begin rapid fire as the first morning light begins to creep in.

Anyways; the keys to success of hunting near Phoenix are what I call the five degrees of separation. I have my most successful hunts when I do five things that the average Joe will not.

#1 Look for roads that are on the left. Because of the median, most guys turn right from major highways when leaving town.
#2 Open at least one gate. Lots of gates have code or locks which are obtainable thru local channels.
#3 Cross deep sand or be forced to use 4WD.
#4 Hunt weekdays.
#5 Hunt days when the moon is up.

Back