rage hypodermic failed to open...

Dultimatpredator

So the ending results, 2 dead deer yesterday morning. I shot a buck and a doe and watched both fall over over within sight but neither broad head opened. I called Rage and they told me it was operator error. The Rep told me because I ligned the blades up with the slits in the shock collars the blades did not deploy. He also told me the directions that are included with these broad heads do not state it. I asked if they have or plan on updating their directions or publicly inform their customers on this issue and he said no and he hasn't had a lot of people call on blades not opening. He also told me to do a test and rotate the shock collars and push it through a cardboard box which I have not done yet....before I send them in for a $90 refund. The pic is the exit hole..
flikr

Last edited:
I tried to like pics from flikr and it wouldn't let me. If you click on my link and scroll back amend forth you'll see the heart where the broad head didn't expand and the buck

15756003236_6d1e39e087_b.jpg

At what point during the death of the animal did the broadhead fail
lol.gif

Sorry, I couldn't help it. I had a Spitfire 100 completely fail to open, and the deer also died. The next 3 worked like a charm.

If I ever do switch broadheads again, it won't be to another mechanical. Slick Tricks or Muzzys....

I know a lot of guys use them with great luck but I'm not a mechanical broadhead person at all. If it can fail it will with me, that's just the way my luck goes.

Yeah, the buck went 35 yards. I watched it drop in plain sight and expire in like 3 seconds after I shot it. So yes it killed well even without opening. I shot a doe about 15 minutes before I shot this one. The broad head didn't open on it either but it went 20 yards stopped and stood there for 3 min and laid down on the trail and expired. The buck tripped over it when it ran after the shot.

Last edited:
Two in a row that didn't open?
Like I said earlier, I don't shoot them so this is not words of experience, but I've had my customers tell me if the collars are not rotated to the correct position they will not operate properly. Good luck, hope you get them sorted out.

They told you to not line the blades up with the slits on the collar? What was their reasoning that that caused them not to open? I would think that would cause less resistance and open easier. The two deer I shot last year, I lined the blades up with the slits in the collar and they opened extremly well at 10 and 25 yds. Any info you can share would be much appreciated because I am going back out in the morning. Thanks!

Shelton

I rotated the collars last night like rages rep told me to do and the collars flailred out a little because the little catch on the blades are pushing on them. i can see the way I had them there was not any resistance.

Well I got my $95 back from the two packs of hypodermics and reinvested in three packs of the bass pro gator ss blackouts. I have never had a gator fail tomorrow open and have harvested dozens of deer without them. I just didn't want to drop down to a 1.5" cutting diameter. I will report next season on how they do.

Last edited:
BTW, I did rotate the collars as directed by Rage customer service and shot a coyote a few days later. The blades did not open again. everyone says Rage is great and the number one broad head on the market....that's according to Rages marketing dept. I can tell you first hand they don't work and had three failures to open in a row.

Last edited:
There is a reason some Western states do not allow expandable type broadheads. I have been shooting Muzzy's for over 10 years and have seen them perform time and time again. I have made some bad shoots over the years and the Muzzys have came through and picked up my slack. I have had some friends have the same problem with rage.

Back